Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't done anything with a muzzle loader in 15 or 20 years, did a lot in the 80's, 90's and into to 00's. Time to return. I dug my TC Renegade .50 out this morning and started going through my gear, looks like I am pretty complete, but I have a few questions.

First off, I have some real Black but also some Goex Clear Shot and APP CleanShot. Question: Do those last two load 1 to 1 by volume as Black? IOW, if I set my measure to, say, 90gr Black, will it throw the Goex and APP to a safe and more or less equivalent charge?

If I hate the substitutes, is there any reason I shouldn't load them in .44 Special or Magnum cases and play with them in one of my handguns? I've done that with Black long ago, worked just like it should; lots of smoke, lots of stink, lots of boom, it was lovely.

I broke the original ramrod back in the Jurassic and replaced it with an unbreakable synthetic which has a tip on the bullet end but no ferrule on the other end. I'd like to use it with a T-handle or ball at the range, do any of you know where to find a ferrule?

Besides Track of the Wolf, where are my best online sources?

Thanks in advance.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Do you have a good supply of #11 percussion caps? They are next to impossible to find and if you do they are rediculously expensive.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The substitute powders are designed to match 1:1 with Holy Black by volume, so yes, set your volume measure to your desired charge and shoot. They do NOT match 1:1 by weight though. The subs are generally lighter by weight, but take up the same volume.

Per your ramrod ferule. ToW is usually my go-to for any parts, but there's also MuzzleLoader Builders Supply, Log Cabin Shop, Dixie Gun Works, and a host of others that show up in a Google search. They're all good supply houses.

Did you consider drilling a shallow 3/8" hole in the ball of your short starter to place over the end of your ramrod to seat bullets easier? I do that anyway regardless if the rod is bare end or not. Makes it stupid easy on the hand to get the right seating pressure and I don't have anything like a T handle to keep track of.

If I need to do any cleaning or pulling at the range I have a long brass range rod that will withstand any abuse I can dish out, where a normal ramrod is best left to just load with.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks, men,

Yes, I understand it's measured by volume not weight, just wanted to confirm my memory for safety's sake. I'll take a look at the starter, I did some DIY stuff back in the day.

Sadly, I don't have a lot No. 11's.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On the caps.....

Look up "sharpshooter 22 LR reloader".

He has a cap maker kit on that site. We bought one and fiddled with it some. We tried the hammer route with it, but I think using it with a vise or arbor press would work a lot better. Heck, maybe i could even rig up something with my Rock Chucker press.

Make your own caps. Form the cup out of heavy beer can aluminum, then stick a dab of priming compound in it. Pretty rave reviews across the muzzleloader specific forums on the thing. Someday I'll mess with ours a little more. I'm more prone to shooting a flintlock than needing caps though.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
those subs being this old, may just go phzzzzz. both deteriorate with time. really, I would use them to fertilize the roses.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most replacement ramrods I have bought and used, all cane one length. A ferrule was supplied for the one end that you cut. Sometimes ther were sold separately. Be sure not to get a fiberglass one.

The Mountain Man store in Manitou Springs,CO has them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (204guy, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1234, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,535
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.