-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50 rounds of the Winchester 130gr FMJ 38spl in a S&W Centennial resulted in my trigger figure bleeding.

The gun torqued in my hand. Rear edge of the trigger eventually dug through my skin.

I suspect the 357 version would be carry lots , shoot little.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
To the original question …yes

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The updated sights look awesome. I would love to shoot one. But ,the updated price does not. Theses days the QC of S&W is a pot luck dinner, read that as all over the place and not in a good way!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 2 inch airlite will last a lifetime because after 5 rounds I am done shooting it. It replaced an air weight whose frame cracked under the barrel sent back to smith and they offered and upgrade and charged me for the difference. If I can shoot 7 rounds of .380 into a 4 inch circle at 10 ft, why carry a hand bruiser that shoots 5 and is uncomfortable to practice with? To top it off I am not as accurate with it. Get a Glock 380 or a Kahr 380.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

JFC not this BS again, the usual cast of geriatric Fudds lamenting some passed along tale of woe or single astronomically rare experience of poor QC that was dealt with post haste at no expense to said Fudd in regards to "newer" 'Smiths. Buy with confidence, they're great guns, probably aren't but a handful of guys here that could ever wear one out. Pre 1982 is never coming back, deal with it.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jimmyp
My 2 inch airlite will last a lifetime because after 5 rounds I am done shooting it. It replaced an air weight whose frame cracked under the barrel.

Exactly what I'm talking about in this and the N frame QC thread, Fudd when being honest has to admit that his prized OLDER 'Smith's (just like anything else) are equally capable of breaking, and that in what's left of his lifetime will never come close to wearing one out much less go through a box of shells. JFC....
Second example in this thread alone of Smith standing behind their product with excellent customer service and replacing without fuss a piece that had issues. Buy one and shoot it, you can't lose.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by RHClark
I am still considering different handguns for light weight carry. I've heard disparaging remarks about the new Smiths. What if any issues do new 38sp Airweights have? If an older model would be better, what years should I look for? Does anyone else make a better-quality light weight 38sp?

I recently bought a NIB 637. I've only put 37 rounds through it so far (testing different loads) and dry fired it (on snap caps) a couple of hundred times. So far so good.
I'm going to carry it with a handloaded 125 gr JHP at 948 fps. Shoots to POA at 7 yds.

Do I qualify as a geriatric Fudd at 71?

Last edited by GregK; 02/26/24.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Life Member, Saugerties Fish and Game Club
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by GregK
Originally Posted by RHClark
I am still considering different handguns for light weight carry. I've heard disparaging remarks about the new Smiths. What if any issues do new 38sp Airweights have? If an older model would be better, what years should I look for? Does anyone else make a better-quality light weight 38sp?

Do I qualify as a geriatric Fudd at 71?

You've disqualified yourself from Fudd status, you've (gasp) bought a post 1982 S&W revolver and fired more than 5 rounds though it, refraining from steering someone away from a purchase based on nothing more than your thirst for nostalgia, or rumors of poor QC that you've "heard" about, giving results based on first hand knowledge. You're in the clear.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My oldest 642 has an unbelievable number of 148 wadcutters and 158 gr LRN & SWC at 650-750 through it. Not counted recently but it’s long broke 10k I’ve not run a lot of +p through it but I always thought it’d break before or around 10k. I go through 38 reloads like potato chips. That particular one a bent a pin on it long ago… I fudded it up. S&W fixed it lickity split. I really find all this talk about new Smiths not being any good as hilarious. For one, S&W sells a a ton of revolvers. I’ve bought 2 dozen new revolvers not a one had had a problem. I had a Ruger SP101 that was a steaming pile of $hit though. If there is something wrong with your S & W, they will certainly fix it.
S.

Last edited by smallfry; 02/26/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're still good, still got attitude...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5thShock
They're still good, still got attitude...

[Linked Image]

Great book!

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Exchipy
The AIRWEIGHT was also made with a 3” barrel. But, they are quite hard to find, and priced accordingly:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]This one cost an arm, but thankfully not also a leg.

The only "advantage" of 3" barrel on .38 Special is extra challenge in finding a holster one really wants. Alternative to light weight S&W are LCR/LCRx from Ruger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Slavek
The AIRWEIGHT was also made with a 3” barrel. But, they are quite hard to find, and priced accordingly:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]This one cost an arm, but thankfully not also a leg.

Alternative to light weight S&W are LCR/LCRx from Ruger.
Not really

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Rugers are cheaper, in every sense of the word.
As far as recoil goes, I load my own. My 629 shoots full factory fine. I prefer higher mid-range loads.
For super light revolvers I load hard cast and not full case of H110.
The 380 ammo is the highest priced stuff out there. If you shoot much it will hurt your pocket book.
I went to the local gun shop and picked up a 380 for my daughter-in-law as a gift. I picked up a box of ammo while I was at it. The pistol was cheaper, but with only one box of ammo the price was higher than the similar 9mm with one box of ammo. Besides my son has a 9mm too.
She will not be burning up lots of ammo.
If you don’t reload, you can buy low recoil 38 ammo, I’d lean towards the 357 and shot 38 in it if recoil was an issue and if you don’t reload.

Go to a dealer with a range to rent a revolver or two along with ammo.

For me, no question at all - S&W all the way.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/28/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best period guns to look for are those with magnum J-frame ca. 1997 or later. The internal lock came about 2002 if that bothers you. This is good if you plan shooting lot of .38 +P out of gun. The advantage to .38 with +p compatibility stamped on barrel is less cost over gun chambered for .357 magnum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek

The only "advantage" of 3" barrel on .38 Special is extra challenge in finding a holster one really wants. Alternative to light weight S&W are LCR/LCRx from Ruger.

Oh hell, that was funny! grin grin grin

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.