-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have tried to like gaiters…I really have. They make my legs too hot, even the thinner pairs and don’t do much for keeping moisture out of my boots.

Kennetreks haven’t lasted me one season. I tried a few sets. They always tore at the seams and normal usage wore through the material quickly. Several other synthetic brands just wouldn’t last either. Those I know who have used the OR Crocs and Kuiu seem to think they’re quality, and I have no reason to doubt them. If I try another pair of synthetics I may go for one of them.

This was less than 2 miles into a sheep hunt with brand new Kahtoola LevaGaiter GTXs. They promptly sent another pair, which were as equally short lived.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what I currently have, which are NOT what I would recommend for what the OP is looking for, other than maybe the Swazi. The brown Sleeping Indian wool pair is over 30 years old, has had the zippers replaced twice and the boot strap and snaps once. They are stupid high quality. The grey wool/leather Waldkauz I just got, and have worn them trapping the last few weeks. They’re nice so far. Both are heavy wool and I wouldn’t even consider them if I wasn’t in 3 feet of snow.

For what the OP wants, I’d give OR Crocs or Kuiu Yukon a try and see what shakes.

I do NOT recommend trash bags and duct tape, but it has worked during a freak snowstorm at 11,000 feet in the Ruby’s 😀.

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff. An acquaintance that wears gaiters pretty much any time he’s out suggested the Peax and said they have held up well for him so far.

I agree, most cases for me they are way to hot. A few times a a short cholla was hiding in the grass waiting to attack and I wish I had them though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot about Peax. I will look into them.

Last edited by T_Inman; 02/25/24. Reason: I had heard of them, just forgot about them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the same luck with Kenetreks as SLM and T. Rivet pulled out after a couple leisurely strolls. I'm also not a gaiter guy so haven't rushed to replace them with anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OR Crocs for me.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks again guys.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Huntsman is right (per usual).

Lots of good ones out there, but the OR Croc HDs are as bombproof as anything ever made.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
OR Crocs for me.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Yep. I’ve worn out a few pairs of ORs Expedition Crocs, and have a pair of the KUIU Yukons near the end of their service life. They’re both great gaiters, each with positives and negatives. I like the fit and slightly quieter fabric of the Yukons, but other than the Velcro flap on the toe, the ORs are far more durable.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big gaiter fan. I wear them all hunting season. They can get warm - but I take them if they do. In general, I rarely take them off. If you see me in hunting season without gaiters, its because i forgot them........Kennetrek for me.

Whatever you chose, DO NOT BUY ANY WITH ANY TYPE OF CLOTH on the band under the boot. I had a pair of Cabelas gaiter early on and the strap under the boot was some kind material that absorbed water - which caused snow to stick to it. It felt like walking around with a softball under you foot.

I have a pair of Kuiu that only cover about 4-5-6 inches. They work great for early season and general hiking. Keeps stick, leaves, dirt out of my hiking shoes/boots.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Second on the Outdoor Research gaiters. Mine are more like 20 years old. IIRC purchased them from REI.

Third here. Mine are at least 20 years old - probably closer to 25. I was wearing them long before any of the fancy Sitka, Kuiu, gear existed. It was wool pants with gaters back then. The gortex is a little worn out and so is the velcro, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the $85+ price tag on the new ones.

They are one of the best pieces of hunting clothing a guy can have. Not sure about the new brands, but you want the top cinch strap to be above the top of your calf muscle - almost right under the knee. Don't get the short ones.

IC B3

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Outdoor research is what I use as well. So far so good.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I suppose it really depends on "why" you'd want to wear gaiters in the first place.

Here in southwest Oregon, I have to contend with these little burrs that infest the lower foothills.
They get in my socks, boot laces and pants cuffs. They can be an absolute pain in the a$$.

I'm running Kenetrek now. They work so-so on the burrs. They keep them off my boots and clothing, but pick up a lot of the burrs on their own. They're not easy to clean off, but better than going without.

There's a brand called "Rattlers" that have a harder outer shell that does a good job of keeping the burrs off without picking up much themselves. Those can pretty much just be brushed off by hand or whisk broom. As a bonus, they're snakebite proof, if that's something you might find useful.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using Kennetrek gaiters for at least 15 years. Just got a second pair this year when the lace hook on my original pair finally gave out (I've sewn up a couple of tears over the years). The new set is better than the first set. Lace hook is much better than the original set and the velcro is excellent. I generally wear gaiters any time I'm hunting with a firearm. They keep the bottom of my pants dry and free of mud and snow, protect my pants and boots to some degree, I can quickly cross a narrow, shallow, bit of water without getting real wet, keep burrs off my lower legs, help to keep my legs warm, and probably some things I'm forgetting. They only take 2 minutes to put on and I've never wished I didn't have them.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Been rocking outdoor research gators so long the red looks pink.

Cant imagine any serious hunt without them.. helps keep water out of boots on stream crossing dashes.

Keeps stones out of boots on scree slides

Snow stays out.

I’d rather hunt in good shoes and gators, then good boots no gators for all hunts but tahr hunts

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[quote=Aagaardsporter]Second on the Outdoor Research gaiters. Mine are more like 20 years old. IIRC purchased them from REI.[/quote
I used them for sheep hunting,,not all hunts but when you need them they are damn handy to have.

I tend to use more than enough gun
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been wearing OR gaiters for YEARS, they are bullet proof, ( except when the dog chews the straps). I am in Arizona now and when I am in the brush they keep the sharp sticky things out of my legs. I would not be without them. A little noisy going through the timber but if your careful not to bad,

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
In lower country I prefer to run knee high Schnees boots. The leather is pretty much bomb proof and no need for extra gaiters.

That said they do not offer great support so if going up and down I switch to mountain boots and gaiters. OR has done just fine for me so far. I would prefer the Schnees if they gave the support needed though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been using the OR Crocs for years and have no reason to try any others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started wearing these https://www.kuiu.com/products/kutana-storm-gaiter-ash?variant=40340367245470 a couple years ago and won't hunt without them unless it's REALLY warm. They keep your pants and upper boots dry from morning dew and keep wind from blowing up your pant legs while sitting. Also keeps burrs, bugs and trash from getting inside your boots. Wear them when hiking too when it's cold. Can't imagine going without them anymore.

Last edited by 257Bob; 02/28/24.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wear gaiters whenever there is snow or heavy moisture on the ground to keep water out of my boots. I run bear and lion hounds so I'm hills pretty much every weekend year round. I've owned several pair of OR gaiters over the years but I rarely get more than a years use out of them before I have to replace them because of tears and snags from wading through the underbrush. The best most durable gaiters I've used have been Kuiu Yukons. I'm not saying they are bullet proof, but I have generally gotten a good three years use out of them before they needed to be replaced.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 25 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,045
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.