Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I might add that catching up with a less than anchored piggy in prickly pear cactus is less than ideal. Plenty of smack for DRT experience is highly recommended hence the recommended 30-06. I used everything from 165gr Sierra's to 200gr Sierra's and the 200gr GK were my favorite.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oops. When I read your post I was thinking wild boar. I lived around javelina in AZ. I think a 223 would work fine.

Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think deer cartridges/loads work great. I wonder about shooting the big boars weighing ~500 lb’s

500lbs??? They go maybe 80lbs max

The ones I've take have been 40 lbs and under, and usually under.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

These two were taken with a 7mm-08 and 140 gr. Ballistic Tips.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

8 x 57 JRS.

ya!

GWB

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have hunted them with a T/C Hawken .50 during the HAM (handgun, archery and muzzleloader) season in Arizona, in Texas more than once with various rounds while hunting other game, and also took one in Sonora, Mexico with a 7x57 during a Coues deer hunt. All worked fine--and am not surprised than just about anything would work well.

As far as eating, have had mixed results. I suspect they're one of those animals that have a chemical that some people's taste-buds don't like--which happens with pronghorns as well. Most people think pronghorns are among the best-tasting game when cooled quickly, but also have a good friend who hates to eat 'em, even when everybody else likes the same "goat." He says they taste like "dog food" to him, but have often wondered how much dog food he's eaten.

The best-tasting javelina I've eaten was the one from Sonora, which was killed just before Christmas, where javelina tamales are a tradition during Navidad. They were great! But have also had javelina that weren't so good, even though taken good care of, including removing the scent glands.

One of my long-time friends is Don Thomas, the well-known bowhunting writer, hunted them in Arizona for some years. He's also a very good and avid game cook, and years ago wrote a piece on cooking javelina. He suggested a 2-liter bottle of cheap red wine as the primary "ingredient"--which the cook should drink before attempting to eat javelina....

I've killed several Pronghorns in MT and WY when they hold the season in mid to late October, they were the worst table fare as far as big game animals go. Big Nose Kate, my GSP wouldn't even try it, and she eats cow pies!

In Nevada, not bragging, we hunt them in mid to late August and I wouldn't trade a Nevada Antelope chop for a USDA Prime Rib Eye. I think that pre rut harvest makes all the difference. The range conditions in Montana should produce better meat, but is not true IMHO. This might be the case with these little pigs.

Last edited by Switch; 02/28/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have you seen or hunted Javelina? They weigh about 30 lbs.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used my 7mm WSM when presented with my one and only opportunity to shoot one. Didn’t do much damage all things considered.

I think a centerfire 22 cal rifle would be ideal. They are very lightly built.

Last edited by Scorpion; 02/28/24.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When my dad and uncle lived in Az the 32-20 was very popular for Javelina. That was in the 40s after WW2.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Met a fellow this last deer season who just loved javelina. Knowing it could be messed up easy I asked him for advice... his response was to never let the glands or the hair contaminate the meat. Then I asked him how he cooked them; the process sounded quite long, sort of like what I've seen posted for groundhog or capybara IIRC (lots of roasting, saucing, re-roasting, heavy seasoning...).

Haha, BIL last year made some javelina chorizo but he broke the aforementioned rules, couldn't stand to eat it. By stroke of luck he found a messican at work that just plain loved it so that's where it ended up. At lease it wasn't wasted!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just came back from hunting in AZ the guys I was hunting with are pretty experienced with Javelina, I was hunting fox and cats. They hunt in the mountains glassing mountain sides and walking ridges. They had a 22-250 55gr NBT, 25 WSSM 100gr NBT and a 243 Win bullet unknown to me. Here in NM I'm using a 25-204 85gr NBT and 6.5 Grendel (BA) 90gr Speer.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
30 Carbine and 25-35 sound perfect to me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed them with archery equipment and whatever is usually in my hand when deer hunting. The only one I had mounted was a big boar that I killed with a 7/08. Killed 2 with my AR using the 75 grain Gold Dot factory ammo. DRT. I think if I was going to hunt nothing but javis I'd use my CZ 527 in .223 shooting the 50 grain Nosler BT.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't know anyone that hunts Javelina, but do a lot of people that shoot them like the vermin no one I know eats them. Rio7

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never understood why javelina meat has such a bad rep. I've always found it delicious and one of my favorites. It's delicious when made into burgers and grilled over wood coals for a smokey taste. Javelina eat alot of prickly pear cactus and it's always interesting to see how many cactus quills are stuck in their gums. They have very tough mouths. Prickly pear cactus is sweeter and the same flavor comes through in their meat

Last edited by Gaschekt; 03/01/24.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Here in Arizona they are considered "big game" requiring a tag. They are among my favorites to hunt, mainly because it gets me in the area I hunt deer during some wonderful weather and less pressured times. I really enjoy using a pistol, specifically my 10mm Dan Wesson, but I don't miss an opportunity to take my 243 for a walk as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
IMHO, it's hard to beat the .243 Win. for javelina. Nothing wrong with anything bigger than that either. I've taken them with a .223, and most of the time they work great, but if you had to take a shot at a trickier angle, the .223 might not always do the job. Yes - I speak from experience. Also, if you had to take a cross-canyon shot at a peccary (which happens quite often where I have hunted) and the wind is kind of stiff, I don't have the confidence of a 55gr bullet staying on-course vs. a 100gr or heavier bullet.

Having said all that, javelina hunting to me is an opportunity to get out and just enjoy. For me anymore, that means carrying my peep-sighted 30-30, or my Ruger Scout .308, or yes, perhaps a .223 in an AR platform. I have a friend who uses javelina season as an opportunity to use rifles that rarely come out of the safe - muzzleloaders, 375 H&H, etc. They all do the trick, and no, a 375 doesn't rip them in half.

Take what you want, know your limitations, and have fun!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Please tell more about eating them???

The half grown ones are best but I have had full grown ones that were good too. Avoid touching the scent glands, wash your knife and change your rubber gloves after skinning them. I like to quarter them and cook over coals. Brush a little of your favorite barbecue sauce on just before done. I have heard all the stories " they stink - covered in fleas - taste terrible" But that's not my experience.

I have cooked dozens of them I shot in West Texas and they were all good.
btw - They eat prickly pear cactus.

Interesting! I’ve heard the same about many animals and typically they come from people who don’t know much about cooking or game preparation. Black bear gets a lot of bad attention in PA and many say similar things about them as far as being “edible” or not. Some of the best meat I’ve ever had was bear and many of those eating it had no idea what it was but no one complained and most thought it was excellent. I’d love to try Javelina and if I ever get a chance I will! I’d probably use the .25-20, .256 win mag., 22 Hornet, 32-20 or something in that category. Going after one with my 1873 Winchester in .32-20 would be great fun!!

Good luck on your hunt!

PennDog

You beat me to it. I was going to say pretty much the same thing and use the black bear analogy. I love bear meat. For a hunting rig given the size and country I’d get a good 5.56 AR. Accurate, fast handling and a quick follow up shot available for a finisher or second opportunity.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.