Print Thread
Hop To
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well after about 13 years, the decision has been made to no longer produce the Safari Rifle Challenge.

We have tried hard every year to put on a good, affordable, family friendly shoot with plenty of fun yet challenging scenarios.

However, every year it gets harder and harder to come up with fresh ideas and the costs for everything from targets to T-shirts and food are continuing to climb.

Truthfully, and perhaps most importantly, more than a few of us are simply getting tired, and we are looking forward to other pursuits.

I have spoken with a variety of folks involved in its production and it seems like now is the right time to quietly close this chapter on a positive note instead of allowing the shoot to slowly dwindle away from a lack of quality or participant interest.

I and everyone involved appreciate all the support we have received over these years.

You have truly made all the effort worthwhile.

Sincerely, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow….I really hate to hear of this.

My wife and I have wanted to attend for many years, and it seems that something always preventing us from going.

So, from someone that never attended, Thank You and all of the others that reportedly made this a Great Event! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/28/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve heard nothing but great things about this shoot and while I’ve never attended it was 1 of the very few shoots that was on my short list to hopefully attend someday. I don’t blame you for wanting to pursue different adventures and end on a high note.

I wish you all the happiness and success possible wherever your next pursuit takes you. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I remember the year just before the pandemic I practiced and practised looking forward to the event and to my great disappointment it was cancelled.
I was hoping to return this year and see once again Montana and the people at the shoot.I would always win the prize for the participant who travelled furthest to attend.I also won the raffle wor a Win.mod.70 in 280 Rem.I feel sad that it is over but at the same time hopeful that there will be another just as nice some time. some place.Thanks Jay for everything.It was a classy event.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is sad news, but understandable. I have been there a few times and enjoyed it each time. It takes a lot of work to put it on and it was done very well. Thanks to all there in Libby who put this shoot together. I enjoy and appreciated it.

Rolly
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sad to hear this. I had just told my wife earlier this month that I was going to make getting to this a priority this year.

Totally understandable but sad nonetheless.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very sorry to hear of this. I had hoped to attend the shoot one day.

Many thanks for a great run and providing so much to those of us that shoot.

Best wishes to all who made such a great event happen over so many years.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Oh gosh! I was hoping to hear the dates of this year's shoot...

Thanks for holding it for so many years. I only attended once, 2019. Shot well with my 375 H&H Number One. Enjoyed the heck out of it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I suppose that all good things come to an end. Sad to see that this one has run its course.

Thanks for holding it! Guy

T
T
I spoke with Will Cordes this morning. We are exploring offering a similar Safari format shoot in the Shelby area- it is 85 miles north of Great Falls MT.

I have scoped out two different range possibilities. One is a dedicated range, the other is some neat river bottom country on BOR land.
Will is going to be up here in a few weeks to look them over himself.

This format of shooting is worth keeping around.

J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Good luck.

It was always a dream to have a safari shoot along about a one mile long wilderness trail. Similar to an archery 3D shoot. With proper layout it could be done safely.

But no private land was available and folks with USFS insider experience just laughed at the possibility of me ever getting permission, permits, insurance, etc.

Hopefully BOR administration might be easier to deal with.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am in if it is near Shelby. 77 easy miles from my front door smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’d be in for Shelby as well. Not as close as MedRiver but 102 miles is more than doable.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If y’all pull this off, you’re gonna make a lot of folks pretty happy! I hope that I’m one of them!

Good Luck on making it happen. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s only 14 hour drive from here. I’d like to go. Not sure if I would, but keep us informed. I use to live in the NE corner of MT. It would be great trip and to see my old stomping grounds near Ft. Peck.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you could set something up for next summer then I would be interested.

T
T
I will keep you all in the loop. The BOR ground would certainly lend itself to a woods walk type shooting event.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I always thought it would be fun to attend this.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,789
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.