Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Bought a rifle and has a lot of excess oil in the inletted part of the stock. I wiped everything out I could with a rag. Seems to be pretty fresh/recent. My question is there anything I can use beyond paper towels to soak it up out of the wood before it becomes a bigger problem. Also want to make sure whatever I use won’t damage the original stock finish.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Acetone

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
That won’t damage the finish??

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldg397

I'm not exactly talking about hosing the stock down with it......but you did say get it out of the wood. If the oil is soaked into the wood, acetone is the quickest way to get it out.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ldg397

There's a good chance the oil has soaked deep enough into the wood that you would need to soak the stock in acetone to get it all out. That will ruin your finish.

I would suggest rigging the stock on a slight angle over a heat source and letting it drip dry. It's just a WAG but it might help leach the oil out.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can also try Brownell's whiting compound. Mix it with acetone to the consistency of pancake batter. Maybe a more controlled process if you're worried about the finish.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wait, let's back up.

1) Is the wood "raw" inside the inlet, as in no finish applied inside the inlet? Where excess oil would soak deep into the wood?

2) Or, has finish been applied to the inlet and the oil is just on the surface and not soaked in?

1....you'll need the help of acetone and/or whiting compound.

2....you can probably just whipe out as much as possible with paper towels and then swab it down with rubbing alcohol (or even dawn dish soapy water) which won't likely harm your finish.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tape off the outside finish areas and use spray brake cleaner carefully on the inletted areas to degrease , or warm water and simple green in a spray bottle and float out the oil and crud on urethaned stocks. Spray brake cleaner works great for degreasing an old stock crack for repair.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Heat gun and acetone

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I wiped all the excess out with a paper towel and haven’ t been able to work on it for a couple days. When I went back to it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Instead of everything being dark at the rear action screw it is clear there is finish in the inlet and the oil is on top of that and is a lot more spotty than I originally thought. I will try some heat and see how it goes and worst case a toothbrush with one solvents above should take care of it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Heat gun and acetone

I was thinking heat gun as well. You guys suggesting acetone sounds like a good trick too. I know that a heat gun will draw moisture out, and on a real hot day, I've seen some guns that were packed in cosmoline (like old military rifles) weep out oil from the stock. Especially if you are shooting them a lot, and the heat of the barrel just boils out the oil in the stock.. Not me, but a buddy that is hard on his rifles, did that once.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tape off exterior. I’d wrap the tape slightly around into the inletting too. Use Brownholes Whiting Powder to make a paste with Acetone. Paint on carefully and it’ll pull it out.

I’ve only done this on fully stripped stocks, but if I were to do this to preserve the exterior finish, this is what I’d do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with opening the hole(s) in the finish down in the bedding to allow the acetone/whiting slurry to work faster; as long as you skim coat bed with epoxy after.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would lacquer thinner before I would use the acetone. They both will penetrate the same, but the acetone will eat up stock finishes more quickly and severely than LT.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have found Laquer thinner to be hotter Than acetone myself

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
90% rubbing alcohol will do less damage than either lacquer thinner or acetone. Use a microfiber towel and soak it with alcohol, and give the bedded area a good scrubbing, then use a hair dryer to evaporate the alky. Repeat as necessary.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I also use whiting and 90% alcohol. It doesn't evaporate as quickly as acetone and isn't as likely to damage the finish.
I normally put under a desk lamp with a high watt bulb.

SDH

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For removal of the grease used to pack old mitary surplus, I have used cat litter, wrapped the stock in brown paper, and laid it on the dash of a car in the sun.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Read the label or MSDS for lacquer thinner. I'll bet is is mostly acetone.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Get the left over oil out using powdered white chalk. Go to a craft store get a box of white writing chalk and use a large flat bastard file, cut a good pile of chalk dust, Put the end of the stock in a plastic bag, pour the chalk over the top of the effected area, submerged in chalk, put a rubber band around the bag, let the chalk covered wood set, end down for 24 hours. The oil will be aubsorbed, if any is left, set it outside in the sun, in a black plastic bag. Sun is a cheap oven.

Last edited by Rapier; 03/06/24.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.