Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting and entertaining video about a "master handgun blaster."

Enjoy.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting. I think Elmer once wrote that he didn't believe the reputation of McGivern was true since he (Elmer) couldn't replicate the feats.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Interesting. I think Elmer once wrote that he didn't believe the reputation of McGivern was true since he (Elmer) couldn't replicate the feats.

Much more difficult when using a heavy recoil handgun! Both were great …..within their domains! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

He also wrote, I believe it was in "Hell, I was there" that someone else who was also a doubters paid Elmer to prove Ed wrong. Elmer practiced a lot, got very good at Ed's "trick" shooting, and changed his opinion about him.

Dale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff.

Hunting or shooting videos from the old days are always interesting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
McGivern was great. Elmer was good but his ego far outweighed his skill.

Last edited by rainshot; 02/28/24.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think Jelly Bryce was pretty good but not an exhibitionist.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool vid, Leanwolf. Thanks for posting.

The only parts of the video I disliked were of him leaning forward and completely off balance. Apparently, his shots were already completed by the time he hit his next step. But still..

Sure did have a nice collection of revolvers.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have just been rereading McGivern’s book. It’s pretty dry but the man was methodical and backed everything up with his measuring equipment.

A great shooter and experimenter.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I knew an assistant U.S. attorney who grew up in Lewistown, where Mr. McGivern lived. He said Ed offered to give free shooting lessons to any young man who wanted, and his greatest regret was not taking advantage of the offer. He said by the time he knew Ed, the old man had palsy or some such that made his hands shake uncontrollably, until just before his paintbrush made contact, (as the video says, he was a sign painter) whereupon he was completely steady and in control, until the brushstrokes was complete. The same with his shooting; shaky until on target, then completely steady.

Last edited by DHN; 02/28/24. Reason: Damn autocorrect! Spelling

Dale

IC B3

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Could he hit a thrown corn dodger from the back of a horse while drunk?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had his book for many years. In fact I used his method of training to prepare for a combat style double action revolver match at my gun club, and did very well. My time was only wrecked by bullets frequently slipping their crimp and locking up the action on my stock Model 15 S&W. I had bought a case of the stuff very cheap. I think it was S&B.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OGB
Could he hit a thrown corn dodger from the back of a horse while drunk?
Great Jeff Bridges role.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DHN
I knew an assistant U.S. attorney who grew up in Lewistown, where Mr. McGovern lived. He said Ed offered to give free shooting lessons to any young man who wanted, and his greatest regret was not taking advantage of the offer. He said by the time he knew Ed, the old man had palsy or some such that made his hands shake uncontrollably, until just before his paintbrush made contact, (as the video says, he was a sign painter) whereupon he was completely steady and in control, until the brushstrokes was complete. The same with his shooting; shaky until on target, then completely steady.

Great story!

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m in the middle of his book right now. Interesting read to say the least.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bill Jordan was no slouch with a handgun, lightning fast on the draw and could hit the smallest of targets quick draw from the holster. I saw one of his last exhibitions before his passing. Met Elmer at the innaugural SHOT show and Jerry Miculek at NRA Convention. Jerry is fast not only with the handgun but rifle and shotgun too. The shooter with the most enormous of egos was Bob Munden but he did amazing things with a single action handgun.

Last edited by gunswizard; 02/29/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wrong Shooter McGavin, sorry

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.