Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If you really want an oddball, try to locate a 5” M60 or 5” M63. 😁
I have no idea why S&W went with 5" barrels on those. Always figured a 4" .38 Special Kit Gun would be ideal - basically the exact same configuration as the original Model 63 but in .38.

The 3" Model 60-4 is pretty close but it just never made sense not to reproduce the Model 63 in a center fire. They did make one in .32 H&R Magnum but they only did that to make people kick themselves for not buying one then, now that they cost two arms and 1.5 legs... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Best and cheapest would be an older (pre-1994) model 37 airweight. Same thing as a model 36 or 60 except aluminum frame. I have pocket carried a model 38 airweight for 20 years now. Also, the model 37s are seemingly cheaper than model 60 or 36.

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those were chambered in .357 where minimum useful barrel length is 4". Buying .357 with short barrel is about as smart as buying smallest pistol and asking for mags with largest extension.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's my Model 38 No Dash, wearing modern S&W-brand rubberized boot grips (I have the original grips, too, but this one gets carried and shot so I keep these on it).

[Linked Image]

Mine was among the first made Bodyguard J-Frames, which were aluminum framed from the start. Later they came out with the same model, but with a steel frame (the Model 49 Bodyguard), but the aluminum framed Model 38 Bodyguard came out first (which is a bit of a reversal of the usual order of introduction).

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have two model 60s. Both 3" and adj. sights. I love em and carry one every day. I have killed jacks up to 60 yards with my old one. I often carry it in my vest pocket and have a glove covering the butt. just a bit sticks out. Here is no matter because open carry is also legal. My step daughter has a 2" but I seldom shoot it. My needs are probably far different than most, but it is a favorite.

Molon Labe
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I have no idea why S&W went with 5" barrels on those. Always figured a 4" .38 Special Kit Gun would be ideal - basically the exact same configuration as the original Model 63 but in .38.

The 3" Model 60-4 is pretty close but it just never made sense not to reproduce the Model 63 in a center fire. They did make one in .32 H&R Magnum but they only did that to make people kick themselves for not buying one then, now that they cost two arms and 1.5 legs... wink

They’re actually pretty well balanced and easy to shoot with the longer sight radius. Just not quite as handy. S&W carried holsters for a while and I snagged one and got another from Simply Rugged holsters.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Oops double post.

They’re actually pretty well balanced and easy to shoot with the longer sight radius. Just not quite as handy. S&W carried holsters for a while and I snagged one and got another from Simply Rugged holsters.

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/02/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by cra1948
On consignment at the lgs are 3 j frames that have been there a while.

I have not had a small revolver since my brother “borrowed” my SP 101 about 20 years ago. Been thinking lately that, for no good reason, I need a .38 pocket revolver.

The guns in question are a 2” 36, a 2” 60 and a 3” 60.

Thoughts??

Those are too heavy for pocket carry. You do not need heavy revolver for .38 Special round, obvious choice is Al- framed Model 637. Old classic cartridges like .38 Special, .44 Special,.... are fine with 2" barrels because unlike in some magnums loss of velocity is not serious concern. With correct loads blast and noise can also be reduced. The 3" barrel seriously reduces holster selection.
Buy "silver finish" as those show cosmetic carry wear well, sort of like white automobile versus black one.
Some of you need to get out more and shoot those guns, you ain't getting any younger and it is no fun to leave mint stuff for others.

Dude, I've hammered some of your post, but in all fairness I must say this if pretty much spot on. Does that mean I'm agreeing with you? Well, kinda maybe. whistle

Good points IMO. Just from my 342 to my 642 is a 4 or 5 ounce diff. Not much right? No, just nearly a 25% increase. Pocket carry a 342 & switch to the 642. A hell of a diff in feel. With todays light clothing an all steel J frame would have your clothes hanging sideways. Steel J carriers usually caried one in each pocket to get balance.

Guess if the all steels J's weren't selling they'd discontinue. But wonder why they are selling considering the alternatives.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, the steel J-Frames are belt guns, not pocket guns. Heck, I don't even consider the aluminum framed J-Frames to be great all day front pants pocket guns. For that, when I do pocket carry, I use a Sig P238 in an Alabama pocket holster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are so blessed, to have so many wonderful options.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by cra1948
On consignment at the lgs are 3 j frames that have been there a while.

I have not had a small revolver since my brother “borrowed” my SP 101 about 20 years ago. Been thinking lately that, for no good reason, I need a .38 pocket revolver.

The guns in question are a 2” 36, a 2” 60 and a 3” 60.

Thoughts??

Those are too heavy for pocket carry. You do not need heavy revolver for .38 Special round, obvious choice is Al- framed Model 637. Old classic cartridges like .38 Special, .44 Special,.... are fine with 2" barrels because unlike in some magnums loss of velocity is not serious concern. With correct loads blast and noise can also be reduced. The 3" barrel seriously reduces holster selection.
Buy "silver finish" as those show cosmetic carry wear well, sort of like white automobile versus black one.
Some of you need to get out more and shoot those guns, you ain't getting any younger and it is no fun to leave mint stuff for others.

Dude, I've hammered some of your post, but in all fairness I must say this if pretty much spot on. Does that mean I'm agreeing with you? Well, kinda maybe. whistle

Good points IMO. Just from my 342 to my 642 is a 4 or 5 ounce diff. Not much right? No, just nearly a 25% increase. Pocket carry a 342 & switch to the 642. A hell of a diff in feel. With todays light clothing an all steel J frame would have your clothes hanging sideways. Steel J carriers usually caried one in each pocket to get balance.

Guess if the all steels J's weren't selling they'd discontinue. But wonder why they are selling considering the alternatives.

That's what Clint suggests. 🤩

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
3” model 60 with adjustable sights.

Ditto. One of the best "woods carry" companions you could ask for.

I glossed over this thread the other day and noted something about a Model 60 3” and it didn’t trip my trigger too much. Lo and behold yesterday I perused a gun show in another county an hour away from home. The very last vendor at the small show had a Model 60-4 .38 with adjustable sights. It looked to be in decent shape…..$425 was the price.

Due to the logistics involved with my county pistol permit department and much dicking around, I passed then regretted it half way home. Lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Ditto. One of the best "woods carry" companions you could ask for.

I glossed over this thread the other day and noted something about a Model 60 3” and it didn’t trip my trigger too much. Lo and behold yesterday I perused a gun show in another county an hour away from home. The very last vendor at the small show had a Model 60-4 .38 with adjustable sights. It looked to be in decent shape…..$425 was the price.

Due to the logistics involved with my county pistol permit department and much dicking around, I passed then regretted it half way home. Lol
I sold a used 60-4 about 5 years ago on another site for $1,200!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Love mine. Carry it bowhunting and hiking. Fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for a short little shooter. Pachmyar grip takes the sting out of heavier loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 3" full-lug version is the only J-frame I own these days. Mine wears rubber "Compac" Pachmayr grips. Easy/simple for the wife/kids to shoot and accurate. Great little guns.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a bit more than 500 rounds through the Lipsey's 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame in .32 H&R.

Definitely a keeper.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by centershot

Love mine. Carry it bowhunting and hiking. Fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for a short little shooter. Pachmyar grip takes the sting out of heavier loads.

I recently picked up one of those but have yet to shoot it. My favorite is likely this one though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Cra1948: Dang it - my New Years Resolution got violated by a "J" frame yesterday! Back on New Years day I "vowed" to try and quit buying guns and start selling them!
My local gunshop just got a Smith & Wesson Model 642-1 in on consignment. It was as new in the box with a nifty Kydex holster to boot. The action lock-up and detonation timing was tight as a tick - no slop what so ever!
I didn't even dicker on the price ($350.00 and no sales tax in Montana) and out the door I went.
Over the decades I have not done much, at all, shooting the full shrouded hammer revolvers - but it will come out of the holster smoothly I am sure - if the need be, in some self defense situation.
Long live the S&W "J" frame revolvers - useful, reliable, fun, good looking and easy to conceal.
I have to look up the manufacture date on this 642-1 - as the fit and function are commendable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends on use. If you plan to carry a bunch the 2 inch 60 is great in stainless.

But hard to beat the 36 with the bluing, a classic S&W if anything is. I would try to research the serial number of the 36, and see when it was made, if made in the 50 or 60s grab it.

I have a couple J frames that get carried more often than anything else.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The only wheel gun I currently have is a S&W M60 3" 357 Mag. My dad gave it to me. It's a cool little blaster. I usually only carry it when I'm in the woods hunting, riding or cutting firewood.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.