Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys this has been an informative thread for me! I see most of my shooting being with 140-160gr projectiles (maybe the occational 120gr) so it would seem 1:9.5 or 1:10 would be about perfect. I am looking at a Krieger barrel, I don't know if that would make a difference.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just bought a Kreiger for a Brno 21H action I have kicking around, just need a Recknagel safety and an Edge stock and Recknagel irons and I will have it put together.

The twist is 1-9.5 which I think proper for 160 NPs, my favoured bullet in .280Rem., which is also my favourite standard round. I hope to do 2850 with a 23" tube and am curious as to loads with Ramshot powders if anyone has tried these.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MarkG, it will make a difference by purchasing a Krieger. You will get the EXACT twist as ordered. The button made barrels are not as accurate on the twist rate as a cut rifle barrel. I`d get a 10" twist and not look back.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tim: Just idly curious, but I'd be interested in the effects of a slower twist on pressures.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The faster twist builds pressure faster when developing loads. The faster twist is more restrictive by nature to move the bullet out the bore.

The slower the twist you can use will allow maximum velocities at lower pressure with the less restrictive twist.

Use enough twist, not a 1 size fits all.

With your theory, all makers shoud just simply run their barrels a 1 in 8" and life is just much more simple.

It just ain`t like that.

Faster is better?

IC B2

M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Tim, 1:10" it is then! I was having trouble making my mind up. lol
Anyone see any problems with the Krieger #1 contour (light sporter) 23"??? I would like to shave a few ounces there.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

There are two main factors in determining optimum or the slowest twist rate that will stabilize a bullet.

The most important is the length of the bullet-- the longer the bullet the faster it needs to be turned.

The second factor and of less concern-- the faster the bullet travels (read velocity) the slower it needs to turn.

An example of the higher velocity requiring less twist is weatherby. They at least in the past had slower twists in their Wea Mags than others had in the stsndards of the same caliber.

All that said for a 280 go with 9"-9.5" or 10" if shooting bullet of 160 gr. cup and core length or less.

8mmwapiti

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, Tim. Guess I'd better ditch all those 9 twist 7mm's I've been using for 25 years. In hindsight, I guess they did not work too well! smile

I have never seen the pressure issue substantiated. I thought you had a real answer based on a study or something...my mistake.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess common sence is to natural for some of us, where book sence applies to the rest.

I wouldn`t ditch them, just shoot the heavy monolithics and 175 lead cores and think you are doing something.

Mistakes can be corrected, after the thought process takes hold, just don`t wait another 25 years.........

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My .280 Rem. barrel from Pac-Nor is 1-9. Handles 140 gr. bullets very well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never read a scientific study on the issue but have come across it a number of times over the years.

It is interesting subject, to me anyway, and probably makes about as much difference as everything else we talk about.

Enough to find but not enough to overcome exceptions. Pissing matches follow...

If pressure is increased, and I think that is a reasonable result of a faster twist, it may result in more velocity per given load, masking the velocity advantage that the slower twist might give you. But I imagine bore diameters would have to be identical to make the comparison--good luck with that--and assuming there is a reliable way of measuring pressure outside a lab....

So then a guy with a slower twist might need a bit more powder to bring a rifle up, all other things being equal, and that load might cause a whole lot of whining should it be quoted. Or worse, he could be shooting 280 factory loads in a slower twisted, slightly oversized barrel...:)

Last edited by tomk; 01/13/08.

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So, Tim....tell us all what you know that Nosler doesn't.... smile?

I'm all ears.....while you're at it, check out Steve Timm's post regarding rotational velocity in the Hornady bullet thread under "Africa". And what's the scoop on higher pressures with faster twists?
I kinda suspected your position rested more on "monkey-see, monkey do" than any real experience in the matter..Oh, by the way, I haven't fired a 175 gr in years... but I can, if I want...

In case you haven't checked it out in quite a while,except for maybe some benchrest shooting, "slow twist for light bullets" went out of fashion about 2 decades ago.

Pm me if you have anything enlightening; this is boring....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Its plain easier to tell you what you don`t know. I don`t read about Africa, cause I ain`t ever going there. I`m not someone who reads magazines, and then proclaims myself as a professional in any repect, but I can imagine your straw basket beside the crapper is overflowing.
I conservatively have 25 custom barrels in various contours and twists, so my comments are from experience, not hearsay from what someone else had to say on the subject.
You and I have butted heads before and you are just still mad about being me twisting your panties last time.
Get over it.
I deal with hall of fame smiths, and the finest barrel makers in the country.
Go piss up another rope. You are wasting my time.

MarkG, sorry this loser has caused a perfectly good thread to be dragged into the toilet next to Bobs basket full of reading material.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I dont know if this will add anything but I will relate my experiece in hopes that it will contribute. I have/ have had three winchester featherweights all had a 10 inch twist. The first would shoot 140s exceedingly well, but anything else just mediocre. The second, which I still have, would shoot anything well and fast. The third which I have just started to experiment with, seems just like the first ie 140s only. I have also had two remingtons. They were both 9.25 twists and I am surpprised that remington now lists a 10 inch twist. Anyway both the 9.25 twist were very easy to find a good load for in any weight. My first remington would shoot 139s, 160 and 175 into a two inch combined group at 200 yards.

My conclusion is that the faster twist ie 9.25 is more likely to give you excellent results than a 10 inch twist which for me was hit or miss. Hopes this helps.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tim - I have a .284 Rock barrel and was wanting to build a fast 7mm of some sorts. It's a 8.75 twist and I was planing on using 150gr. BST's for hunting with it. My question: will this barrel stabilize the 150's? To fast a twist for this light of bullet? Thanks, - Jim

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It will certainly stabilize them. I would not have picked that twist for that bullet, but it will work.

The very long 180 grain Berger/JLK comes to mind, with that twist rate. Try some of those in there.

I like to match bullets to twists, like the 300 Saum Sendero has a 10" twist, I shoot 210 bullets. The 223 has a 12" twist, I shoot 60`s.

When building, I match twists to bullets I plan on for the rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had several 11 twist barrels in 7mm (7STW, 7RM and 7-08s). I've also had a number of 9 twists (or 9.25) in the same.

My take is the 11 twists shoot the lighter bullets really well in the faster 7mm (mags) and the 9 twist is fine for a broader range of bullets in the slower 7s.

Big Stick use to dote on the fast twists, but look where he did most of his LR shooting - almost sea level, in heavy dense air.

The military snipers shoot under more conditions (and elevations) than anyone else and they match their twists to their bullets. They don't always use the fastest twists.

One can lean on the faster twists if their cartridge is slower, the faster stepping 7mms require less twist obviously.

I would not hesitate to go 10 twist in a 280, the 10 twist is what Dogzapper recommended a few years ago for the 280AI and he used to go with the 11 twists.

Go 10 twist.........

MtnHtr

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My 280 Ackley is an 11 twist. It does just fine. I mainly shoot 120's and 140's and have no desire to shoot the heavies, but I have shot some 150 ballistic tips and it lays them right in there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just bet it does.........

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm no expert, but it's been my experience that over-stabilized bullets are more inclined to be accurate than under-stabilized. It matters not a whit to me what someone else uses. Some folks use marginally slow twists for the purpose of extracting every last bit of muzzle velocity. For my purposes, 100 or even 200 f.p.s. means absolutely nothing in the field. Thus I tell folks to use whatever they want. It's their rifle and their money.

Truly I am surprised that no one has bothered to look up Speer #8 and offer some concrete evidence. I would myself, but my Speer manual is 1000 mi from me at the moment. frown

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.