Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seems to be a lot of Remington TSS on the shelves, and it's a little less expensive than Federal. At least where I shop. Anyone shoot Remington TSS? And thoughts on quality, consistency, patterns, etc? I tend to like Remington lead shotshells.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I will find out soon enough. Rogers sporting goods have them cheap and I bought 3 boxes for my 12 gauge. I was going to only get two, but they have $15 off if you sign up for email and free shipping at $100. the 3rd box wasn't much of a stretch to buy.

As far as performace, I saw one you tube review of 7 shot in a 20 gauge and the pattern looked great at 40 yards so I think its decent stuff.

Maybe remington will bring the price down and bring all the competitors down with them. Remington and federal are the same company and they could dominate the commercial TSS market and influence prices. Hevishot TSS is way over priced. Browning seems to come in under federal.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went to Green Top in Richmond, Va today. Unfortunately, there was no price difference versus Federal. So I didn't get any Remington. I did pick up some Federal TSS 3" #9 in 12 gauge. I've not fired TSS in 12 gauge yet so I want to give it a whirl.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Side comment... dang fed ex is fast. I ordered the shells on Friday and got them from my neighbo on Sunday night (we grab each others packages to fight porch pirates...)

Fast.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am seeing several places with Remington TSS on sale.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d like to hear results as well.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Following

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My experience with the stuff, My opinion is in .410 and 28 TSS reigns supreme. In the 20 and 12 Hevi is devastating. In the 10 there’s no reason not to shoot lead. My 2cents but I’ve sent a lot of rounds down the barrel both at range in the field and in the lab. That said in my mind turkey hunting is a up close and personal game. If I can’t get him close, I haven’t won

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I patterned and killed a turkey last spring with Remington 410 tss. I was blown away by how much harder it hits. If I were hunting with a 12 or 10 gauge I would continue to just use lead instead of spend that kind of money on shells.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I shot the Remington tss #9 today in my Mossberg 20 gauge with a Carlsons LBXR .568 choke at 40 yards and could not tell any difference in between it and Federal heavyweight #9.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Were TSS less expensive, I'd probably be all in......but it isn't! Can't help it. I'll just continue to shoot 2.75" #8's. That's my go to.

My BIGGEST problem with TSS is that so many people talk about it like it's magic. Too many unscrupulous (you KNOW they're out there) hunters take the "magic" to heart.
Rather than take the time and effort to get a bird into range, they will rely on the "magic" and try ridiculously long shots.
I've killed several birds that had #4 and #5 shot embedded in the back of their legs. The result of idiot hunters delivering "parting shots" at the back side of retreating birds! 😉

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 03/22/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
#4's and #5's? Lead shot? Certainly not the magical #9 TSS! Sometimes I wonder if the continual TSS bashing is trying to convince us that use it, or themselves that don't! Look at all of hunting and how technology has progressed it. Some advancements are definitely worth it over others, and I personally think TSS shot is one of those advancements that's worth using. Would be nice if it didn't come from China, but that's not going to change any time soon. Again and again and again, use what you want...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lead comes from China now, too. "Assembled in USA" is about the best that can be claimed on factory shotshell boxes. That's not the same as "Made in USA."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
#4's and #5's? Lead shot? Certainly not the magical #9 TSS! Sometimes I wonder if the continual TSS bashing is trying to convince us that use it, or themselves that don't! Look at all of hunting and how technology has progressed it. Some advancements are definitely worth it over others, and I personally think TSS shot is one of those advancements that's worth using. Would be nice if it didn't come from China, but that's not going to change any time soon. Again and again and again, use what you want...

Never said TSS doesn't "work".
I just find that for my "style", lead #8's still work just fine.
I have some TSS in 3 inch .410. Just haven't had the opportunity to use it.....yet! But for my 16 gauge, it's a one ounce load of plain Jane lead #8's!

Got into a BIG argument with a jerk who claimed I couldn't kill turkey's with #8's....but he was all over #9 TSS!
Adjusted for range and lead works just as well as TSS.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Deflect all you want, and I never said #8 lead didn't work. Comparing #8 lead to #9 TSS isn't even close, with #8 lead being left far behind. My post was in response to yours, and others, continual claims of TSS isn't needed, too expensive, complain, complain, complain! If you don't want to use it, don't. But please stop acting like anyone that does want to use it, has something wrong with them! Do you still use a BW TV with the rabbit ear antenna on top? Because that definitely works! Please look up the difference between "need" and "want".

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've shot both and have killed plenty with both! With that being said tss outperforms any lead turkey shot I've ever used. Not talking from a pattern perspective but from a killing perspective. Yes lead works and has for 100s of years. TSS is superior to lead it drops anything it touches like thors hammer.
The added range is nice bonus but shouldn't be the only basis for buying/using it.
For anyone who likes handloading try loading your own. It's about 1/2 the price of stuff on the shelf and the satisfaction of killing one with your own is priceless.
On a side note from my rig it also throws a wicked pattern at 40yds

Last edited by Flhoundhunter28; 03/24/24.

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

40 yds
Franchi affinity 20 gauge
Indian creek .555

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Flhoundhunter28

40 yds
Franchi affinity 20 gauge
Indian creek .555

Very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anxious to hear if anyone has patterned the 12 ha Remington tss. As stated Roger’s has it pretty cheap

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I picked up some 20ga and would have to agree. Noticeably less dense than my hand loads but definitely a nice even pattern. For the price I’m pretty impressed. Shot out of Benelli m2 with hevi 13 578 choke.

Think i need a bigger gun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.