Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Teal, is that an older HP? It's the newer ones that have the "chip in the cartridge" requirement.

I bought it June of last year. 2023 so sorta new and they're still avail I guess.

I put these cartridges in Jan 15 or so and have printed about 80 pages since.

Me

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by richj
be careful with HP inkjets. If the color runs out the B&W won't print.

That ain't just with HP's

IMHO the best deal for the consumer is:
Epson
Canon
Brother is dependent on model

Those 2 have the lowest mark-up[cost to retail] and start with a lower retail price.

Toners & cartridges are where they[all] make their $$'s as you can look at a cartridge[either style] that costs anywhere from $25 to $100 for ink and on up for laser.
There really isn't that much to them.
Once they've covered the R&D they have to be 90%+ profit

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll never allow an HP printer over my threshhold again. Screw them and their bullshit software and ink cartridge tricks.

My sentiments exactly.

When my 20 year old HP inkjet died, I replaced it with a Canon MF462 laser. No ink to dry out or clog up.

There are ways to work around HP's chip gimmick, but I don't have the inclination to deal with that nonsense.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
duhhhhh rrrr can I have the old one….

And send me some .22 shorts with it

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
There printers with tanks now that you refill

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HP printers down right piss me off. They force you to pay confiscatory prices for ink, The ink always seems to run out at the worst possible times. The printer will not work unless ALL the ink is reading not empty.

the other thing I hate is I hit cancel print on the printer and all that does it just cancel THAT page. It keeps just printing more and more crap. I believe this is intentional because if it prints the other pages you of course end up using MORE ink!! The all in one scanner that is attached to the machine frankly SUCKS, after getting a dedicated scanner I found holy crap, this is how a scanner is really supposed to work!

all I can say is there is no good solution. They practically give you the machine, then want to rape you on the ink

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The tank type printers cost a little more but ink is very cheap. Fill them and that's all you will use for a year or more. The only problem is when you use them so seldom that the heads dry up. There's an easy prevention for that. Find a full color photo and keep it on your desktop so it's easy to find. About once a week, print it, both in color and b&w. That will run fresh ink through the heads. You should be doing that with cartridge printers, too, although it'll cost you more in ink.
Ink is a graft. Someone calculated the cost of the ink in those cartridges and it came out to more than $1000/gal. The tank printers cut the cost by 95%.

At the very least, get a printer with separate cartridges for each color, including a black, so you don't have to throw away all of your red and yellow when blue runs out. Printers with 3 colors mix them to get black. A printer with a black cartridge will also mix them unless you set it for b&w. Then it uses black, saving all the colored ink. One pass with black will replace 3 passes with the 3 colors cutting the ink usage by 2/3. That's why your printer will be so much faster when printing in b&w. It's only printing 1/3 as much.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I despise HP printers with a passion. Bought a few for my business, and every one of them had problems within a few months of purchase. One I could never get to communicate with my PC. I use Epson now exclusively, one of which prints at a guess a ream of paper every 3 weeks or so. It is about 12 years old and shows no sign of quitting.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
1) First clue "We don't do a lot of printing."
So this rules out an inkjet printer. Inkjets need to be "exercised" (used) at least once a week to keep the printhead from clogging.
2) Second clue "Really only need B/W" which means a low cost laser printer is on the table.

The best, low cost laser printers for home use and light office use are by Brother.
I like their printers with a built-in scanner so I can copy receipts, blueprint details etc.
If you buy a model that can use aftermarket toner cartridges, you can print for pennies.
Laser printers can sit unused with no harm to the printer.

This is similar to what we have been using. Printer with "flat bed scanner" combo.
There are other models with more or less features.
Before you buy and if you want to use aftermarket toner cartridges, make sure that they are available.
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochrome-HLL2395DW-Cloud-Based-Replenishment/dp/B0764NWFP8?th=1

THIS ^^^^

Ink jet printers are yesterday's news. The printer itself is cheap but the cost of ink is a rip off over time.

I have a couple of Brother laser printers (B&W) and I've been very happy with them.

This is my newer one of the two that I own:

Brother HL-L2350DW
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L23-50DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B09961WKKS/

I don't own own one these but it is less expensive than my HL-L2350DW:

Brother HL-L2405W
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2405W-Monochrome-Subscription-Replenishment/dp/B0CPL7HRQN/

Brother offers a variety of models:

https://www.brother-usa.com/home/printers-fax

Cheers! Bob

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks all for the recos.

Current printer is an HP 4500. It’s been a great printer when it works and I can get HP ink. Black cartridge is one from local Chinese embassy. It gives a cartridge error message after 2.5 pgs. Shut off/restart, rinse &repeat. Like many said the jets dry out. An easy fix has been to pull the cartridge and wipe the jets with and alcohol pad. But again, we don’t print like we used to.

I’ll look at the brother and epson offerings.

Obliged.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
duhhhhh rrrr can I have the old one….

And send me some .22 shorts with it
Old one is spf to slum. You pay the shipping. 😂

See the gungizzard for .22 ammo. He hoards it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Inkjet printer ink is the most expensive fluid on planet earth. I got tired of it, of the cartridges drying up, the print heads clogging up. I ponied up for a color laser printer. The thing absolutely rocks! Printing costs are 1/10 of inkjets and they look far better too.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'll never allow an HP printer over my threshhold again. Screw them and their bullshit software and ink cartridge tricks.

I bought an Epson Eco-Tank printer and have been very pleased with it the last couple or three years. Ink is very reasonable, and the thing pretty much will print when I want it to instead of clicking and clacking and spewing ink all over the place to waste as much as possible. It wasn't cheap up-front, but for the trouble and aggravation saved and ink money saved it was money well spent. I'd have used six or eight sets of cartridges by now and the money saved on the initial cost of the printer would be long gone.

HP can go to hell.

I couldn't agree more. Bought an Epson Ecotank a few years back and we are very happy with it. No more high priced ink cartridges to buy and the thing will print for months before you need to fill the tanks. Best investment ever!

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Ordered this:

Brother HL-L2405W

Supposed to be here Tuesday. Thanks again.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
best is made in chinee

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don't print much either, and always tired of no ink or nozzles drying up. I bought a Brother HL-L2390 lazer printer for under $200 at Best Buy about 2 years ago. It works great for my use and it's b&w.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
best is made in chinee
This made Vietnam gi.

I hope it rove me rong time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For all of the HP bashing it seems like they are still doing a bang up business. BUT I agree I won't buy another IJ of any type.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an HP Envy 7855 that has been good so far, after a PIA setup, mainly due to minimal instructions.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
For all of the HP bashing it seems like they are still doing a bang up business. BUT I agree I won't buy another IJ of any type.

HP at one time had color printers set up to intentionally use up ink---and not just during the cleaning cycle. Even when printing black text only, it would print each and every character using all three colors and then print over each character with black ink. They were taken to court over that cute little trick. Not sure what dirty tricks they're using now since I threw my last HP out in the driveway about three years ago, but nothing would surprise me except those assholes cleaning up their act.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.