Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
In my 40+ years if elk hunting I have only been succesful 9x. 7 of those were with my pre 64 mdl 70 in 270 win and 150 gr partitions. The other two were with a 30-06 and 180 gr sierra flat base. Next fall will be my last hunt and I'm taking a 30-06, and looking for a bullet it will not be Nosler as they have become rediculously priced not to mention hard to find. So what say you between

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
3. BARNES TTSX (150 OR 168)
OTHERS?

THANKS

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Of the ones you listed I’d pick the Barnes, either weight will be fine. My ‘06 prefers the 150 TTSX but I’ve used the 168 in my 300s since they hit the market. Never a problem getting great performance and accuracy.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've used the ELDX on a few elk, but back when I couldn't get a bonded bullet anywhere. I just made darn sure to avoid big bone when using them. I don't use them anymore on elk as there are other options available to me.

Just picked up Speer's bonded bullet, the Impact, but not yet used them on any big game. Same goes with a 165 gr. TTSX.

One not on your list is the Norma Oryx, which I can recommend. 180 grain or 200 grain. Just load them to the same MV as you would a Partition.
The Norma shipping container must have recently dropped because I've been seeing adds for them on the 'net.

Good luck with your choice and your hunt.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't use a a ELD X if they were given to me for free. I had the 175 all but blow up on impact at 247 yards with my 7PRC.

Barnes 168 TTSX in a 30-06 with a 2800 - 2850 fps MV and you won't lose sleep.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any of those will work fine. Faster is better for Barnes anything so 150s would be my choice over 168s.

Honestly, I have used Hornady Interlock with results that would be hard to tell any difference.

Where in Wa.?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Barnes all day long, TTSX or LRX. I have no desire to shoot at anything else with an ELDX, been there done that...not impressed. I have no experience with the Speer Impact so cant comment there.

Bill

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really like the performance of the Barnes TTSX. Quick opening, but retains much bullet weight and penetrates well.

Guy

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've used others but I and my family now only use two bullets for elk and I only use factory ammo.

TBBC from my .280 or 30-06 as I have a couple boxes left of them. 4 elk
When they're gone I'll switch to TTSX.

Barnes TTSX or TSX. 165 gr from either my 300 WSM Montana or ULA 300 Win. 20 elk, mostly bulls
120 gr TTSX from my grand kids 7-08 Rem 700 youth rifle 2 so far.

Problem with elk is that they don't stand perfectly broadside and let you shoot at them.
I want a tough bullet that penetrates and hopefully exits. Most of the time that's what these two bullets do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
Any of those will work fine. Faster is better for Barnes anything so 150s would be my choice over 168s.

Honestly, I have used Hornady Interlock with results that would be hard to tell any difference.

Where in Wa.?

The 168 is made for the .30-06 velocity.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hunt will be in oregon. Tri cities where I live

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BigNate

Where in Wa.?

Another vote for this...and plain old Hornady SP in the '06

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had good luck with the 168 grain TTSX in the .30-06 at 2850-2900 fps. My last two bulls were killed with that load.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
165 or 180-grain Hornady IL.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Hunt will be in oregon. Tri cities where I live

East side or west side? Rocky mt, or Roosevelt? I'd go with the TTSX, either way. Good luck with your hunt. Hopefully you draw a good unit.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My vote is for the Sierra Gameking either 180 gr or 200 gr.
They have always worked for me .
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Speer 200 grain HotCor.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just about any bullet in a .06 approaching 200 grains will kill elk. Can't figure out why partitions are too expensive and yet the Barnes is thrown in there.

I have several more year than 40 hunting elk and quite a few more elk killed. A 180 gr bullet of Sierra, Hornady, Speer will do the job although my preference is 220gr round nose in thick timber and close shots. IMHO, all these specialty bullets came into being when the magnumitus craze hit the country and hunters finally figure out that cup and core bullets did not hold up well at magnum velocities or hunters fell for the fallacy that all elk were shot at 600 + yards.

Realizing any cartridge's limitations the lowly 30-30 with a 170 gr C&C bullet will kill and elk just as fast as 300WM. I have successfully killed more than few elk using a 50 caliber muzzle loader with a modest charge of black powder.

Pick a bullet of 180 grains or better that your rifle and you shoot well, quit over thinking it, go elk hunting, and put the bullet in the correct place.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/03/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
TTSX 150 would be a solid (no pun intended) choice! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 11 years that my elk rifle was my .30-06, I killed 9 elk with it using 150 gr Hornady or 180 gr Sierra cup and core bullets. I missed 2 years of elk hunting during that period as my Uncle sent me on a visit to Vietnam.

More recently, I've been impressed with Barnes 168 gr TSX and TTSX bullets on the elk that I've killed with my .300 Weatherby.

It's more about bullet placement than the name on the bullet box.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd load up some of those 172 gr Speer Impacts see how they shoot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Just about any bullet in a .06 approaching 200 grains will kill elk. Can't figure out why partitions are too expensive and yet the Barnes is thrown in there.

I have several more year than 40 hunting elk and quite a few more elk killed. A 180 gr bullet of Sierra, Hornady, Speer will do the job although my preference is 220gr round nose in thick timber and close shots. IMHO, all these specialty bullets came into being when the magnumitus craze hit the country and hunters finally figure out that cup and core bullets did not hold up well at magnum velocities or hunters fell for the fallacy that all elk were shot at 600 + yards.

Realizing any cartridge's limitations the lowly 30-30 with a 170 gr C&C bullet will kill and elk just as fast as 300WM. I have successfully killed more than few elk using a 50 caliber muzzle loader with a modest charge of black powder.

Pick a bullet of 180 grains or better that your rifle and you shoot well, quit over thinking it, go elk hunting, and put the bullet in the correct place.

Taking the sensible approach. As for partitions being overpriced. For the last 3 years, they have been price gouging the hell out of us, and some of us have said F them. $80+/box of bullets is overpriced. They lost a lot of good customers because of this. As for Barnes, they have not missed a beat. Their prices were always in line with what partitions cost, and they are still in the $4x.xx/box realm. I buy them much cheaper, but I find the deals. The last ones cost me $19.95/box.

I also know good ol Hornady interlocks work on elk, just load heavy for cartridge and you'll be golden. Like you said, put the bullet in the right spot.

Hell, I bought some old Barnes the other day, for $15/box, that would work in a pinch. They are the 250gr originals. The nice thing about the 30-06 is its flexibility. Use a 150gr monometal, up to a 250gr cup and core, and you'll be just fine. I'd also start with a 180gr, if using a C&C bullet. The old Winchester power points worked well too, if you can find them.

There are so many good choices, especially if you get out and look..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do have a few 180 gr partitions that I bought for $13/box of 50 from SPS. They didn't kill any better or faster than what I have always used.Better bullet? Probably. Required? No.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the bigger picture of elk hunt expenses, even my local hunts, I can't see getting too hung up on the price of a bullet! May just be me though. Of the OP's choices I would pick one of the TTSXs

Last edited by MikeS; 03/03/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I do have a few 180 gr partitions that I bought for $13/box of 50 from SPS. They didn't kill any better or faster than what I have always used.Better bulelt? Probably. Required? No.

Those were the good days. I have some 200gr partitions from about 5 years ago, that only cost me $13.50/bag. I should have bought a truck load at that price, but did not realize they were going to be pricing how they are now. For elk, the 200gr in the 30-06 is the real winner. You can definitely get by with the 180 though. However, the OP doesn't want to buy Noslers.

I was at a damn shop in Reno a few days ago, and there was an old open box of .308 180gr Nosler partitions. The old ones that were turned on a lathe. I asked how much they wanted for them, and the guy comes back, and says "these were the first Nosler partitions, they want $100.00 for this box". I told him they can keep them for that price!!! This was at Mark Fore and Strike. I don't do much business with them, as their prices are generally way too high on stuff. Then, the manager comes back, and asks if I wanted the bullets, as they were the first partitions. He said, "did you know that?". I said yes, I have some at home, but I for damn sure did not pay $100.00 per box for them!!!! He looked dumbfounded.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
In the bigger picture of elk hunt expenses, even my local hunts, I can't see getting too hung up on the price of a bullet! May just be me though. Of the OP's choices I would pick one of the TTSXs

This has always been my contention…..not just elk, but any game. Most of us will spend more $ on fuel in one hunting season, than all of the bullets fired in the year! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Barnes TTSX or LRX
Maker TREX.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The question wasn't about price. It was what bullet.I have heard the old saying for 50 + years that the bullet is the cheap part of the hunt. If one listens to a lot of guys on this forum they would think you could load you rifle with Barnes bullet, lean it against a tree, and come back the next day to find an elk laying there. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The question wasn't about price. It was what bullet.I have heard the old saying for 50 + years that the bullet is the cheap part of the hunt. If one listens to a lot of guys on this forum they would think you could load you rifle with Barnes bullet, lean it against a tree, and come back the next day to find an elk laying there. grin

It’s worked exactly like that for a lot of us! 😜

Seriously though, some welcome innovation… while some of us reject innovation! I’m as guilty as some about rejecting….. though some things are so obvious, that “even a blind squirrel can recognize them”! 🤔

Heck fire….you may remember some folks that thought that rifling in a barrel was one of “ Satan’s temptations. 😂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But in the original post,the Nosler was off the list of choices due to price. A 200 grain partition in my 30-06 would be my first choice for my spots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I wouldn't use a a ELD X if they were given to me for free. I had the 175 all but blow up on impact at 247 yards with my 7PRC.

I would be extremely interested to see a picture of that if you have one

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As I have said before the 180 gr Partition, can't beat it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good grief, any decent bullet from a 30-06 will take elk. Finding the elk is the bigger problem.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Why would you want to use anything but what you perceive as the best

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In the last few years I have been using Accubonds, for elk. I have yet to recover a bullet. Last years elk was 150 yards, he paused and i hit him just behind the near shoulder, and the bullet came out in front of the offside hindquarter. Cannot beat that. I have been using primarily Nosler products for nearly 60 years , and while i have tried others I have always gone back to the Nosler bullet. Between me and a few others over a 100 elk have been taken with a Nosler bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used a 30/06 my entire hunting life. When I was reloading the Hornady 3070---180 grain interlock spire point was my bullet. Then I started using factory loads & plain old Winchester 180 grain power-points worked great. Lots of dead elk with both. Bulls & Cows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
Speer 200 grain HotCor.

This ^ or the 180gr Hot Core or Hornady.... inexpensive, accurate and all the bullet you need for elk.

Brad, called it.... the hard part will be finding that elk!

Last edited by Blacktail53; 03/03/24.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
168 TTSX is your huckleberry. I use the 168 TTSX in .300 Weatherby and switched to 175 LRX for .30-06. I’ve only shot 1 buck with the 175 LRX but it performed as advertised and the 8 pt succumbed immediately. Either would be a great choice.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
But in the original post,the Nosler was off the list of choices due to price. A 200 grain partition in my 30-06 would be my first choice for my spots.

I love that 200gr partition. It even works on deer!! Now, we all know the 180gr partition is the gold standard in the good ol 06, but after using the 200gr, it made a believer out of me. It penetrates much better than the old tried and true 180. It's also extremely accurate. But like someone else said, the partition was not on the list. Hence, the reason I said TTSX.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Oh, yes you can. And by a long shot. Try a 200gr partition.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I’d guess since you always want pics and proof, you have a pile of pics of dead stuff to back up the claim?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Maybe you can, but I’ve stood next to or been on the same mountain as that old Goat with him flinging them old screw machine turned 180’s at elk, and a lot of them had a good back pack ride to the bottom of the mountain via 180 PTs grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had excellent results from Hornady Interbond bullets on elk.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The place to buy Nosler bullets is shootersproshop dot com.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the OP list.

I am solidly in the Barnes camp.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do not use 143ELD-X on elk, unless you want to use a bunch of them. Shot last fall's bull 6 times with 143 ELD-X's from 6.5 Creedmoor @ 200 yards. They acted like varmint bullets. I personally will not make that mistake again. Have used .308 Interlocks without issue - so not a Hornady Hater, but the 143ELD-X is not an elk bullet.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you like how the Partitions work, I'd not let the price of a few boxes of ammo/bullets deter me for a last hunt. Of those you listed, I'd be looking at the Barnes offerings.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No bigger fan of Partition’s terminal performance than me, but given the choices the TTSX’s in a heartbeat…

I’ve killed lots of elk with the 270 and 150 NPt’s, some with TSX’s and TTSX’s with other chamberings. They are both good.

I can buy NPt’s cheaper than I can buy TTSX’s.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by pointer
If you like how the Partitions work, I'd not let the price of a few boxes of ammo/bullets deter me for a last hunt. Of those you listed, I'd be looking at the Barnes offerings.

Exactly right. They are about $1.40 bullet for .277 / 150 gr. So what, you get what you want... If you dont want to spend that , you can get good bullets from Speer for about 30 cents a piece. Hornady is about 40 cents. The whole hunt will cost you $1,000? but your choice of bullets will add an extra $20 .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a "thrifty Scots-Irishman", I find a good load with the bullet I want to try ( i.e. Barnes, etc) and then set up a load as identical as I can with cheaper Hornady's, Speers, etc. I shoot them for practice (or deer/antelope), and then re-zero/hunt with the Fancy's for elk! I get lots of trigger time in and get many hunts out of a box of Premiums that way.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good practice indeed!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had Nosler Partitions fail to do their job on Caribou in Alaska with well placed shots , that Sierra's made em fall over DRT. Went back to Sierra game kings and used match king same loads to dial in the rifle. You dont want a Caribou running away 5 miles in the snow and then stop bleeding , you want em to drop where you shoot em ! Same with elk , Moose , or Bears , especially Bears !
I'm not a fan of Barnes Bullets after trying them , but thats me being anal about accuracy and expansion.
The Old Remington RN Core-Lokts performed the Best for me in several rifles over many years , then they were discontinued.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
I had Nosler Partitions fail to do their job on Caribou in Alaska with well placed shots , that Sierra's made em fall over DRT. Went back to Sierra game kings and used match king same loads to dial in the rifle. You dont want a Caribou running away 5 miles in the snow and then stop bleeding , you want em to drop where you shoot em ! Same with elk , Moose , or Bears , especially Bears !
I'm not a fan of Barnes Bullets after trying them , but thats me being anal about accuracy and expansion.
The Old Remington RN Core-Lokts performed the Best for me in several rifles over many years , then they were discontinued.
Rich

???
What was the deal with partitions on caribou? Details?

I am not a big Nosler fan as their concentricity and accuracy generally hasn't been impressive to me, but I have never had a partition or accubond not kill well if I actually hit something with them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same here Mike. Doesn't even come close to mattering. Filling my 55 gallon fuel tank hits me way more than a few boxes of bullets to hunt with.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here Mike. Doesn't even come close to mattering. Filling my 55 gallon fuel tank hits me way more than a few boxes of bullets to hunt with.

Make that 3 of us.

Heck, I'll send the OP a handful of 270/150 Partitions if that will help. They seem to work wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
... the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over .
Rich

Wait - There's a bullet that will make critters run to a spot uphill from the road then fall over? That is the most perfect performance possible, next to them just dropping right in the road! I gotta get me some o' them Partitions!

Jokes aside, Rich, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with a Partition, but you are in a very small minority. Maybe you had a faulty bullet?
Rifle-wise, I've only killed elk with Partitions, ABs, or TSX and no complaints with either.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/05/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

I have noticed the exit holes from partitions can be deceiving and there a lot of damage created while the petals fold back prior to the rear portions exit. Since you examined the internal damage though, I'ma glad you were able to recover your caribou.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/05/24.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rich

I have noticed the exit holes from partitions can be deceiving and there a lot of damage created while the petals fold back prior to the rear portions exit. Since you examined the internal damage though, I'ma glad you were able to recover your caribou.

Today’s Hammer Bullets are kinda like a high velocity impact with a partition. A lot of initial damage, with a large base continuing on….often with an exit. JMO memtb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rich

If a bullet goes completely through an animal it has wasted a lot of energy and is also unsafe for possible unseen hunters downrange, or in the case of Caribou herds , wound another animal on the other side of it . I like a bullet to mushroom and stop before exiting the animal and impart 100% of its energy to make a Humane 1 shot kill. I still have bullets recovered from Big Game that did what they were supposed to do. I have done extensive Bullet testing for accuracy and performance over the past 50 years , and just because a bullet has a fancy name does not mean it will work in real life !
Rich

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rich

If a bullet goes completely through an animal it has wasted a lot of energy and is also unsafe for possible unseen hunters downrange, or in the case of Caribou herds , wound another animal on the other side of it . I like a bullet to mushroom and stop before exiting the animal and impart 100% of its energy to make a Humane 1 shot kill. I still have bullets recovered from Big Game that did what they were supposed to do. I have done extensive Bullet testing for accuracy and performance over the past 50 years , and just because a bullet has a fancy name does not mean it will work in real life !
Rich

One of the primary rules for shooting…..know your target and what is beyond!

A rule that most “sock puppets”, such as yourself……tend to ignore or am completely oblivious too!

Congrats….another to the growing ignore list! memtb

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Rich

Rich

There are.many types of energy, heat, stored, electrical, etc. In a bulletbit "kinetic energy" witch is a math calculation of mass abd velocity.
The idea that kinetic energy transfers is pure BS. Momentum transfers always

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Rich

Rich

There are.many types of energy, heat, stored, electrical, etc. In a bulletbit "kinetic energy" witch is a math calculation of mass abd velocity.
The idea that kinetic energy transfers is pure BS. Momentum transfers always
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=Mooseman684][quote=MikeS][quote=Mooseman684]The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

Absolutely…..this! 👍👍👍

We have been mislead by the cartridge manufacturers for many decades about the ft/lbs energy myth.

As I’ve posted several times, for any one interested in learning a bit more about the bullets effect on animals…….here it is again! memtb

https://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/politics.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t think moose man is that off base about the wounded animals from pass through ordinances.

In my mind ignoring KE in a kinetic round seems unfounded.

But accuracy limitations due to felt recoil is something all hunters should consider.

Accuracy trumps all.

So I suggest choosing which bullet you shoot most accurately, and the manufacturer of the bullet recommends it for the size of game you are hunting. In my mind the OP has some good choices.

I like Barnes bullets, I also like 200 grain NP s, ever since mule deer pointed out they were ballistically superior to the 180 in the 3006.

The one thing I read here on the campfire was how poorly the 200 grain hot cor did shooting a beef cow shoulder knuckle. ( perhaps I am in error……..I hope so….cuz I got a pile of them)

U might need a double tap for 9 mm and 45 acp to stop a human……..but how about the 44 rem mag?

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/05/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BCHunter666: Stick with the Nosler Partitions on Elk - I do NOT care how hard they are to find or how expensive they are.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive personally always used Nosler Partitions or Accubonds for my elk hunting. When i've put em where they are supposed to go and they work every time. I've been with others when they have dropped em where they stood at short to long distances with Hornady ELDs and Berger VLDs. Ive also seen some real rodeos start with a poorly placed bullet no matter who made it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Comparing bullets, or cartridges for that matter, if done in a believable way, is more informative where a lot of animals can be taken and observed, with the differences and sameness in range, target animal orientation, reactions, bullet penetration levels, internal damage, state of awareness, reaction after the hit, and anything else you want to add to your measurements is done.

Sometimes you can see a differance between 2 cartridges or 2 bullets that becomes very clear after a days culling on one species but not as clear when comparing other animals of similar size or sub species.

The more culls or kills you do, the more similar the results can seem where nuances and isolated reactions to a particular bullet or cartridge can be accepted as that.

The main thing that I learned from culling is yes, I did see differences between neighboring cartridges, sometimes. But, I also saw brackets of similarities where using more, whatever you want to add, be it caliber, velocity, kinetic energy, bullet design, didn't matter anymore because the reaction, meaning what was starting to be a uniform observation became more uniform or similar until calibers perhaps reached another level.

Most hunters shoot medium sized animals, say under 300 pounds with generally thin skins, light bones and the ability to be taken, not always but often, in an unalarmed state. The results of most anything between a .25/06 and a .338 magnum will perform similarly. I stress, that I am not speaking of single animals and the assumption is, that a bullet of game construction with a velocity over about 2500fps at usual game ranges under 200 yards, and closer if you're honest about it, is used.

There will be exceptions and I have experienced them enough to know they exist but decades ago I learned them to be something more similar to 270's than dissimilar, yet I don't own one, preferring 7mm as my .270.

I hope you notice I am talking calibers mostly, cartridges secondly and bullets lastly. We all know that the bullet is the primary item of concern but the launching pad influences how that bullet is delivered and each caliber offers several or many cartridge case sizes to launch from.

It's a good discussion but it needn't generate conflict of opinion if animal reactions are quoted from an experience then back out, to allow more supporting or discenting experiences to present.

If you remember than some animals may be heavier but still considered characteristically softer or tougher for their weight, it only demonstrates the value in averaging out experiences and keeping the mind open as it may change with the next animal taken and open a whole new train of thought.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
at 70 years of age this will be my 1st and only Plains Game Hunt in Africa and i will be using the simple 30-06 too . here is what i have tried , they shoot excellent ,work well on game and are easy to have sent to you because this company always has their bullets in stock = Hammer Hunters 30 caliber 160 grain bullets , i am tired of trying to find enough other brand bullets that are in stock at a store .i like the convenience of just having bullets sent fast thru the mail ,i live out in the country and the less i have to go to a town or city the better. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In my 40+ years if elk hunting I have only been succesful 9x. 7 of those were with my pre 64 mdl 70 in 270 win and 150 gr partitions. The other two were with a 30-06 and 180 gr sierra flat base. Next fall will be my last hunt and I'm taking a 30-06, and looking for a bullet it will not be Nosler as they have become rediculously priced not to mention hard to find. So what say you between

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
OTHERS?

THANKS
Going back to the OP which is important, I have shot some nice under half inch groups with the 168gn TTSX using 60gn of H4350. Velocity is around 2850fps so would be my choice.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by buttstock
Speer 200 grain HotCor.

I think he may have a point Most of my elk have been taken using .35 Whelen but I have used 30 caliber on two elk. The first was that 200 gr. Hot Core mentioned. It was shot from a .300Win. Mag pushing close to 2900 FPS. The elk was lasered at 530 yards and was down with the first shot She kicked a little then expired. I only hunt cow elk as I'm strictly a meat hunter. Bullet was never recovered.

Same result on another cow elk at right around 100 yards with a 30-06. Bullet was the 165 gr. Accubond. Why so light a bullet? The rifle is a custom and has a slower twist that the normal 1 in 10 and refuses to shoot anything heavier that 165 gr. Same as with the 200 gr. bullet, it was not recovered. That elk ran maybe 30 yards before dropping.

What exoerience I've had with the barnes TSX has been rather dismal. The 100 gr. 25 caliber grouped poorly in a .257 Robt. The 120 and q40 gr. TSX 7MM bullets never grouped worth a damn in three 7x57 rifles and a .280 Rem. I've never tried them in any 30 Caliber.

On the other hand, the 225 gr. TSX has been a superbly accurate bullet in my .35 Whelen and has accounted for six elk, all one shot kills with most down DRT. None ran more than ten or so feet.

I have other rifles in 30-06. A couple of Remington M700s, A classic and a BDL. Both shoot the 180 gr.Hornady SP Interlock into just about an inch. I do push the load some and get about 2820 FPS on average. Either rifle with that load would put a serious hurt on any elk that got in front of that bullet.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
168 Ttsx in front of big game.
I think I'm around 2950fps. I'd have to look
Here is couple shots at a gong at 420 yards. Leupold 3.5-10 CDS whistle
Yeah I know it's only 2 shots. Not 3 or 5. Didn't feel the need to ruin that .
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dre; 03/08/24.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by pointer
I agree 100%. Of all the money we spend on hunting, bullets are one of the lowest costs we face. No matter how expensive they are.

I prefer 150 gr. Barnes TTSX in my 30-06 and 139 gr. Hornady CX in my 7mm-08. I don't mind paying a bit for the accuracy and terminal performance I want.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
OTHERS?

THANKS

Bullet price is the least of your worries. Looking at Midway, the 168 grain X is $47/50 and the 180 grain partitions are $80/50. I'm not making my choice based on saving $33 for 50 bullets for the last elk hunt of my life.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
OTHERS?

THANKS
If its going to be your last hunt why not go with something your rifle likes even if it is Nosler, if it does like Nosler which ones?

S
S
Barnes 168 TTSX hands down. I'm Barnes prejudiced after shooting their #3 manual data and daily function tests for 5 years. I've shot, and taken all of my animals with Barnes Bullets since 1991, worked there 2000-2005. Killed deer and elk with everything from 223 Rem-375Wby. Majority of kills were 280Rem and 140gr Barnes TSX, TTSX. Good hunting!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.