Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Been canoeing this creek for 40 years. Beautiful spot. Always dreamed of owning it. Don't think I can swing the asking price though. Caught my biggest smallmouth ever there last year.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea..._VA_24134_M93105-46983?from=srp-map-list

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
A bit steep on the price 😵‍💫

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like mentioned in the millionaire thread, NorEasters coming down and scooping up properties that seem high to us but a bargain to them.

Plenty of that is/has happened in that area[Bland/Giles/Wythe/Pulaski]

Pretty area for sure.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The house would be an interesting project.

Black Cows Matter!
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I grew up in Pearisburg and Walkers Creek was one of my favorite fishing spots, even though the New River was within walking distance.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I fish/canoe a stretch of North Carolina river that looks much the same. You can’t get a better day, IMHO. Nice smallmouth! What did you catch it on?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have to ask….

You can’t afford it

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Like mentioned in the millionaire thread, NorEasters coming down and scooping up properties that seem high to us but a bargain to them.

Pretty area for sure.

Sad to see the old farms being split up and "sub-divisions" being planted everywhere.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My family roots have been in that area since the early 1700s when that was all Frontier....Some of the very first people who settled in that area. Blood related to many people in that area still to this day. Several relative who own businesses there in Rich Creek, and Peterstown over in Monroe County. All over Monroe and Giles Counties.

Asking price of $800K, certainly shows they are looking for out of state money, who want to retire in Rural America.
Few locals would pay that much for anything, nor do they have that kind of money to pay for something like that.

I think of what that area was like 50 years plus ago.

In 1975 when I got out of college, there was a piece of property 30 miles from there, over in Monroe County, near Lindside.
A 4000 sq ft Farm House in Fantastic shape, very well kept up. Sat on 200 acres with 175 of it being farmed. Big barn in good shape etc. Asking price for it was $25,000 back in 1975. Fresh out of college, hell I could have easily afford that.

My grandmother knew the folks that owned it.. they were wanting to retire and move to Florida. She had been in that home many a time, and had known the folks her entire life. Monroe County isn't that populated and especially back in those days.
Wasn't a lot of out of the area money thru there. Grandma told me she wouldn't recommend me buying it.

Said the folks were asking twice what it is was worth. Trying to find an out of state buyer. Said locally the property wasn't worth a nickle over $12,500. Heck a VW Bug brand new cost like $2100.00 in those days. Don't I wish I could go back in time and not listened to grandma. Probably could have bought it for like $18K or so.

Have a cousin who owns a body shop at Colter's Chapel area, on Rt 219 and one in Rich Creek also. Jeff was buying farms in his early 20s in Giles and Monroe County. To this day he owns 5 or 6 farms he rents the land out to others who farm it.
Each one of them are 200 to 400 acres. Back in the early 80s, he bought them and paid cash for them. Jeff doesn't need to work at all....but like many of the locals and family, he has a strong work ethic... he's like me, doesn't WANT to retire.
We don't sit real well. My aunts and uncles are all gone now. My cousins are my age.... early to mid 70s. Most of them still work part time, if nothing else. My cousin Jim is 3 months younger than me.. still farms the three farms he owns which are about 700 acres each. The One he grew up on, which has been in his family for 150 years or so, and the other two that belonged to his wife's parents. Jim is also a retired postal worker, delivered the mail for 35 years. His dad did the same thing for 40 years... Jim took over his dad's route. Now Jim's son who is an Army Veteran delivers the same route, and owns a farm also. Jims has no reason to work, except he has a work ethic. He still subcontracts out and runs a back hoe and bulldozer, when people need that kind of work done. Father, son and now grandson have delivered the same mail routes for 85 years now, plus farmed, and also hired out to do backhoe and bulldozer work.

Both Jim and Jeff are both worth a couple of million in today's dollars. I miss the good old days, when the area was an inexpensive place to live. Remember when I was in College, my aunt got divorced and rented a 69 acre farm for about 10 years. 1973 to about 1982 or so. She paid $35 a month to rent that. She complained when the old guy who owned it, jacked up her rent to $50 a month.

Guess most folks down there couldn't afford to buy the very home they have lived on, for 7 to 10 generations. that is how long my ancestors have lived in that area. I miss the old days before that area got discovered....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
Been canoeing this creek for 40 years. Beautiful spot. Always dreamed of owning it. Don't think I can swing the asking price though. Caught my biggest smallmouth ever there last year.

What a remarkably porcine face. No wonder you have such a hateful disposition.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Pretty area for sure.

Sad to see the old farms being split up and "sub-divisions" being planted everywhere.

The destruction and infiux is massive. Virtually no area is safe. Funny thing is, even folks that are moving here are repulsed by it.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I fish/canoe a stretch of North Carolina river that looks much the same. You can’t get a better day, IMHO. Nice smallmouth! What did you catch it on?
Just a plain white grub. Redeyes and smallmouth fight to get to it first. Although last few years the redeye population has crashed. Years past you couldn't catch a smallie because the redeyes grabbed it as soon as it hit the water.
I still fish the New River but its gotten so crowded. I despise jet boats! The creek is always peaceful, but since kayaks have become so popular you actually see a few people, but they usually aren't fishing. 20 years ago we never saw another person.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ain’t it a coal mine close there?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Pretty area for sure.

The destruction and infiux is massive. Virtually no area is safe. Funny thing is, even folks that are moving here are repulsed by it.

We made the mistake of selling 10 acres to 'friends' 25 years ago that were getting married and were going to build on it.
Their marriage survived less than a year, prop wound up in the hands of a semi-retired couple from NJ that brought 3-4 horses for the hillside and 1 acre of pasture.
They said it was a 'steal' compared to what they left behind, I told them that they paid double what it was worth.

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful spot.

I need to win the lottery...

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Virginia is nice besides the taxes and it's controlled by Democrats.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You made me Google

😂😂😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just a plain white grub. Redeyes and smallmouth fight to get to it first. Although last few years the redeye population has crashed. Years past you couldn't catch a smallie because the redeyes grabbed it as soon as it hit the water.
I still fish the New River but its gotten so crowded. I despise jet boats! The creek is always peaceful, but since kayaks have become so popular you actually see a few people, but they usually aren't fishing. 20 years ago we never saw another person.

I tend to do best with a Panther Martin spinner or a small Rapala minnow. I remember when the rivers were full of Redeye too. I wonder what happened? A buddy of mine blames their decline on an increase in Muskys.

Don’t ever tell a soul about this creek! Look’s like you have a great spot!

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You made me Google

😂😂😂
I'm guessing he said something offensive. I don't pay much attention to anyone who attends BLM rallies.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Virginia is nice besides the taxes and it's controlled by Democrats.

To be fair, controlled by democrats once in a while.

And to be fair, all taxation is theft, but what taxes in Virginia are even remotely as bad or worse than other states actually controlled by democrats?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,221 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.