Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Watch these birds in Alberta perform a synchronized dance routine to attract a mate

For these birds in Alberta, teamwork really does make the dream work

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2303349827978

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,
They are one of my favourite birds to watch, hunt and of course eat.
I know of several Leks within a half hour of my place. Been out a few times to watch but we try not to get too close and disturb them.
Very cool to watch.
About an hour and a half from here there are a couple Sage grouse Leks I have been to with a bio friend who is working on the recovery program (Multi-SAR)
Jeff

R
RHM Offline
R
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hi Steve,
I know of several Leks within a half hour of my place. Been out a few times to watch but we try not to get too close and disturb them.
Very cool to watch.
About an hour and a half from here there are a couple Sage grouse Leks I have been to with a bio friend who is working on the recovery program (Multi-SAR)
Jeff

Interesting to hear about the sage grouse Jeff.

Would you say they are more common than in years past I am sure I seen one south of tabour this year down by the volcano mountain things in Montana.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Steve,
Very cool to watch.
Jeff

I know what you mean. In Ontario, you only find them north of the Soo. I guess populations of Sharp Tails and other grouse are fluctuating wildly throughout the country.

We hunt almost exclusively for ruffed grouse here. We leave the spruce grouse for the Toronto crowd. smile

All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RHM
Hi Steve,
Very cool to watch.
Jeff

Interesting to hear about the sage grouse Jeff.

Would you say they are more common than in years past I am sure I seen one south of tabour this year down by the volcano mountain things in Montana.

Good evening,
I don't know if they are increasing in numbers that well, yet. South of Taber and slightly east is Sage grouse country, the last bastion of open Sage they require.
I plan to connect with my Bio buddy later this spring to see what he thinks. Cool birds, that is great that you saw one.
Jeff

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Hi Steve,
Very cool to watch.
Jeff

I know what you mean. In Ontario, you only find them north of the Soo. I guess populations of Sharp Tails and other grouse are fluctuating wildly throughout the country.

We hunt almost exclusively for ruffed grouse here. We leave the spruce grouse for the Toronto crowd. smile

All the best.

Hi Steve,
Ruffies are a blast to hunt for sure. Darn good eating! I'll shoot a Spruce when I come across them too, esp. early in the season when they are still edible without a bunch of seasonings.
Where I am, the Sharptail and Huns rule the day along with Ringneck pheasants. We are trying build a wild pheasant population through releases but it is slow going. Lots of issues with habitat loss and predation but some hold over in pockets.
Jeff

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We pass on the spruce grouse and their dark meat. We do harvest plenty of ruffed grouse each year though. They are the wild chicken meat in my area. Delicious.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Steve,
Ruffies are a blast to hunt for sure. Darn good eating! I'll shoot a Spruce when I come across them too, esp. early in the season when they are still edible without a bunch of seasonings.
Where I am, the Sharptail and Huns rule the day along with Ringneck pheasants. We are trying build a wild pheasant population through releases but it is slow going. Lots of issues with habitat loss and predation but some hold over in pockets.
Jeff

Sounds good, Jeff. Unfortunately, our Spruce Grouse season is in the fall, and by then, the meat tastes like you're eating a pine tree.

Originally Posted by snoeproe
We pass on the spruce grouse and their dark meat. We do harvest plenty of ruffed grouse each year though. They are the wild chicken meat in my area. Delicious.

That's what we do. For years I would bring a big pot into moose camp along with veggies and some spices. I used to make a grouse stew, but instead of potatoes as the filler, I used cabbage and rice. Lots of gas at the camp for a few days. We always went grouse hunting throughout our stay, but the first one was after setting up camp.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are spots in the sand hills near wainwright where bus loads of tourists would view these animals doing their thing. Beautiful birds in flight and surprisingly tough. I’ve seen them burry in the snow over a foot deep.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
There are spots in the sand hills near wainwright where bus loads of tourists would view these animals doing their thing. Beautiful birds in flight and surprisingly tough. I’ve seen them burry in the snow over a foot deep.

Wainwright brings back memories. We used to spend time there with friends on the way to Redcliff. I never got to hunt around there, but I used to wonder about the bison.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,
Jeff

Sounds good, Jeff. Unfortunately, our Spruce Grouse season is in the fall, and by then, the meat tastes like you're eating a pine tree.

Originally Posted by snoeproe

That's what we do. For years I would bring a big pot into moose camp along with veggies and some spices. I used to make a grouse stew, but instead of potatoes as the filler, I used cabbage and rice. Lots of gas at the camp for a few days. We always went grouse hunting throughout our stay, but the first one was after setting up camp.

Good evening Steve,
Fortunately, our season opens 1st of Sept and runs through 15 Jan. The Spruce grouse are good eating till roughly the end of Oct. After that, take a bunch of seasonings with you as you are quite right, they taste like the pine forest you hunted them in. We are usually done hunting the Foothills by then anyway. Field hunts on the open Prairie for ducks and geese become the rule of the day with Huns and pheasants on the side.

There is a 3 day season for grouse in Wainwright. I have never taken advantage of it or the other hunting opportunities that happen there. Too many exercises there to think anything good about the place LOL. There are plenty of Sharptails in the area for sure.
Of course, I don't participate in the Suffield elk hunt either, I work it instead.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have you ever hunted anything in Wainwright, Jeff? For years I said I would make an effort, but the service had other plans. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have you ever hunted anything in Wainwright, Jeff? For years I said I would make an effort, but the service had other plans. frown

Hi Steve,
To date, no. I just for whatever reason can't bring myself to go there. I should likely give the grouse hunt a try though.
I have heard that for the most part, it is a fun place to hunt. Maybe next year as I already have some commitments in place
this for Fall.
Jeff

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jeff, if you ever decide to make the Sharptail season at Wainwright send me a note and we can hook up. This is an annual trip to kick off bird season for me.

This picture is from last season - Buffalo West - had a 7 bird opening morning with another fellow. I think I ended up with 11 for 2 1/2 days out hunting the mornings only as it was super hot in the afternoons.

Hugh
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HughW
Jeff, if you ever decide to make the Sharptail season at Wainwright send me a note and we can hook up. This is an annual trip to kick off bird season for me.

This picture is from last season - Buffalo West - had a 7 bird opening morning with another fellow. I think I ended up with 11 for 2 1/2 days out hunting the mornings only as it was super hot in the afternoons.

Good evening Hugh,

That looks like quite the morning! Very nice indeed. Good looking dogs!
I have an 8 year old Chocolate Lab that I was given last Fall. Well trained dog, loves Pheasant and Huns plus waterfowl.
I have yet to get him on Ruffies but I suspect he will do quite fine. Spring trainging starts pretty soon.
Previous owner had to give him up due to family medical issues.
One look and I knew he was coming home with me.

Thanks, I will keep your offer in mind. IIRC, the grouse season there early in Sept? I have you in my calendar for 2025 now actually.
I know this Fall, we are planning to be in the Crowsnest Pass area hunting Blue grouse as soon as grouse opens the 1st of Sept.
Much appreciated,
Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.