Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One full stocked CZ was damn nice, but expensive ($900.00). Correction, $995.99!!!!!!! Fuuuuuck that!!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The trainer (CZ 452) was $399.99, and I almost bought it. However, the rifle I really wanted was an old Winchester model 320. That was a very nice rifle, that looked very similar to a pre 64 model 70. Felt almost like it in the hands too. It was set up with an aperture front sight, and looked like it used to wear a rear aperture, but it was missing. It still had the rear ramp sight on it though. I damned near walked out with that one today. It was priced high, at $399.99, but I could have got it for less.

Check out this old ammo I found:

The RWS Dynamit Nobel target, and Lapua Midas L, looks pretty old. Kind of cool to find old ammo like this. The Federal gold medal target was thrown in for good measure at $35.00/brick. I've always liked Federal rimfire ammo, so it's likely going to shoot well for me. We will soon see!!!

Another surprise was when I went to Scheels:
It was nice to see all the choices of Eley ammo. I bought 2 boxes of the "Semi automatic benchrest outlaw". I've never heard of the stuff and wanted to try it out. The only downfall was the price tag at $10.99/box. So, if you guys get desperate, they may have some 22lr ammo you could get to try out..

I have a question about the Winchester model 320 though. Who has them, and what do you think of them? I know they are probably overlooked, as we don't hear much about them here. This rifle looked like it was built well and probably a sleeper. It felt great in the hands. Now I wish I would have bought it. Probably could have got it for $370.00, but that price may still be high??? Any opinions on this rifle would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's one history:

https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2007/03/winchester-model-320.html

The guns are supposedly very similar to the Kimber Model 82 rifles as the actions were made by the folks who later started Kimber, Omark (Sportco) in Australia. The action was originally designed and built by Jack Warne who sold out to Omark and then moved to the USA to start up Kimber Arms. I used to hear these describe as a poor man's Kimber (which sold for over $500 new or 10 times the cost of the 320). They share the same magazines with those for the 320 being with plastic rather than the aluminum followers.

Bruce

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bcp
Here's one history:

https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2007/03/winchester-model-320.html

The guns are supposedly very similar to the Kimber Model 82 rifles as the actions were made by the folks who later started Kimber, Omark (Sportco) in Australia. The action was originally designed and built by Jack Warne who sold out to Omark and then moved to the USA to start up Kimber Arms. I used to hear these describe as a poor man's Kimber (which sold for over $500 new or 10 times the cost of the 320). They share the same magazines with those for the 320 being with plastic rather than the aluminum followers.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I appreciate that!! That's just a sexy rifle, as far as I'm concerned. But I like Winchester model 70's too..Thanks for the article. It was a good read. Now I'm wondering when the rifle was made, that I was looking at today!!! Probably 1974. Knowing my luck..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Winchester 320 was the rifle the Kimber 82 was designed from . They are very similar and 320 magazines will usually (but not always) work in Kimber 82 rifles. At $399 it is actually a pretty good price- the last few I've seen have been around $600-$750 or so. They usually have fairly plain wood on them, but it is usually pretty straight grained and stable. Should be a good shooter .

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
The Winchester 320 was the rifle the Kimber 82 was designed from . They are very similar and 320 magazines will usually (but not always) work in Kimber 82 rifles. At $399 it is actually a pretty good price- the last few I've seen have been around $600-$750 or so. They usually have fairly plain wood on them, but it is usually pretty straight grained and stable. Should be a good shooter .

Thanks buddy. I appreciate that info! I didn't know they were bringing that much. I know you like RWS ammo, have you ever seen or used that ammo I have pictured? I am going to save the box, after I shoot it. The Lapua Midas L is pretty old too. Wondering if it's from the 80's??

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I owned a 320 In the late 80s. I was also an "early adopter" of the Kimbers buying a brand new m82 22LR Classic in the Spring of 1981. It was in the serial number 1100 range. The stock on it was one of the last built for Kimber by EC Bishop in Mo before Kimber started making their own.

I got lucky with my 320. A pawnshop in OKC (that was normally way overpriced on their guns) had a near mint Winchester 320 sitting in the used rack for $65- which was dirt cheap even back then. It was that cheao because it did not have a magazine and they had no idea where to source another. I knew the design heritage of the gun and knew they used Kimber mags. I had a Kimber 82 magazine at home , so I bought it. It was a neat lightweight little rifle. It was also pretty accurate . About a year later a dealer freind who collected Winchester rimfires offered me 3 times what I paid for it about as he had never seen a 320 come through his shop.

The Sportco connection to the Winchester 320 is correct. Winchester bought the actions directly from Sportco snd I think they were marked "made in Australia" undeneath the action. I think that Winchester actually bought only the actions.The 310/320s were barrelled and stocked here.

The familly connection between Sportco and Kimber (The Warne family) is also very real . Calling the Winchester 320 "a poor mans Kimber" however , is pretty silly if you compare them side by side.

Th only parts the 320 and the Kimber 82 share in common is the forward portion of the bolt design and the magazine.

Everything else on the Kimber 82 is different and substantially upgraded.

Thr M82 reciever is quite a bit thicker(Same diameter as a Win 52, I believe) and it has two locking lugs like a Winchester n52/ ,Anshutz 54/ CZ 452. The m320 only has one lug like the CZ 457

The m82 trigger and safety design is much more sophisticated as well.

All that being said though, the little Winchester 320 I owned shot about as well as any Kimber 82 sporter I owned shooting equivilent quality ammo. It was a good little gun.

Last edited by jk16; 02/28/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That full stock CZ is nice. I had a chance at a 320 a couple years ago but someone got to it first. That price may have been a bit high but probably not by much these days. One sold with a number of bids on GB at 295 but it had a little pitting/ rust on the barrel. Nice looking 22s

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of great info guys. I appreciate it!! I found an old Winchester rimfire rifle ad, and they said the 320 was "patterned to resemble the model 70". I thought It looked very similar. Now, I love my Winchester model 52 sporter, but this rifle seemed more familiar for a reason:

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
BSA - under $400 for a 320 today would be a pretty good price for one in good plus condition. I have one and it’s a decent rifle and accurate (I really haven’t put it through its paces - i.e. different ammo) but I’m thinking it could be very accurate? I have some of that old Midas L left over from a 2000s purchase (different box than what you have) but I’m not sure if it was from then or even a little earlier? Many of my .22s loved that stuff! Also I was wrong on your Federal ammo - that’s Federal’s 900B - excellent ammo (not the UM1/UM22 I was thinking of) - you can get 800 rounds of it on Gunbroker right now for a mere $320🥴

I’m also beginning to think you might have a “problem” with gun shops😄……..and i should know🤔!!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/28/24.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I buy every bit of Lapua Midas L and Multi-match L (Red Box) I can find , My 52D loves it and wins me matches if I do my part.
The L stands for .001 oversize the standard bullet !
The CZ 452 and the Winchester 320 would have both come home with me if I had seen them.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mighty specialized inventory for a gun shop in Eastern Nevada. Or, was it somewhere else?

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I recognize those hang tags BSA- that’s a great shop with a nice inventory.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by robertham1

Hell yes. You and your brother recognize those hang tags. It's a great shop. There are some real gems in there at times, as you know.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
BSA - under $400 for a 320 today would be a pretty good price for one in good plus condition. I have one and it’s a decent rifle and accurate (I really haven’t put it through its paces - i.e. different ammo) but I’m thinking it could be very accurate? I have some of that old Midas L left over from a 2000s purchase (different box than what you have) but I’m not sure if it was from then or even a little earlier? Many of my .22s loved that stuff! Also I was wrong on your Federal ammo - that’s Federal’s 900B - excellent ammo (not the UM1/UM22 I was thinking of) - you can get 800 rounds of it on Gunbroker right now for a mere $320🥴

I’m also beginning to think you might have a “problem” with gun shops😄……..and i should know🤔!!!

PennDog

Ha ha. Yes I definitely have a problem.

As for the Federal ammo. That is some I found yesterday. It is different than the Federal Gold Medal Match stuff I posted the other day. So the new stuff is 900B? The old stuff was made in '92, but I have not looked at the box to see if it had the markings on it like you guys said it would. I should do that, but have been busy running around. Put 400 miles on the car yesterday!! Uggghh..

I did a little research, and found the 900 on the box of the old Federal ammo, and 711B on the stuff I bought yesterday, so I guess that answers some questions. I think I did alright at $35/brick of the new Federal target ammo, although, through some research, heard it does not shoot as well as the 900B (older stuff).

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
I buy every bit of Lapua Midas L and Multi-match L (Red Box) I can find , My 52D loves it and wins me matches if I do my part.
The L stands for .001 oversize the standard bullet !
The CZ 452 and the Winchester 320 would have both come home with me if I had seen them.
Rich

Thanks Rich. The funny thing about the CZ is I could have bought one a few months ago for $360.00. Maybe even a little less, if I would have thrown them an offer. That was at a different shop. That shop also had an old BRNO model 2 heavy target rifle for the same price ($360.00). I did a little research on those, and I guess they have a huge following and they are pretty rare. Selling for upwards of $1,000.00. I didn't need another target rifle though, but I bet that baby would shoot!!! I may head back in a couple days and check on the Winchester, as that rifle was really calling my name!! Even though there were a couple things that were not original on the rifle. It had an extra sling attachment, and it also had the front target sight. Those things don't scare me off though, as it's a rifle I'd definitely use.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by robertham1
Hell yes. You and your brother recognize those hang tags. It's a great shop. There are some real gems in there at times, as you know.
Sounding more like South Reno. I know a place there where I’m sure I paid for their vacation home, over the years.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RWS Nobel is some pretty old ammo, but should be very good ammo. I have some newer RWS Rifle Match and it is about the most accurate ammo I've ever shot (too cheap to buy Eley or Lapua) . My Kimber and Winchesters love the stuff. I wish I had bought a lot more when it was on sale.

I had some of the older Federal Gold Medal Target and it was awesome ammo. Very accurate- on par with some Eley and the RWS and extremely clean shooting. Once it was gone I bought some of the newer manufactured stuff and it isn't nearly as good. Kind of like the old Winchester Power Point ammo. The early stuff in the silver boxes was amazing ammo- as accurate as most of the target ammo I was buying, but the hollow point was amazing on critters. The new PP ammo made here in the US is acceptable for hunting ammo, but not nearly as accurate as the Australian produced stuff.

Looks like you've found a real treasure trove of gun shops down there. Funny, we are going the other direction around here. Hard to find a decent gunshop around here any more...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA…don’t get your hopes up too high with that federal target. It’s mediocre at best, but I rekkon you’ll wring the most out of it for sure

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RWS Nobel is some pretty old ammo, but should be very good ammo. I have some newer RWS Rifle Match and it is about the most accurate ammo I've ever shot (too cheap to buy Eley or Lapua) . My Kimber and Winchesters love the stuff. I wish I had bought a lot more when it was on sale.

I had some of the older Federal Gold Medal Target and it was awesome ammo. Very accurate- on par with some Eley and the RWS and extremely clean shooting. Once it was gone I bought some of the newer manufactured stuff and it isn't nearly as good. Kind of like the old Winchester Power Point ammo. The early stuff in the silver boxes was amazing ammo- as accurate as most of the target ammo I was buying, but the hollow point was amazing on critters. The new PP ammo made here in the US is acceptable for hunting ammo, but not nearly as accurate as the Australian produced stuff.

Looks like you've found a real treasure trove of gun shops down there. Funny, we are going the other direction around here. Hard to find a decent gunshop around here any more...

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I recognize the RWS Target. I have a brick of it left from a case I bought back in the late 70's or early 80's. It always shot quite well in all my rimfires back then. I would buy the Target, The Subsonic, and R50 by the case back then. The RWS subsonic I would use for Squirrel hunting, but also discovered that my S&W 41 loved it, so I shot it in competition in the model 41. I still have over a brick of the subsonic and R50 from those days. Wasn't sure how the newer RWS Subsonic would shoot but it's just as good as it always has been.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 34 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.