Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
Whitetail bucks up at the border in Minnesota are bigger than most southern states , myself i don`t care to track bigger bucks much i like the big bang and speed of my 257 Weatherby mag. and bigger buck DRT. you go ahead a chase a wounded smart old buck , i have seen and heard what happens with a smaller cartridge rifle .

I've long been convinced you're a troll but it's entirely possible I'm mistaken.
If in fact you're legit, then you've had a Cal-Ripken-esque streak of being more full-of-szchit than Nosler's current MSRP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thought I had mentioned this earlier, but maybe it was on another thread. Nosler has been planning to expand for years, and bought some property in Redmond (17 miles north of Bend) back maybe 8-9 years ago. It was impossible to expand the plant in Bend, both because there's no room, and Bend had become one of one of those "in places" so property was also extremely expensive. (The population was around 10-12,000 when the Nosler plant moved there from Ashland, and is now over 200,000--and climbing.)

At the time they'd just purchased their brass-making tooling, and planned to put it in Redmond. Dunno if that happened, but the Redmond site is operating--and expanding.

Oh, and they did look at moving the entire operation to another state before buying in Redmond, and in the end decided it made more economic sense to stay in Oregon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nothing is inexpensive in Bend, but I like the area. My daughter & Family lived in Portland for awhile (crappy place to live, but great restaurants).

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Good point Teal. I would doubt alot of hourly employees would move though. Learning curves, etc...............Huge undertaking.

Yep and say you did move it - new people in the new place, quality takes a massive hit and then there's "I won't use Noslers since they moved, bullets are crap" and bam. Nosler spent 25 million to move and lose even more revenue than just staying and being expensive.

Now, I might say there's a bit of thought to not expanding in their current place and all expansion taking place elsewhere more conducive to business economics but that does require split attention then. Google Meets, MS Teams, Zoom and aircraft help bridge that gap. Probably for less than a sponsored TV show.

That's a valid risk. I've personally had a discussion with Nosler people regarding the move and its consequences. Finding any labor is the 1st challenge, people in Bend don't want to work in manufacturing for less than $75K a year. The top talent would need to be identified, compensated appropriately, and relocated. The most recent example of a company doing this is Weatherby. They are healthier and arguably building better rifles today than in Paso Robles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by pete53
Whitetail bucks up at the border in Minnesota are bigger than most southern states , myself i don`t care to track bigger bucks much i like the big bang and speed of my 257 Weatherby mag. and bigger buck DRT. you go ahead a chase a wounded smart old buck , i have seen and heard what happens with a smaller cartridge rifle .

I've long been convinced you're a troll but it's entirely possible I'm mistaken.
If in fact you're legit, then you've had a Cal-Ripken-esque streak of being more full-of-szchit than Nosler's current MSRP.
laugh

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Onstep
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Good point Teal. I would doubt alot of hourly employees would move though. Learning curves, etc...............Huge undertaking.

Yep and say you did move it - new people in the new place, quality takes a massive hit and then there's "I won't use Noslers since they moved, bullets are crap" and bam. Nosler spent 25 million to move and lose even more revenue than just staying and being expensive.

Now, I might say there's a bit of thought to not expanding in their current place and all expansion taking place elsewhere more conducive to business economics but that does require split attention then. Google Meets, MS Teams, Zoom and aircraft help bridge that gap. Probably for less than a sponsored TV show.

That's a valid risk. I've personally had a discussion with Nosler people regarding the move and its consequences. Finding any labor is the 1st challenge, people in Bend don't want to work in manufacturing for less than $75K a year. The top talent would need to be identified, compensated appropriately, and relocated. The most recent example of a company doing this is Weatherby. They are healthier and arguably building better rifles today than in Paso Robles.

I was going to mention that. While maybe not exactly the same, they had to do the same move and they’re reaping a lot of benefits from their move now. Heard Adam Weatherby say his power bill is less than 1/2 what it was in California.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sent Nosler an email asking them if the company had been bought out by some Mexican drug cartel, as everything they sell was at drug dealer pricing. I also asked them to take me off their mailing list, until their pricing was back in the real world once again.

Well they took me off their email list, so I gather they got my email to them...

I still maintain they were bought out by some hi rollin Senora Cartel Drug Lord... kinda looking for a front to claim they went Legitimate, like the Mafia use to do after Prohibition.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like the " family " just wants to leave the company on " cruise control " and keep getting paid with no interruption. Oh well .....

Last edited by Razorhog; 03/01/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having spent a couple of days in elk camp with John, I don’t believe that to be the case.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thought I had mentioned this earlier, but maybe it was on another thread. Nosler has been planning to expand for years, and bought some property in Redmond (17 miles north of Bend) back maybe 8-9 years ago. It was impossible to expand the plant in Bend, both because there's no room, and Bend had become one of one of those "in places" so property was also extremely expensive. (The population was around 10-12,000 when the Nosler plant moved there from Ashland, and is now over 200,000--and climbing.)

At the time they'd just purchased their brass-making tooling, and planned to put it in Redmond. Dunno if that happened, but the Redmond site is operating--and expanding.

Oh, and they did look at moving the entire operation to another state before buying in Redmond, and in the end decided it made more economic sense to stay in Oregon.

Yeah, I remember when Bend had like 12,000 as a population.... like back in the late 70s when I was stationed at Ft Lewis, I'd go down there for a long weekend. It was a pleasant and real cheap place to hang out at.

Knew a guy here in the Rogue Valley that grew up with John Nosler in Ashland, back when it was just a railroad town.
As it grew, it started getting liberal and they wanted to tax the crap out of all businesses in Ashland. Nosler looked to relocate back then in the mid 60s or so. Bend at the time, offer the land that their Bend facility is on for free and then let them be tax free for like 25 year. They relocated up to Bend in like 1967.

Well since then Bend got discovered, and became a trendy town, so people moved there for that reason. Use to be a place to buy an older car, that was in good condition, that people liked to restore.. and the prices were pretty cheap. I think that helped it get discovered and became a place that relocating Californians liked for a small town feel and cheap prices. Of course that ship has sailed long ago. Redmond will probably be the next Bend over there in Deschutte's County.

I miss using their products, but as I said, with Drug Dealer Pricing, I'm no longer a customer unless they get back into the real world. Their success has gone to their head.. and if they are selling a lot of things, still at the price they are asking for, then evidently like P.T. Barnum always said... ' a fool and their money are quickly parted ".. with Joe Biden in the White House, its evident we have a lot of fools in this country....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

N
N
New to the forum. Nosler bullets are indeed becoming painful to buy, but that seems to be the case with everything in general these days. Up here in Canada we are really being hung out to dry by many of the dealers. Buying directly from Nosler is not an option, as they do not ship to Canada, so we are faced with the addition of shipping and customs related costs to the dealers up here, not to mention the horrible exchange rate for our Canadian dollar. Tack on the mark up dealers are adding on and provincial and federal sales taxes and it makes one think twice before buying them...if they even have any in stock to purchase.

Fortunately I have always believed in having a good stockpile of the reloading components I like, so that I can weather the not infrequent shortages at the retailers. As prices have escalated I have made it a practice to use the much cheaper cup and core bullets from Speer and Hornady if I a just burning powder at the range and getting in some trigger time. With the expensive fodder I have my loads I have worked up for the various cartridges I shoot and save that ammunition for range verification prior to a hunt and the hunt itself.

I like Nosler bullets and have been using them for over 50 years. I won't stop using them, but I certainly have changed how I use them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Crickeys, people, some of you are acting like you’re being forced to buy Nosler bullets.

Quit bitching and either pony up or find alternatives.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Doing some quick math in my head….50 unprimed cases are $100 which is $2 per case….decent bullets are $80 - $90 for 50 or ~ $1.75ea powder and primer brings the cost of a loaded round to ~ $4.00 each. The cost of 20 loaded Nosler cartridges, based on those numbers, is roughly $80 a box….which is about what one would pay for Nosler factory rounds. Some loadings are more and some are a little less for factory loads but it’s not the value that reloaders have come to expect. If you’re trying to get people to buy your loaded ammo then remove the cost savings that reloaders derived from loading their own. In either case I don’t have an affinity for Nosler so unless their stuff is reasonably priced I don’t have any trouble passing them by. I know that the Partition is a dependable hunting bullet but I could never get the accuracy that I got from other similar C&C bullets like the TBBC or A-Frame. While the difference in accuracy with the Partition was not enough to make a practical difference at typical hunting ranges but much of shooting and hunting is one’s confidence in their equipment.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Prob off a little on the brass price there.

Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor is 1.33 a case, new. Depends on cartridge of course but most common ones I see are below 2 a case.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Crickeys, people, some of you are acting like you’re being forced to buy Nosler bullets.

Quit bitching and either pony up or find alternatives.

P

+P or is that +1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Prob off a little on the brass price there.

Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor is 1.33 a case, new. Depends on cartridge of course but most common ones I see are below 2 a case.

Creed brass was cheaper but Grendel brass was $89.95+tax. Creedmoor ammo and brass is everywhere so the law of supply and demand is in effect but for virtually everything else it was at least $90 per 50.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Nobody , that I recall, mentioned the wars we are financing affect on the price of domestic ammo and component prices. I have no clue as to who, of our manufactures, are and to what extent they are contributing to those wars. Surely if they are all contributing at a significant level it has to significantly affect the domestic supply and thusly drive up prices. I have always believed the US consumer takes second seat compared to the industrial military complex.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve used Nosler bullets since 1973, always a dependable bullet for what game I’ve chosen them for. Lots of choices out there today that perform as well or better. I don’t pick a bullet to use hunting based purely on cost, but if they’re expensive I will limit my use of them! A few shots to check zero and then go hunting will allow a box to go quite a ways. I can practice with cheap stuff.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
My thoughts exactly.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mohall57
Nobody , that I recall, mentioned the wars we are financing affect on the price of domestic ammo and component prices. I have no clue as to who, of our manufactures, are and to what extent they are contributing to those wars. Surely if they are all contributing at a significant level it has to significantly affect the domestic supply and thusly drive up prices. I have always believed the US consumer takes second seat compared to the industrial military complex.

I have mentioned this several times on this forum--and yes, it's true, and not just about bullets but other handloading components, whether bullets, cases, primers or powder.

A good example is the "suspension" of production of the excellent IMR Enduron powders, which was due to previous military contracts of the Quebec plant where they're made.

The present military situation has not only driven up the price of powder and primers, but the price of basic materials, such as lead and cartridge brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.