Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't buy sardines or other such schitt there, I don't buy any food there. Bubonic plague in 3...2...1

https://www.kten.com/story/50506175/family-dollar-fined-in-connection-with-rodentinfested-warehouse

New York (CNN) — Family Dollar Stores was hit with a record fine for violating product safety standards after selling items that were stocked in a rat-infested warehouse filled with live, dead and decaying rodents.

The retailer, a subsidiary of Dollar Tree was fined $41.6 million, “the largest-ever monetary criminal penalty in a food safety case,” the Justice Department said in a statement Monday.

Family Dollar and Dollar Tree will also be under robust corporate compliance and reporting requirements for the next three years, according to the DOJ.

“When consumers go to the store, they have the right to expect that the food and drugs on the shelves have been kept in clean, uncontaminated conditions,” Benjamin Mizer, acting associate attorney with the DOJ, said in the statement. “When companies violate that trust and the laws designed to keep consumers safe, the public should rest assured: The Justice Department will hold those companies accountable.”

Family Dollar’s rat and mice problem goes back to 2020 when the US Food and Drug Administration issued an inspection report describing a distribution facility operated by the discount chain in Arkansas as dirty and rat-infested, and where merchandise including human and animal food was stored.

The inspectors noted in that report of observing “rodent evidence, including live rodents, dead rodents of various states of decay, rodent excreta pellets … gnawings, nesting, and odors indicative of rodents throughout the entirety” of the facility.

The agency said at the time that Family Dollar has been aware of the rodent problem since at least January 2020.

Yet the retailer continued shipping goods from the warehouse until January 2022, when the FDA’s investigation revealed the extent of the infestation. After the building was fumigated, exterminators found 1,270 dead mice, the DOJ said.

In 2022, the FDA’s discovery prompted Family Dollar to voluntarily recall dozens of food items, cosmetics, drugs and other products and temporarily close more than 400 stores in six southern states.

The DOJ said Family Dollar, which has more than 8,000 stores nationwide, pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of causing FDA-regulated products to become adulterated while being held under insanitary conditions.

“Having reached full resolution with the DOJ, we are continuing to move forward on our business transformation, safety procedures and compliance initiatives,” Dollar Tree CEO, Rick Dreiling, said in a statement Monday.

“When I joined Dollar Tree’s Board of Directors in March 2022, I was very disappointed to learn about these unacceptable issues at one of Family Dollar’s facilities … we have worked diligently to help Family Dollar resolve this historical matter and significantly enhance our policies, procedures, and physical facilities to ensure it is not repeated,” Dreiling added.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 02/28/24.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Remember seeing it on the news when first reported.
D.C. was in Memphis[I think]

Luckily, I haven't stepped foot in a FD since 19&73

FJB & FJT
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Most are disorganized, dirty, but the one in Leesville Texas is clean, well organized, nice people working there.

Last edited by hanco; 02/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Half the "food" the dollar stores sell, the rats won't even gnaw on. So you can still eat your flamin' hot Funyuns and drink your mango-watermelon sugar punch without fear of anything the FDA might find unhealthy.

Now with even more aplomb
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
🤢

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't know they were the dame outfit.
Our Dollar Tree is nice,
The Family Dollar leaves me wanting a shower,
and I ain't a fussy type.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t be scared

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Family Dollar was a well run company when the original founders were running things. Some how a hostile forced sell to Dollar General seems to have made things go down hill.

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waiting on the ribbon cutting for the new FD / DT in our small town….

It’s prolly like DG, it depends on store level management.

There are DG’s around here that are night and day difference…

One will be well stocked, organized..

Another will look like a fugging tornado blew throw it. Stuff in th floors, carts of merchandise in boxes…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Dolla Gen market is so nice I took tha mrs to one a few yrs ago on vacation for a beer run she’d never seen one she said it was the hi light of her vacay 🤷‍♂️

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Dolla Gen market is so nice I took tha mrs to one a few yrs ago on vacation for a beer run she’d never seen one she said it was the hi light of her vacay 🤷‍♂️

You sly old devil, I know you bought a fambly-size bottle of Liberty Hill red wine to get her likkered up!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by earlybrd

You sly old devil, I know you bought a fambly-size bottle of Liberty Hill red wine to get her likkered up!!
Howd u guess🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So where was the FDA from 2020 to 2022? Once the issue was discovered, they don't follow up??

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
So where was the FDA from 2020 to 2022? Once the issue was discovered, they don't follow up??

What? You expect any other gubbermint agency to move at a faster pace than the USPS??

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was watching Dollar Tree, the parent company of Family Dollar for maybe a stock purchase...but three years later they are still struggling. Tree was talking last November about closing 400 Dollar Family stores. I lost interest, we don't have any here, but apparently they are poorly run. If you can't attract folks to discount stores in the Biden economy...you never will.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
friend of mines wife manages a DG in a bad neighborhood. The shoplifting is none stop

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thought every thing was a buck.......Not

Seen a few around

Hobo Freight is a better option

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Jericho
friend of mines wife manages a DG in a bad neighborhood. The shoplifting is none stop
10/4 on that found that out lookin for valentine choklates last min in tha hood 🥴

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho

I used to haul for McCrory stores, same deal different name.

Was at one in Northern Jersey one Monday, all the guys had short broomstick in their back pocket. When ask, they told me they used them to get control of shoplifters.
"We aren't supposed to, but if we didn't they would carry the store off. Even so, we
have one or two arrested every week." It was a rough area.😉

Later that week I was in a decent neighborhood in Houston. Mentioned
the craphole in Jersey, and their situation.
The manager looked up, "I'll trade them,
it beats the two times we had guns pointed in our faces last year!"

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.... I didn't know that Family Dollar was a subsidiary of Dollar tree. We had a Family Dollar store in the village near me that closed up in late 2022 or so and never re-opened, and I didn't know why. Then this past December a Dollar Tree opened in that space. Which I refer to as "buck & a quarter tree" since that's the price of most of the stuff in there. I knew they couldn't keep that one dollar or less business model going forever. Especially with our current administration and its monetary policies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.