V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Food plots have never been a factor in my turkey woods. I have hunted thousands of acres of National Forest for my 35 year Turkey hunting career and have been blessed with great turkey populations for decades, i would average hearing 6 or 8 gobblers on any given Spring morning with turkey sign easily found nearly everywhere but for the last two Springs I can walk those same beautiful ridges for miles and never hear a single gobble and find zero turkey sign....I think several factors are contributing to this massive decline of the turkey population in my area but my guess is a killer avian flu (which i have read several articles about) is the main culprit and im sure nest robbers have also took their toll.....Hb
I am down to hearing 6-8 gobblers a morning right now.

15 years ago it was no problem to have 15+ birds within hearing distance. In the late 90s a piece we used to hunt had so many birds you would have to decide which bird to go to.

In fact the piece we hunted from the mid/late 80s until late 90s would have several hundred if not close to 1000 acres burn every year, farmers burn to provide browse for longhorns. That makes me wonder if there is something to this prescribed burning bit.
Wow! 15+ gobblers on any given morning? You were truely blessed to experience that đź‘Ť.....Hb
Thousands of acres at our disposal at that time. Some may have been well over a mile away but up on those Ozark mountains you could hear a very long ways.
oh yes, that sounds a whole lot like the ridges of my Appalachians, you can hear a gobbler from a looong way off....Hb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Me and my neighbor friend own 700 acres. We’ve taken over 100 egg eaters off our property the last 2 winters. We’ve had a forestry mulcher reclaim about 50 acres of creek bottom that was overgrown - great for deer, but terrible for turkey. We’ve burned about another 60 acres (some of it twice and we were really limited by wet weather this winter) and we’ve quit mowing our roads, fields and food plots before June 1. And more of this type of work to come this summer/fall/winter. It’s making a difference for sure. We went from turkey everywhere 10 years ago to a dwindling population recently. Then this year we have quickly gone back to the old days. I think I heard 6-8 different gobblers Sunday morning
What didn't you care about as far as turkeys and the landscape mulcher?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is what 99% of my 20 acres of timber looked like when I bought it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Going back with the rotary about 6 months after the initial landscape mulching that was done in late March early April.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/25/23.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Me and my neighbor friend own 700 acres. We’ve taken over 100 egg eaters off our property the last 2 winters. We’ve had a forestry mulcher reclaim about 50 acres of creek bottom that was overgrown - great for deer, but terrible for turkey. We’ve burned about another 60 acres (some of it twice and we were really limited by wet weather this winter) and we’ve quit mowing our roads, fields and food plots before June 1. And more of this type of work to come this summer/fall/winter. It’s making a difference for sure. We went from turkey everywhere 10 years ago to a dwindling population recently. Then this year we have quickly gone back to the old days. I think I heard 6-8 different gobblers Sunday morning

Poor choice of words on my part. Prior to the mulching the turkey wouldn’t use it - too thick. The first longbeard I shot this year was smack in the middle of a 30 acre place we reclaimed and opened up by mulching everything smaller than my leg. It has made a huge positive difference on the turkey. Will be doing more mulching and some herbicide work this summer

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Poor choice of words on my part. Prior to the mulching the turkey wouldn’t use it - too thick. The first longbeard I shot this year was smack in the middle of a 30 acre place we reclaimed and opened up by mulching everything smaller than my leg. It has made a huge positive difference on the turkey. Will be doing more mulching and some herbicide work this summer

Got it. Have you actually seen an increase in deer activity in that area? Been watching Land and Legacy on YT. Those guys are making bedding areas in timber and it is improving cover plus adding browse.

Your sitiuation sounds like my place. Couldn't see 50' so I cut some paths 12-14' wide then just branched of of those with short runs.

Connected some of those with cross paths. 3 of us used the machine and split the cost. I would like to rent one again and spend a few more days on it. Talk about a mess though. Hopefully a lot of that will burn up in a burn next year.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/25/23.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

One view of a N/S path. Turns back west at each end. Horseshoe shape with 3 paths crossing in about a 150 yard stretch.

I did find a gobbler track in this path Friday morning, first turkey track I have seen in this particular section in the year I have owned the place.

Probably do some more chainsaw work and start opening the canopy up. Get rid of cedars, hickory and Hedge/Osage orange.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Deer action is lower after mulching. Deer prefer thickets. Turkey prefer open ground. Where my farm is deer will be there no matter what. All of my land and habitat management is now geared to turkey

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Deer action is lower after mulching. Deer prefer thickets. Turkey prefer open ground. Where my farm is deer will be there no matter what. All of my land and habitat management is now geared to turkey
Exactly where I am and what I am doing.

Deer bed on neighbors to the North and neighbors to the East.

They cross my place to get to crop ground that is to the SW.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

One view of a N/S path. Turns back west at each end. Horseshoe shape with 3 paths crossing in about a 150 yard stretch.

I did find a gobbler track in this path Friday morning, first turkey track I have seen in this particular section in the year I have owned the place.

Probably do some more chainsaw work and start opening the canopy up. Get rid of cedars, hickory and Hedge/Osage orange.

Stock up on the Pathway for stump treatment!!! I've probably went through 5 gallons of it treating stumps on the cedars I've cut off my place. And I ain't even scratched the surface. Some of these cedars are so old they're up to 18" diameter.

Weather is getting about right for me to hook up the brush cutter and skidsteer to make some more trails.

He went over yonder way
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heeler

Stock up on the Pathway for stump treatment!!! I've probably went through 5 gallons of it treating stumps on the cedars I've cut off my place. And I ain't even scratched the surface. Some of these cedars are so old they're up to 18" diameter.

Weather is getting about right for me to hook up the brush cutter and skidsteer to make some more trails.
👍🏻👍🏻

I haven't had issues w cedars wanting to come back. The ones I used the mulcher on were ground off at or slightly below ground level and chain sawed trees were at or very close to flush. Oaks tried to restrict over the spring/summer last year but they were chopped off again with the rotary in early fall.

See what those do this summer.

Looking at different herbicides for the different types if trees.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/26/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw turkeys yesterday on the Yorktown Battlefields. I've pretty much lived here my whole life and have never seen turkeys on the battlefields. Ever. I've seen them way up the road in the Historical Park near Jamestown. But never here. Right near the high school. There's no reason they shouldn't be on the battlefields. I've just never seen them there. I was driving though a back road in the pouring rain yesterday afternoon and saw a tom with a long beard on the side of the road. I got up close and he just sort of walked off into the woods. There was another in the woods further in front of him but didn't get a good look at it. Can't hunt there. But it's nice to see birds where I've never seen them before.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Trying to get a link from MDC on harvest numbers to attach. Having issues.

Some interesting numbers from the last 8 years in Missouri. Just 2015 and 2018 are the 2 I looked at. Approximately 10k less birds harvested in 2018 than 2015.

I am trying to find some numbers from mid/late 90s through 2010 or so.

Have this same discussion going on over at ultimatepheasanthunting.

Pulled these numbers from that discussion

Missouri harvested 34,595 inn 2022. Missouri used to harvest around 50,000 (2005 ish)

Kansas harvested 13,488 in 2022. Kansas used to harvest around 35,000 each year. (2005 ish). Kansas will have a hard time reaching 10,000 this year.

2006 Arkansas was around 20k birds, last year was 8k.

Here is a pretty good podcast (BearGrease Podcast, episode 48) talking about the declines across the southeastern US.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen...n-turkeys-part-1-will-primos-and-dr-mike

IN THIS EPISODE
On this episode, we’re contrasting two eras of turkey hunting with Will Primos and Dr. Mike Chamberlain of the University of Georgia. Turkey populations peaked in modern times in the late 1990s, and with it, the innovation of call makers and outdoor media groups skyrocketed, forging the turkey hunting culture of the nation. Mr. Will Primos stood on the forefront of that innovation and he taught us how to call and hunt. However, recent decades have yielded dramatically decreasing turkey populations in much of the Southeastern United States. Dr. Chamberlain will detail the five biggest culprits of the decline and make some projections for the future.

Pretty much, don't ever put your love into a ground nesting bird. Everything is trying to kill them. Mother nature and her weather, predators, man with his changed land use, etc, etc, etc. Arkansas state biologist is on there talking about prescribed burns. How the big forests look like great habitat, but they're realistically a dessert with nothing the birds like. Then they try and do a burn and the area keyboard biologists throw a fit that they're killing all the animals and taking their homes away....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
We’ve seen a dramatic decline on our place. Twenty years ago, we might see dozens on a morning during deer season. Less than ten years ago I almost always saw a flock or two. I might have seen a dozen total over the last five years or so but probably saw half of those this last year. So maybe they are coming back a little.

We have enough land to hold turkeys on it and we haven’t done anything different. Habitat is the same. We’ve had all the same predators. Nobody has trapped coons or other predators since the 80s. Had coyotes forever. Maybe more hogs now, but those fluctuate too. And the turkeys weren’t hunted much if at all most years.

I lean towards natural fluctuations or maybe the populations got so high that disease went through them and crashed them. We’ve lost a lot of turkeys and about four of the five things he mentioned don’t really apply to us.

Last edited by JoeBob; 05/01/23.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Trying to get a link from MDC on harvest numbers to attach. Having issues.

Some interesting numbers from the last 8 years in Missouri. Just 2015 and 2018 are the 2 I looked at. Approximately 10k less birds harvested in 2018 than 2015.

I am trying to find some numbers from mid/late 90s through 2010 or so.

Have this same discussion going on over at ultimatepheasanthunting.

Pulled these numbers from that discussion

Missouri harvested 34,595 inn 2022. Missouri used to harvest around 50,000 (2005 ish)

Kansas harvested 13,488 in 2022. Kansas used to harvest around 35,000 each year. (2005 ish). Kansas will have a hard time reaching 10,000 this year.

2006 Arkansas was around 20k birds, last year was 8k.

Here is a pretty good podcast (BearGrease Podcast, episode 48) talking about the declines across the southeastern US.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen...n-turkeys-part-1-will-primos-and-dr-mike

IN THIS EPISODE
On this episode, we’re contrasting two eras of turkey hunting with Will Primos and Dr. Mike Chamberlain of the University of Georgia. Turkey populations peaked in modern times in the late 1990s, and with it, the innovation of call makers and outdoor media groups skyrocketed, forging the turkey hunting culture of the nation. Mr. Will Primos stood on the forefront of that innovation and he taught us how to call and hunt. However, recent decades have yielded dramatically decreasing turkey populations in much of the Southeastern United States. Dr. Chamberlain will detail the five biggest culprits of the decline and make some projections for the future.

Pretty much, don't ever put your love into a ground nesting bird. Everything is trying to kill them. Mother nature and her weather, predators, man with his changed land use, etc, etc, etc. Arkansas state biologist is on there talking about prescribed burns. How the big forests look like great habitat, but they're realistically a dessert with nothing the birds like. Then they try and do a burn and the area keyboard biologists throw a fit that they're killing all the animals and taking their homes away....
The areas I burned in March I believe have dropping, feathers and tracks in them. Found 1 dusting spot the other day.

I have only had this piece for a year but up until last week I had only seen 1 hen track and 1 gobbler track a year ago. Have ran 2 hens off of nests and watched a hen fly out one morning on the first weekend.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/01/23.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
This is so spot on. Indiana is having a declining population because of all the nest raiders aren’t hunted or trapped. The stupid dnr also released bobcats back in the early 2000’s they’re finally pushing a bill to create a season for them but the animal rights retards are fighting it tooth and nail.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The bill for a Bobcat season is on the governors desk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aviator
The bill for a Bobcat season is on the governors desk.
Do you know if it includes hunting and trapping? It's a good move IMO! Wish they'd also open up a spring season for squirrels and a season for sandhill cranes.

Where I hunt, cover isn't much oof a problem, but I do think predators, especially nest, are. So much focus on deer habitat, that does not always benefit turkeys. Would like to see more clear cutting/agressive timber harvests.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 48 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,666
Posts18,474,725
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.