Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
Originally Posted by MikeS
The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

I have noticed the exit holes from partitions can be deceiving and there a lot of damage created while the petals fold back prior to the rear portions exit. Since you examined the internal damage though, I'ma glad you were able to recover your caribou.
If a bullet goes completely through an animal it has wasted a lot of energy and is also unsafe for possible unseen hunters downrange, or in the case of Caribou herds , wound another animal on the other side of it . I like a bullet to mushroom and stop before exiting the animal and impart 100% of its energy to make a Humane 1 shot kill. I still have bullets recovered from Big Game that did what they were supposed to do. I have done extensive Bullet testing for accuracy and performance over the past 50 years , and just because a bullet has a fancy name does not mean it will work in real life !
Rich

There are.many types of energy, heat, stored, electrical, etc. In a bulletbit "kinetic energy" witch is a math calculation of mass abd velocity.
The idea that kinetic energy transfers is pure BS. Momentum transfers always

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MikeS
The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

I have noticed the exit holes from partitions can be deceiving and there a lot of damage created while the petals fold back prior to the rear portions exit. Since you examined the internal damage though, I'ma glad you were able to recover your caribou.
If a bullet goes completely through an animal it has wasted a lot of energy and is also unsafe for possible unseen hunters downrange, or in the case of Caribou herds , wound another animal on the other side of it . I like a bullet to mushroom and stop before exiting the animal and impart 100% of its energy to make a Humane 1 shot kill. I still have bullets recovered from Big Game that did what they were supposed to do. I have done extensive Bullet testing for accuracy and performance over the past 50 years , and just because a bullet has a fancy name does not mean it will work in real life !
Rich

There are.many types of energy, heat, stored, electrical, etc. In a bulletbit "kinetic energy" witch is a math calculation of mass abd velocity.
The idea that kinetic energy transfers is pure BS. Momentum transfers always
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=Mooseman684][quote=MikeS][quote=Mooseman684]The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

Absolutely…..this! 👍👍👍

We have been mislead by the cartridge manufacturers for many decades about the ft/lbs energy myth.

As I’ve posted several times, for any one interested in learning a bit more about the bullets effect on animals…….here it is again! memtb

https://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/politics.html

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t think moose man is that off base about the wounded animals from pass through ordinances.

In my mind ignoring KE in a kinetic round seems unfounded.

But accuracy limitations due to felt recoil is something all hunters should consider.

Accuracy trumps all.

So I suggest choosing which bullet you shoot most accurately, and the manufacturer of the bullet recommends it for the size of game you are hunting. In my mind the OP has some good choices.

I like Barnes bullets, I also like 200 grain NP s, ever since mule deer pointed out they were ballistically superior to the 180 in the 3006.

The one thing I read here on the campfire was how poorly the 200 grain hot cor did shooting a beef cow shoulder knuckle. ( perhaps I am in error……..I hope so….cuz I got a pile of them)

U might need a double tap for 9 mm and 45 acp to stop a human……..but how about the 44 rem mag?

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/05/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
BCHunter666: Stick with the Nosler Partitions on Elk - I do NOT care how hard they are to find or how expensive they are.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive personally always used Nosler Partitions or Accubonds for my elk hunting. When i've put em where they are supposed to go and they work every time. I've been with others when they have dropped em where they stood at short to long distances with Hornady ELDs and Berger VLDs. Ive also seen some real rodeos start with a poorly placed bullet no matter who made it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Comparing bullets, or cartridges for that matter, if done in a believable way, is more informative where a lot of animals can be taken and observed, with the differences and sameness in range, target animal orientation, reactions, bullet penetration levels, internal damage, state of awareness, reaction after the hit, and anything else you want to add to your measurements is done.

Sometimes you can see a differance between 2 cartridges or 2 bullets that becomes very clear after a days culling on one species but not as clear when comparing other animals of similar size or sub species.

The more culls or kills you do, the more similar the results can seem where nuances and isolated reactions to a particular bullet or cartridge can be accepted as that.

The main thing that I learned from culling is yes, I did see differences between neighboring cartridges, sometimes. But, I also saw brackets of similarities where using more, whatever you want to add, be it caliber, velocity, kinetic energy, bullet design, didn't matter anymore because the reaction, meaning what was starting to be a uniform observation became more uniform or similar until calibers perhaps reached another level.

Most hunters shoot medium sized animals, say under 300 pounds with generally thin skins, light bones and the ability to be taken, not always but often, in an unalarmed state. The results of most anything between a .25/06 and a .338 magnum will perform similarly. I stress, that I am not speaking of single animals and the assumption is, that a bullet of game construction with a velocity over about 2500fps at usual game ranges under 200 yards, and closer if you're honest about it, is used.

There will be exceptions and I have experienced them enough to know they exist but decades ago I learned them to be something more similar to 270's than dissimilar, yet I don't own one, preferring 7mm as my .270.

I hope you notice I am talking calibers mostly, cartridges secondly and bullets lastly. We all know that the bullet is the primary item of concern but the launching pad influences how that bullet is delivered and each caliber offers several or many cartridge case sizes to launch from.

It's a good discussion but it needn't generate conflict of opinion if animal reactions are quoted from an experience then back out, to allow more supporting or discenting experiences to present.

If you remember than some animals may be heavier but still considered characteristically softer or tougher for their weight, it only demonstrates the value in averaging out experiences and keeping the mind open as it may change with the next animal taken and open a whole new train of thought.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
at 70 years of age this will be my 1st and only Plains Game Hunt in Africa and i will be using the simple 30-06 too . here is what i have tried , they shoot excellent ,work well on game and are easy to have sent to you because this company always has their bullets in stock = Hammer Hunters 30 caliber 160 grain bullets , i am tired of trying to find enough other brand bullets that are in stock at a store .i like the convenience of just having bullets sent fast thru the mail ,i live out in the country and the less i have to go to a town or city the better. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
In my 40+ years if elk hunting I have only been succesful 9x. 7 of those were with my pre 64 mdl 70 in 270 win and 150 gr partitions. The other two were with a 30-06 and 180 gr sierra flat base. Next fall will be my last hunt and I'm taking a 30-06, and looking for a bullet it will not be Nosler as they have become rediculously priced not to mention hard to find. So what say you between

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
3. BARNES TTSX (150 OR 168)
OTHERS?

THANKS
Going back to the OP which is important, I have shot some nice under half inch groups with the 168gn TTSX using 60gn of H4350. Velocity is around 2850fps so would be my choice.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by buttstock
Speer 200 grain HotCor.

I think he may have a point Most of my elk have been taken using .35 Whelen but I have used 30 caliber on two elk. The first was that 200 gr. Hot Core mentioned. It was shot from a .300Win. Mag pushing close to 2900 FPS. The elk was lasered at 530 yards and was down with the first shot She kicked a little then expired. I only hunt cow elk as I'm strictly a meat hunter. Bullet was never recovered.

Same result on another cow elk at right around 100 yards with a 30-06. Bullet was the 165 gr. Accubond. Why so light a bullet? The rifle is a custom and has a slower twist that the normal 1 in 10 and refuses to shoot anything heavier that 165 gr. Same as with the 200 gr. bullet, it was not recovered. That elk ran maybe 30 yards before dropping.

What exoerience I've had with the barnes TSX has been rather dismal. The 100 gr. 25 caliber grouped poorly in a .257 Robt. The 120 and q40 gr. TSX 7MM bullets never grouped worth a damn in three 7x57 rifles and a .280 Rem. I've never tried them in any 30 Caliber.

On the other hand, the 225 gr. TSX has been a superbly accurate bullet in my .35 Whelen and has accounted for six elk, all one shot kills with most down DRT. None ran more than ten or so feet.

I have other rifles in 30-06. A couple of Remington M700s, A classic and a BDL. Both shoot the 180 gr.Hornady SP Interlock into just about an inch. I do push the load some and get about 2820 FPS on average. Either rifle with that load would put a serious hurt on any elk that got in front of that bullet.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
168 Ttsx in front of big game.
I think I'm around 2950fps. I'd have to look
Here is couple shots at a gong at 420 yards. Leupold 3.5-10 CDS whistle
Yeah I know it's only 2 shots. Not 3 or 5. Didn't feel the need to ruin that .
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dre; 03/08/24.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by pointer
If you like how the Partitions work, I'd not let the price of a few boxes of ammo/bullets deter me for a last hunt. Of those you listed, I'd be looking at the Barnes offerings.
I agree 100%. Of all the money we spend on hunting, bullets are one of the lowest costs we face. No matter how expensive they are.

I prefer 150 gr. Barnes TTSX in my 30-06 and 139 gr. Hornady CX in my 7mm-08. I don't mind paying a bit for the accuracy and terminal performance I want.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In my 40+ years if elk hunting I have only been succesful 9x. 7 of those were with my pre 64 mdl 70 in 270 win and 150 gr partitions. The other two were with a 30-06 and 180 gr sierra flat base. Next fall will be my last hunt and I'm taking a 30-06, and looking for a bullet it will not be Nosler as they have become rediculously priced not to mention hard to find. So what say you between

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
OTHERS?

THANKS

Bullet price is the least of your worries. Looking at Midway, the 168 grain X is $47/50 and the 180 grain partitions are $80/50. I'm not making my choice based on saving $33 for 50 bullets for the last elk hunt of my life.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

1. HORNADY ELDX
2. SPEER IMPACT
OTHERS?

THANKS
If its going to be your last hunt why not go with something your rifle likes even if it is Nosler, if it does like Nosler which ones?

S
S
Barnes 168 TTSX hands down. I'm Barnes prejudiced after shooting their #3 manual data and daily function tests for 5 years. I've shot, and taken all of my animals with Barnes Bullets since 1991, worked there 2000-2005. Killed deer and elk with everything from 223 Rem-375Wby. Majority of kills were 280Rem and 140gr Barnes TSX, TTSX. Good hunting!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.