Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool illustration Sycamore.

Pretty much as I know it. Didn't know the All American actually gets more water than the Aqueduct, I would have expected the same or perhaps a little more going to SoCal.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado River aqueduct is for drinking water mostly, the All American aqueduct is for agriculture (need a lot more)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

Cool diagram Syc

This was my Dispersed camping campsite BLM at 8200 ft above Flaming Gorge in July.

Thought I was short of breath from the elevation but it was undiagnosed radiation pneumonitis from cancer trtnents. Silly me.

Anyway

Nice geography stayed 3 days rolled on. Free ranging cattle were our only other guests.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Colorado River aqueduct is for drinking water mostly, the All American aqueduct is for agriculture (need a lot more)
I'll say, growing lettuce in the desert will do that.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

Cool diagram Syc

This was my Dispersed camping campsite BLM at 8200 ft above Flaming Gorge in July.

Thought I was short of breath from the elevation but it was undiagnosed radiation pneumonitis from cancer trtnents. Silly me.

Anyway

Nice geography stayed 3 days rolled on. Free ranging cattle were our only other guests.

WTH?

How'd you manage that, you're wabi's puppet.

In it is contentment

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I look down on “The Mighty Colorado” from my backyard. It’s not so mighty here just before the Gunnison dumps into it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Do I get a star?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
80 families use most of the water for growing Alfalfa hay they ship to Saudi Arabia. I say let them eat oil.

Wake up to this!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the largest ecological disasters of the 20th century

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

Cool diagram Syc

Anyway

Slumlord,

that's a beauty!

I always choose a spot with a view when I can. May get a little breezy, but worth it, to me.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent 30 yrs working on Lower Colorado River water projects. Started living at Parker Dam in 84 working Central Az Proj. Plants. Then went on to Waddell Dam/Lake Pleasant pump/gen plant construction/startup/operations. First plant on lake Havasu has 6 - 60000 HP single stage Francis turbine pumps lifts water over 800’ on first lift pumping over 3000cfs.
US Bureau of Reclamation built a huge desalination plant by Yuma about the same time, was a huge failure. That was part of the treaty to provide Mexico with a share of useable water.
California who had less runnoff into CO river get most the water all through politics that started many many years ago.

Last edited by AZmark; 03/02/24.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we lived up on the Colorado, at Parker, AZ in the early 60s, the river was simply taken for granted as a wonderful supply of water for ag and living, and for recreational boating and great fishing. This was before the Lake Havasu development had begun, but the local farming and the larger scale ag operations lower in AZ in the Wellton/Mohawk District and the Yuma area were in full play. Water was a given. We all enjoyed the running Colorado sans souci.

However, even back then, the CA water grabbers were at work - and Las Vegas was starting to grow - and knowledgeable worry-warts were uttering warnings about the eventualities. The Central AZ Project was soon under design/construction and, as it crept down its eventual path across AZ to the two bigger cities, those warnings resounded in one's head.

Now - the full issue has fully arrived.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
When we lived up on the Colorado, at Parker, AZ in the early 60s, the river was simply taken for granted as a wonderful supply of water for ag and living, and for recreational boating and great fishing. This was before the Lake Havasu development had begun, but the local farming and the larger scale ag operations lower in AZ in the Wellton/Mohawk District and the Yuma area were in full play. Water was a given. We all enjoyed the running Colorado sans souci.

However, even back then, the CA water grabbers were at work - and Las Vegas was starting to grow - and knowledgeable worry-warts were uttering warnings about the eventualities. The Central AZ Project was soon under design/construction and, as it crept down its eventual path across AZ to the two bigger cities, those warnings resounded in one's head.

Now - the full issue has fully arrived.

Yeah...............that whole Parker area is a dive.

At least the CAP allowed AZ to take its full allotment of water that CA had been using for years since AZ had no means to take it. CAP even put in ground water recharge projects so they could take water that was/is unused by AZ. This stopped CA from taking it any longer which lessened their chances to claim it permanently. The downside to this was AZ now had water for population expansion and quickly is turning into another CA.

I lived at Parker Dam Govt housing then when they first opened the flood gates which hadn't been used except for operational exercising since the dam was commissioned in 1938 after the 83 flooding. It was nasty smelling mist that rose up in the air and settled at the housing project depending on wind direction. Typically the full river flow is released through the turbines.

Last edited by AZmark; 03/02/24.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I don't know if it's still this way, but the US had to construct a desalination plant to treat the river water before it flowed those few miles through Mexico into the Gulf of California. I believe some treaty mandated that...and it was not cheap, either. Pretty stupid.

it's complicated, nearly unbelievable, and fair.

I can explain it if you would like.

If I want more info, I'll go get it. F uck YOU and all the miserable leftist demokunts like you.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was a boy many years ago my Grandfather and me would fish the Colorado River between Glenwood Springs and Silt, or at the bridge at Rifle, My grandfather told me, this water will be worth more than Gold in the future. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the time it gets to the Sea of Cortez its a trickle. CA and AZ not only use a lot of its water but they usually slow down its flow to Mexico after the growing season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 60s, the "community" called Parker Dam was an employee housing setup for the Metropolitan Water District (California) on the CA side of the river at the dam. The kids from there came to school in Parker. They had a full time doctor up there on the AZ side of the river and, sometimes by special arrangement, we could see him for certain med needs/treatments.

From below that dam all the way to the dam in Parker, the locals had named that fairly still water Lake Moovalya, and many water resorts (motel plus docks/boats plus bar) operated along the AZ side. There were quite a few water events during the year but, by far, the biggest was the 24 hour enduro race for several classes of boats. Hundreds of racing boats and associated crowds (mostly from CA coastal places) jammed into the area for a loooong weekend. It was akin to a nightmare, but the racing stuff was fun.

As a budding gearhead, I got to see and learn about the various power and drive setups. The most impressive were the unlimited setups driven by big Allison. Rolls Royce, etc. aircraft engines. Interesting days. I have wondered if that stuff still goes on.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My last peek at the Colorado

Last week

Flowing freely to all the greedy water users south of Utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.