Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
We don’t do a lot of printing, but need something basic. Really only need B/W as well.

Recommended brand/model?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wal-Mart had a HP 38$ got one hooked up to wife's phone. Printed taxes that's all we needed. Use one maybe three times a year. All wireless.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm completely happy with my HP Envy 6055e

Print/scan deal. Has color but it's not expensive. Sits on my desk under my cat most of the day. He likes laying on it.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got a Brother Lazer. It only does b/w but you’ll get a lot of prints off one cartridge. I gave up on ink jets. The print heads dry up and they’re junk if you don’t print a lot. Cartridges are expensive as well. I never printed colors much anyway.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It’s a L2395lw I think.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had the best luck with HP's over the years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The issue with HP printers is that you MUST use their brand name ink cartridges. They have a chip and the printer will not work without it. HP inks are not cheap.

I highly recommend Brother or Epson printers. Both can use aftermarket ink cartridges from places like needink.com (the source I use for my Brother.) I seldom print colors, and my carts tend to dry up and clog. I'll be looking at a B&W only printer when and if this Brother dies.

Wife has an Epson tank model because she prints a LOT.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If monochrome is all that's needed I'd go laser if doing much printing, the cost per page printed is about 1/5 of inkjet.

We have 5 factory refurbished Canon monochromes here and have never had any issues with aftermarket cartridges or the printers themselves[some are 10 years old now].
All 5 are MFC's

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The issue with HP printers is that you MUST use their brand name ink cartridges. They have a chip and the printer will not work without it. HP inks are not cheap.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

These are the cartridges I have in my HP. Works fine. Made by Abfray, sold by Amazon. 25 bucks a pair.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll never allow an HP printer over my threshhold again. Screw them and their bullshit software and ink cartridge tricks.

I bought an Epson Eco-Tank printer and have been very pleased with it the last couple or three years. Ink is very reasonable, and the thing pretty much will print when I want it to instead of clicking and clacking and spewing ink all over the place to waste as much as possible. It wasn't cheap up-front, but for the trouble and aggravation saved and ink money saved it was money well spent. I'd have used six or eight sets of cartridges by now and the money saved on the initial cost of the printer would be long gone.

HP can go to hell.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We gave up on ink jet printers a few years ago. The darn ink would try up in the pens and turn print jobs into crap. We went with an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw Wireless Monochrome All-in-One Printer with built-in Ethernet & 2-sided printing. Print, copy, scan, and fax. We love it, but it's not cheap like the OP is looking for, $800. There are some basic laserjets out there that will fill the bill for you. Call it up on Amazon and see what's available and what they cost.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
We don’t do a lot of printing, but need something basic. Really only need B/W as well.

Recommended brand/model?
1) First clue "We don't do a lot of printing."
So this rules out an inkjet printer. Inkjets need to be "exercised" (used) at least once a week to keep the printhead from clogging.
2) Second clue "Really only need B/W" which means a low cost laser printer is on the table.

The best, low cost laser printers for home use and light office use are by Brother.
I like their printers with a built-in scanner so I can copy receipts, blueprint details etc.
If you buy a model that can use aftermarket toner cartridges, you can print for pennies.
Laser printers can sit unused with no harm to the printer.

This is similar to what we have been using. Printer with "flat bed scanner" combo.
There are other models with more or less features.
Before you buy and if you want to use aftermarket toner cartridges, make sure that they are available.
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochrome-HLL2395DW-Cloud-Based-Replenishment/dp/B0764NWFP8?th=1

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Teal, is that an older HP? It's the newer ones that have the "chip in the cartridge" requirement.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainshot
It’s a L2395lw I think.

Yep, A Brother Laser is what gets used mostly here. HL-L2395DW for the b/w stuff. The wife also has a color laser Brother HL-L3270CDW after our issues with the ink jet stuff. Brothers are always highly rated by Consumer Reports. Ours have been perfect.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Recommended brand/model?
Recently picked up a HP laser jet MFP M232e. Best, fastest printer I have ever owned. B/W only. About $100

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Teal, is that an older HP? It's the newer ones that have the "chip in the cartridge" requirement.

They've always had the 'chip'.
Most IJ cartridges have a expiration date due to liquid ink.
The problem is with the re-manufacturers not fixing that portion of the chip.

The computer/printer reads the chip and it throws a 'out of date' code, then the printer won't run with it.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't had any dealings with him myself, but I've heard that some guy named Gutenberg does good work. Only drawback is that he seems to be located in Germany.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have a 10 y/o Brother all in one laser (B&W) works great, toner lasts a long time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently got a Brother printer/scanner that I am happy with so far as a replacement for a POS HP that I tolerated for only about 6 months.
I found the reviews on the Brother printers to be very good when I researched a replacement. I would go with a Brother or an Epson.
I've had good luck with HP computers but their printers suck.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
be careful with HP inkjets. If the color runs out the B&W won't print.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.