Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Tzone

Just saw this and thank you. Thinking a slightly different direction and throwing a little more cash in the pot. I have a line on a couple of Sakos.

GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by JDK
I am in the market for a 270 Win. Trying to keep it under $1,000. I’ve looked at Howa, Weatherby Vanguard and Sauer and they were ok. The Bergara B14 fit me the best but the reviews have been iffy. The Browning Xbolt was also nice but over my price point. I have not had a chance to look at the CVA Cascade or the Mauser M18

If push came to shove today, the Vanguard and Sauer would lead the pack. Anything else out there I should be looking at?

Are you looking for new? I have a Winchester model 70, xtr featherweight I’d sell for under $1000. It has a what I believe is a Win-Lite stock on it. But I’m not positive. Beautiful rifle, carry’s well, shoots well.
This

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Tikka would be a great choice!
My first rifle was a pre 65 style Model 70 270win. Killed several elk and more than a dozen deer with it. RL 26 and hornady 145’s do really well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my opinion, the 280 Rem is equivalent to the 270 not better. It slows down, as you would expect with heavier than 150g bullets. I think you have to step up to a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag to make a significant jump in performance. I love my 270 Win I handload and get 3000 fps with 150g Partitions, never had an issue killing anything with it in the lower 48. I did just buy a BDL in 7mm Mag cause I gave my 270 to my youngest son ( he wanted it badly). I don't notice the recoil difference but that's probably because I shoot big bores as well. I plan to load 175g A-Frames and see if I can get close to 3000 fps with normal pressures.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by colorado
In my opinion, the 280 Rem is equivalent to the 270 not better. It slows down, as you would expect with heavier than 150g bullets. I think you have to step up to a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag to make a significant jump in performance. I love my 270 Win I handload and get 3000 fps with 150g Partitions, never had an issue killing anything with it in the lower 48. I did just buy a BDL in 7mm Mag cause I gave my 270 to my youngest son ( he wanted it badly). I don't notice the recoil difference but that's probably because I shoot big bores as well. I plan to load 175g A-Frames and see if I can get close to 3000 fps with normal pressures.

I just looked over some data and I think I can get 2900-2950 from the 175 Swifts, Sierra's and Nosler in my Brownell with H1000 or similar. You saying that sorta motivates me to load up a few cases and see what the Garmin says. It's a 1-10 barrel on it, so the lead cored 175's are about as long as I can get to stabilize in the old rifle.

Semper Fi
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by colorado
I think you have to step up to a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag to make a significant jump in performance.
Or more like a 375 H&H.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
can't go wrong with a tikka!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK
Thanks all. Lots to think about but it is definitely going to be a 270 in some shape or form.

I have 2 270 Winchester rifles. Both pre 64 model 70's. However, I will be sending one to a forum member here. I only need 1 270, as I don't shoot these often. For shooting a lot, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know JMR probably got a ration of schidt for suggesting the 6.5 CM over the infamous 270 win. I generally agree 100% with what he posts, but probably not this time. If I were looking for a straight up excellent hunting rifle, there would be nothing wrong with picking the 270 winchester. I'd pick that over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Keeping in mind we are talking "hunting" rifles. Also because my favorite thing to hunt is elk!! A 270 loaded with 150gr Nosler partitions can be hell on elk.

The only rifles I'd consider for this would be the Winchester model 70 and Tikka. Those being a pre 64 (fwt or std wt), XTR featherweight, or the Classic CRF. The Tikka would be a stainless T3x Lite. With those rifles you get reliability and excellent accuracy/precision. Both things I demand in a good hunting rifle. As a 3rd choice I'd probably pick a Ruger m77 mk2 or Hawkeye. However, those rifles are generally heavier, and accuracy can be had, but with a lot of work. They are also more clunky feeling than a good Winchester model 70. I would never suggest buying a cheap budget rifle, but if you ran across a Stevens 200 chambered in 270, I'd not scoff at that too much.

As for the rifle I'm sending to a new owner, I will miss that rifle, but it needs to get used. I have a feeling it's a "scary" accurate rifle, but have not even begun to wring it out. The new owner is going to love it. I'll hang on to my featherweight till the grave though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MTSLW
Tikka would be a great choice!
My first rifle was a pre 65 style Model 70 270win. Killed several elk and more than a dozen deer with it. RL 26 and hornady 145’s do really well.

Pre 65?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK
Tzone

Just saw this and thank you. Thinking a slightly different direction and throwing a little more cash in the pot. I have a line on a couple of Sakos.

Hopefully you get a good one. Some had major ejection issues. Due to a design flaw. Just sayin.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Had a line on 2 L61R and an AIII. An R and the AIII have sold. Looking at the other Saturday

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Talking about 270’s gets me all hot and bothered, and since someone mentioned butchered Pre-64’s, this one came to me in pretty bad shape from a family member. Supposedly wouldn’t shoot, and the stock was destroyed. Threw a new scope on it and it looked to be a shooter, so off to the stock maker it went for some love. Shoots most factory ammo under 1” and some stuff it really likes. This with the original factory barrel. If I were looking for another, it would be either another Pre-64 or an old Griffin and Howe. Then again, I’m nostolgic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Talking about 270’s gets me all hot and bothered, and since someone mentioned butchered Pre-64’s, this one came to me in pretty bad shape from a family member. Supposedly wouldn’t shoot, and the stock was destroyed. Threw a new scope on it and it looked to be a shooter, so off to the stock maker it went for some love. Shoots most factory ammo under 1” and some stuff it really likes. This with the original factory barrel. If I were looking for another, it would be either another Pre-64 or an old Griffin and Howe. Then again, I’m nostolgic.

That's a beauty!! And the best part about it, it shoots like a pre 64 model 70.. I didn't see where anyone mentioned "butchered pre 64's" though.

The '56 FWT I am hanging on to shoots very well. The butt plate was removed, and someone put a recoil pad on it. The pad was old, so I upgraded it to a red pachmayr. It's also glass bedded. Since, at that point, it turns that stock into a "shooter", not a collector. This is the rifle that I said I'll hang on to for while. Even though I don't like the 270 winchester as much as I do other cartridges. Just how it is, when you grow up with a 30-06 in your hands.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've only shot that factory Federal blue box ammo out of it, but it shows promise:

Testing new scope and new to me rifle that day, looked pretty promising. I don't think I've shot the rifle since.

With the std wt going to its new home, I may mess with the fwt a little. I'm thinking it's going to be a damn good shooter with proper handloads. Some younger guys don't know what these pre 64's can do, so we have to keep letting them know. Some of my favorite rifles, that are damn hard to beat..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your right. I think it was another post about refinishing a shiny stocked rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 270 or two that I could let go. Both 700’s.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by jetjockey

Hot n bothered 🥴 nice gun👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was in the market for a 270 priced under $1,000, I'd look for a good used CLR.

For a regular production rifle, CLRs are light, well balanced, and accurate. The CLR didn't fail because they were bad rifles, they failed because Colt quit on them before they had been in the market long enough to achieve any sort of market penetration. A lot of people who were disappointed in the CLR seemed to think that they were buying a full ULA for 1/4 the price, when what they were actually getting is a rifle that is probably 4/5 ULA at 1/4 the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 270 has been retired for a number of years now, as I've started using other cartridges. I don't hunt anything larger than whitetails, and chamberings like the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 243, and the 6.5 Grendel will do just fine. However......if I were selected to go on the "hunt of a lifetime" or told that I had to go kill a deer or else, with the "or else" covering whatever comes to the imagination, I'd have more faith in a 270 with a 130 grain Sierra soft point, loaded up with 60 grains of H-4831 than anything else I have ever used on deer for the past 60 years.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Older used Remington 700.

That is the big time easy button.

Easy to find. Affordably priced. Lots of aftermarket products. Never met a gunsmith that couldn’t work on one.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
270 kills...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.