Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Plumdog
What about Buena Vista?
Another good choice. You could just pump water straight out of the Arkansas. If you bought the right house.

Wow, I don't know your source for this information but it completely opposite of all that I know. Just talked to a Colo Water Recourses engineer about the Arkansas drainage and she is expecting to be sued at any time for failing to supply enough for downstream owners.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction. I really like the area and I enjoy my visits there. I know there are small towns in the area and I would look at one of them.

kwg

Palisade is where I’ve lived for the last 35 years. I’ve been in Western Colorado for 40 years and grew up in Eastern Colorado. If my Wife would let me I’d head to Meeker. My Wife’s a Palisade Girl and isn’t moving.

I looked at retiring in Fruita-Palisade or Paonia or even Glenwood. My daughter is in Palisade now and I like visiting there. Gunnison was a favorite for years because of the fishing, and Meeker because of the hunting, fishing, and small town vibe.

Give me a shout when you are visiting, I would probably at the very least recognize her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not to get involved in the water rights discussion, (which is very relevant also)

Durango, hands down.

Close to Purg. Not far from Wolf Creek (1.5 hrs?) Reasonable to T-Ride (2 hrs with clear roads)

small college in town, good public library, plenty of services, lots of Doctors ( they like the life style too)

Easy to get out of the snow. ( to the south and west)

Close to Farmington if you want something machined, welded, or just a good chicken-fried steak.

further from the front range.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
living in the area you better enjoy tourist. We are ass deep in them. They have completely destroyed our little towns and way of life. Add that to the fact Colorado politics have gone more liberal than California thanks to all the newcomers. If I had a choice, I would bail out of my home state.

Those small CO mountain towns have robust economies that don't need tourism money.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What about Buena Vista?
Another good choice. You could just pump water straight out of the Arkansas. If you bought the right house.

Wow, I don't know your source for this information but it completely opposite of all that I know. Just talked to a Colo Water Recourses engineer about the Arkansas drainage and she is expecting to be sued at any time for failing to supply enough for downstream owners.
Yeah, I'm being sarcastically mocking.

He'll, you can't even keep all the rainwater that falls on your property in Colorado. But ole Jeff says you can just pump the water out of the river.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
living in the area you better enjoy tourist. We are ass deep in them. They have completely destroyed our little towns and way of life. Add that to the fact Colorado politics have gone more liberal than California thanks to all the newcomers. If I had a choice, I would bail out of my home state.

Those small CO mountain towns have robust economies that don't need tourism money.

LOL, and they thank you (and me) for the dollars spent there, my friend.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Actually, that is not the case. We had lower priced homes, lower property taxes and a sufficient economy to raise our families without them. We lived for decades without them, can do it again. The figures are that less than 10% of local businesses derive any benefit.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
What about Buena Vista?

Yeah, I'm being sarcastically mocking.

He'll, you can't even keep all the rainwater that falls on your property in Colorado. But ole Jeff says you can just pump the water out of the river.

Not only can you not keep it, you get taxed on it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction. I really like the area and I enjoy my visits there. I know there are small towns in the area and I would look at one of them.

kwg

Palisade is where I’ve lived for the last 35 years. I’ve been in Western Colorado for 40 years and grew up in Eastern Colorado. If my Wife would let me I’d head to Meeker. My Wife’s a Palisade Girl and isn’t moving.

I looked at retiring in Fruita-Palisade or Paonia or even Glenwood. My daughter is in Palisade now and I like visiting there. Gunnison was a favorite for years because of the fishing, and Meeker because of the hunting, fishing, and small town vibe.

Give me a shout when you are visiting, I would probably at the very least recognize her.
She grew up in Colorado Springs and moved to Grand Junction after graduating physicians assistant school. I don't know if she works at the hospital or one of the clinics. I won't make it out there this year. She will be coming back to Iowa this spring to bury her mother who passed last summer. But, there is next year. Unfortunately, neither she nor her husband fish.
kwg
I will keep you I'm mind at our next visit
kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 02/26/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Thanks to everyone who has responded, please keep 'em coming.

It will come down to CO or NH/VT because those are the only states where my wife will consider living when she decides to retire.

I like Delores too, but have concerns that with global warming, water could become an issue in the Cortez, Mancos, Delores area.

Salida would be more convenient for me, as I could drive to do the on-site inspections of our rental units in Breckenridge and at Copper Mountain in around 90 minutes each way.

I'd like to locate where there is a ski area within 45 minutes, so that I could ski every day that I wanted to during the season. Gunnison has Crested Butte, Salida has Monarch, Durango has Purgatory, and there are dozens of town in NH/VT that meet that criteria.
You believe in global warming? You will fit right in there in CO. Good move.
Its not warming thats going to be the issue its going to be demand.

Delores area by far over the other two but I'm not moving from a fairly conservative state to a liberal [bleep] hole if I can ever avoid it. Especially not to retire.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Actually, that is not the case. We had lower priced homes, lower property taxes and a sufficient economy to raise our families without them. We lived for decades without them, can do it again. The figures are that less than 10% of local businesses derive any benefit.

That would depend entirely on what town we're talking about, right? Take a place like Estes Park or Grand Lake. Or even Walden. I remember when the DOW raised the prices of non-resident elk tags to be in line with other western states, lots of the mom and pop restaurants, stores, and motels were up in arms because they thought it would cut down on non-resident hunters and hurt their businesses. And I heard this directly from mom and pop themselves.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I seem to recall the DOW raising tag prices then dropping them back down a couple of years later?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

kwg

She grew up in Colorado Springs and moved to Grand Junction after graduating physicians assistant school. I don't know if she works at the hospital or one of the clinics. I won't make it out there this year. She will be coming back to Iowa this spring to bury her mother who passed last summer. But, there is next year. Unfortunately, neither she nor her husband fish.
kwg
I will keep you I'm mind at our next visit
kwg

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd like to put up a greenhouse for flowers and vegetables, no interest in growing, smoking, or eating anything with THC in it.

Wife has expressed some interest in 478 Kiva Road in Durango. That property abuts the Animas River, so there would never any problem pumping water to irrigate a lawn, garden, or greenhouse. You guys do realize that I'm going to be 69 in a month, so quality healthcare that is both competent and close by is getting more important every year.
=
I like Durango, but it would take longer for me to drive from Durango to Breck/Copper than it currently takes me to fly from Omaha to Denver, ride a van from Denver to Breck, and get the Tribeca off the battery tender and out of the garage. For some reason, it would be cheaper for me to buy tickets for Durango to Vail with a stop over in Denver than it would to buy tickets from Durango to Denver. If I did that, I guess that I could just not use the Denver-Vail and Vail-Denver portion of the ticket. The La Plata County Sheriff seems to be FFL friendly, no problem transferring my FFL to an address in La Plata County, so that's a good thing.

Ummm, you don't get water rights by moving in next to the river.

Ummm, if you want to check it out, call Jeff Titus, the District 30 Water and Well Commissioner at 970-739-6520. He told me that I could pump water from the Animas for personal use on this specific property without having water rights, but if I wanted to get water rights, I could do so and it would be automatic or nearly automatic. I try to do my homework before posting stuff online, 'cause there is already too much misinformation on the 'net without me adding to it.
So, you're worried about water issues because of global warming, but ol Jeff says go ahead and just pump water out if the river. Cause none of that water is spoken for by any of those people downstream.

The global warming concerns that I have relate to having been told that the ground water in the Cortez area isn't as good, or reliable, as it is in the area of southern CO between Durango and South Fork. The properties that are potentially of interest to us west of Hesperus don't abut a surface water source, so any irrigation would have to come from a well.

I would expect the Water and Well Commissioner for the area where the property in question is located to know what he's talking about. Who would you suggest that I should go to for that information? I never buy a property without having a competent attorney do all of the title searches and cover all of the bases.

One of the things that I don't like about most of the properties that I've looked at in the Durango area is that the mineral rights aren't owned by the surface property owner, so someone could put a gas/oil well on your property and there is nothing that you could do to prevent it.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Some of you guys could use a reading comprehension tutor.

He's only moving where his wife "allows" him to live...

He's worried about global warming and he's friggen 70 years old...

And he's just gonna pump whatever his water needs out of the animas within civilisation where you'd have to fill a water glass at night to get away with it. Based on one phone call in a place where if you think you understand CO water law you haven't read enough, and where 15 water lawyers will give you 22 legal opinions to answer your question.

This guy likely already has the pro wolf bumper sticker on his Subaru Outback. He's moving here to experience the utopia, just without the weed...

I'm still only 68, almost 69, still more than a year away from 70. In 2025 I'll start to draw SSI and sign on to Medicare.

Happy wife, happy life. As long as we live in a rural area with hills, trees, clear running water, and somewhere close by with decent skiing, it isn't that important to me where the rural area is. If my wife finds a town and a house that makes her happy, I'm flexible. We have an inside/outside agreement, she takes care of everything inside the house and I take care of everything outside the house. She buys furniture, carpets, and contracts for anything that she wants done inside the house, while I buy vehicles and either take care of or contract for anything that needs to be done outside the house. 37 years, no serious fights, it works for us.

My global warm concern is only as it potentially relates to ground water in the Cortez, Delores, Mancos area. Having been told that ground water is often hit or miss in that area, climate change could make for more misses in that area. A house without a reliable water source is a house that will be hard to sell, no matter how attractive its other attributes might be. A reliable water source is also an important consideration if you want to have a greenhouse and a nice green lawn.

If you have questions about water resources in CO as they apply to a specific property, who would be a better person to go to for answers to ` those questions then the district water commissioner?

The Subaru that I keep garaged in Breckenridge is a 2010 Tribeca, not an Outback. I don't do bumper stickers, but it does have decals representing the 1st ID, Airborne, Ranger and guide-on reproductions for my 3 infantry company commands on the rear window and a Boston Red Sox rear plate bracket. This is the first Subaru that we've ever owned and I haven't driven it much, less than 1,000 miles and most of that was when I drove it from the dealer in St. Louis to its new home in Summit County via I-70. I'm sure that the wolves will negatively the people who can least afford it, ranchers and herders, and I'm not in favor of valuing wildlife over people and their livelihood.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A reliable water source is also an important consideration if you want to have a greenhouse and a nice green lawn.

So, you're concerned about global warming and scarce water supplies, and you're moving to an arid part of the country in a river basin that's over-appropriated, where the federal government has mandated cuts in water usage but the states can't agree on how to do that.

Which one of these things doesn't belong in the picture?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Water is an issue Durango west and your information on well drilling is appropriately “maybe.” It has always been a dry land since Noah anyway. Grew up in far west Dolores county. There are good properties and lovely homes that have a water truck parked out back…. The Mcfee dam did provide municipal and agricultural water improvements back in the 80’s but it’s still dry country.
I still have a brother there and a son in Gunnison. The comments on Gunnison are accurate. Very expensive living and darned cold. Beautiful place though and there is a privately owned Blackhawk in a hanger there.
Good luck on your search sir. Let me know if I could be helpful.
F01

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A reliable water source is also an important consideration if you want to have a greenhouse and a nice green lawn.

So, you're concerned about global warming and scarce water supplies, and you're moving to an arid part of the country in a river basin that's over-appropriated, where the federal government has mandated cuts in water usage but the states can't agree on how to do that.

Which one of these things doesn't belong in the picture?

CO, NH, or VT, each has its good points and its not so good points.

If we live in NH or VT, we could just buy a 4 bedroom condo in Breck that I could use when I wanted to ski on snow instead of ice. Whatever we do, the property will be owned by an LLC and we'll just rent it from the LLC so that residency is cloudy.

Things will work out one way or the other, if for no other reason than they always do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Add that to the fact Colorado politics have gone more liberal than California thanks to all the newcomers. If I had a choice, I would bail out of my home state.
Why do residents insist on ignoring the fact that a large number of the liberal voters in Colorado are home grown, thank you K-12 and your Collages and Universities

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
colorado landowner since 1986. moved here from Minnesota, then back from Arizona, then back from Idaho.

Durango is one of several texas and california and eastern entry points.
Salida is even more texas entry point...

mining history, tourism future. hunting fishing way past its prime due to crowds and hype..good for seasonal sporting...most places are worse....

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.