Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pard, if'n you was here I'd take you the bar and share a couple Roy Rodger's over a couple good hunting stories.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by paguy
We catch alot of big lingcod around here that grab a rockfish while were reeling them up. Some of the biggest lingcod we catch every year are caught that way.

That was exactly what I thought of when I saw the OP’s video. It’s probably unbelievable to some when you tell them that you “caught” a 15+ pound lingcod but it wasn’t even hooked. If we’re fishing rockfish we usually keep a net handy since the ling will let go once it gets to the surface and sees the boat. I’ve seen my fishing partners get the crap scared out of them when they expect to see a “seabass” but instead they see the big toothy bucket mouth ling coming at them. One of my friends almost went over the starboard gunwale while reeling up a rockfish from the port side, it wasn’t a ling that time but a seal that startled him. The seal had a pierced lip with a white curly tail Kalins grub in its upper lip. We saw that same seal several times that summer with the jig in its lip. Later, around late August the seals and sea lions had magically disappeared which was a very welcome reprieve from their constant annoyance. I asked the fish girl at Big Salmon what happened to the pinnipeds and she said that earlier the previous week a pod of Orcas came into the bay and methodically picked off every one of those bastards except 1 single female sea lion…the fish girl said that Neah Bay looked like Omaha Beach when the whales got into them…how I would have loved to see that!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by Seafire
One of the things I miss about my days in Minnesota. I think the biggest northern I caught was up on Lake of the Woods... about a 45 pound fish. I've seen some caught over in Wisconsin, over by Taylor's Falls, that were in the 60 lb range.

Had some friends, who's toy poodle fell off their boat into the lake, and a 60 pound or so northern, just came up and swallowed the poodle whole. Of course you could imagine how hysterical the wife was.... I think he husband enjoyed that tho.. he never liked that poodle. he was a big dog kind of guy.

Do you ever get sick of being full of shit or do you believe most of it at this point?

C'mon now!! He was there!!

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by 79S
I was in Wisconsin fishing for walleye when i heard this commotion coming from another boat. I look over and I see this gosh at least 65-70 pike eat this toy poodle. The lady was yelling hysterically for her husband to do something. He just stood there watching it was a sight to see. Later that day I caught 47.5lb walleye.

Bro, I was there albeit on shore hunting epic giant moose in the 138mph wind. Needless to say I had to scope the commotion with my trusty ol' 375H&H and accidentally popped one off and took out the fisherman's Hummingbird XP711. Don't know what stunned the dude more, loss of his wife's dog or the exploding fish finder.

If you weren't carrying hot you would not have shot his hummer.... Fact!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don’t start that again!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We catch alot of big lingcod around here that grab a rockfish while were reeling them up. Some of the biggest lingcod we catch every year are caught that way.

That was exactly what I thought of when I saw the OP’s video. It’s probably unbelievable to some when you tell them that you “caught” a 15+ pound lingcod but it wasn’t even hooked. If we’re fishing rockfish we usually keep a net handy since the ling will let go once it gets to the surface and sees the boat. I’ve seen my fishing partners get the crap scared out of them when they expect to see a “seabass” but instead they see the big toothy bucket mouth ling coming at them. One of my friends almost went over the starboard gunwale while reeling up a rockfish from the port side, it wasn’t a ling that time but a seal that startled him. The seal had a pierced lip with a white curly tail Kalins grub in its upper lip. We saw that same seal several times that summer with the jig in its lip. Later, around late August the seals and sea lions had magically disappeared which was a very welcome reprieve from their constant annoyance. I asked the fish girl at Big Salmon what happened to the pinnipeds and she said that earlier the previous week a pod of Orcas came into the bay and methodically picked off every one of those bastards except 1 single female sea lion…the fish girl said that Neah Bay looked like Omaha Beach when the whales got into them…how I would have loved to see that!
Most would crap them selves if they saw a 50lb lingcod with it's mouth wide open. Looks like it could swallow a basketball.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Mom and Dad a big built in aquarium when they built their house. We kept lots of different local fish in it. Bass eat the same way. They flare their gills and draw water through pulling what they eat into their mouth. They do strike and gulp as well. But normal feeding they swim up to what they eat and suck it in just like that Pike did.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That perch was dead as a mackerel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Nestucca

Door knob?

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Most would crap them selves if they saw a 50lb lingcod with it's mouth wide open. Looks like it could swallow a basketball.
Someone here has a pic very large ling skull preserved.

Might be a hint there. 😉

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've another fish tale. True, not stretched even a bit. I probably wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen it.

I was on the opposite side from our salmon counting camp on Good News River in SW Alaska, 1981, fishing for dinner when on the camp side of river I saw a fish jump out of the water onto a sloping bank 18 inches or so above water surface, flop once or twice, then back into the river.

Repeat twice more.

I figured it was a fish with a tangled line- a couple guided drift boats had come thru a couple hours before, down from Redfish Lake, so I waded over to investigate.

Just in front of the sloped overhang cutbank was a big drowned willow, with a washtub sized opening in the center. Figuring I'd lose my lure (a Krokodile or R&W spoon- I forget which - I jigged it down in the opening, just for the heck of it, and it got taken. No fight to the fish as I easily lead it out to a 6 inch wide, foot long "beach" just above the cut-bank and landed it.

6 1/2 pound hen rainbow - supper for 3 men and some for the Lab!

She had several voles in her stomach, one in her gullet, and another in the upper throat or mouth, with the tail hanging out the corner of her mouth.

Greed can kill you... and being over-stuffed makes one lethargic...

Nearest I could figure from the sign - a vole runway near the crest of the overhanging cutback - she was skylining voles on their trail and leaping ashore to nail them, then flopping her way back into water.

I've posted this here before, and it was published in a letter to some outdoor magazine - Western Outdoors I think.

The editor (Steve?) didn't believe me either.... but that's OK... I saw it. smile

Last edited by las; 02/27/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Hell, you were there!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s a pretty awesome story, las. Hadn’t read it before so thanks for sharing again.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That would be a pretty cool thing to witness and a 6 pound blood thirsty wild rainbow would be a great catch. It sounds like the trout in the Good News River could be the Alaska version of the Siberian Taimen?…. I wonder how much DNA they share that is not present in other populations?

Mousing for trout would be atypical fun!👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
las, it's so cool to see stuff like that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Several times I have had bigger pike swallow a smaller pike that I had caught and was reeling in.
I have never been able to land a twofer but have tried damn hard.
I guess you were the bigger pike.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 160user
Big gators can eat pretty much anything they want.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One of the things I miss about my days in Minnesota. I think the biggest northern I caught was up on Lake of the Woods... about a 45 pound fish. I've seen some caught over in Wisconsin, over by Taylor's Falls, that were in the 60 lb range.

Had some friends, who's toy poodle fell off their boat into the lake, and a 60 pound or so northern, just came up and swallowed the poodle whole. Of course you could imagine how hysterical the wife was.... I think he husband enjoyed that tho.. he never liked that poodle. he was a big dog kind of guy.

Get out of the twin cities, a lot of great folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

That’s awesome, a 60 pound Northern! WOW!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 160user
Big gators can eat pretty much anything they want.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Get out of the twin cities, a lot of great folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

This is on par with “hey I wrote the script for Airwolf” or “didja know I pheasant hunted with Lee Van Cleef, he was my neighbor”

🤣🤣

Or “hey I donate shît to kids from my flea market sales”

“Snoop and me be goin to the Compton Swap Meets”

DR Dre be goin thru my music and shît”

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Since the trout eat mice/voles in the water all the time I suspect no difference to the trout on the bank. Got lucky the first time and figured it was a gold mine until Las came along.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nestucca

That's what I think. Looks like he was just taken out of the freezer and tossed in the water. Good camera work though.

Last edited by SupFoo; 02/28/24.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,042
Posts18,482,067
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.