Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're talking about this Eric Cortina right:

Who says at about the 6 minute mark don't worry about groups till you get your ES and SD down?

"When I'm doing powder charges, I don't even shoot at paper, I'm trying to get my loads as consistent as possible, and that's over a chronograph."

That guy?

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
You're talking about this Eric Cortina right:

Who says at about the 6 minute mark don't worry about groups till you get your ES and SD down?

"When I'm doing powder charges, I don't even shoot at paper, I'm trying to get my loads as consistent as possible, and that's over a chronograph."

That guy?
Down to what? Reasonable is the answer not single digit is the end all be all. Jesus man dont put words in my mouth, listen to a bunch of his podcasts of different people he interviews not 1 sentence.
Did he put a number on it? NO.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/02/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not 1 person I have mentioned and I know there's more who have ever said you have to have a single digit E.S. to be competive or shoot small, if they have post it here.
Have you ever been to a 1,000 yard match? Shot with some successful 1,000 shooter? or just read about it

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/02/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since some are to lazy to do there own research ill give you some examples on to look at on accurateshooter.
Look at the 6BRA load data thread at post #786 page 40 and page 37 post #37.
Look at the main page at the Aluminum Nuevo in a low profile LRB on paige 11 post #12 and come back and post your arguments at the results.
One other shooter I forgot to mention is Glenn Kulzer who set 8 IBS 1,000 yard records in 2021. I guess all these I mentioned don't know [bleep]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If that isn't enough for you Google positive compensation shooting and read the thread on accurate shooter.
The late Stan Taylor talks of a 3.7" group he shot at 1,000 yard match that had an E.S. of 29. Theres lots of examples out there that reasonable double digit E.S will shoot small at 1,000.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think single digit SD's, over a long term basis with a large sample size, with hunting guns, bullets, brass & powder, is a realistic expectation.

Somebody, anybody, put up some 100 shot strings & prove me wrong.

Always willing to learn.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It doesn't take many rounds downrange,to illustrate the perils of increased ES/SD on Long Range vertical dispersion. That whether Rimfire or Centerfire. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Not 1 person I have mentioned and I know there's more who have ever said you have to have a single digit E.S. to be competive or shoot small, if they have post it here.
Have you ever been to a 1,000 yard match? Shot with some successful 1,000 shooter? or just read about it
If that isn't enough for you Google positive compensation shooting and read the thread on accurate shooter.
The late Stan Taylor talks of a 3.7" group he shot at 1,000 yard match that had an E.S. of 29. Theres lots of examples out there that reasonable double digit E.S will shoot small at 1,000.
Where is anyone here saying you need single-digit ES? Single-digit SD, maybe, but SD is very different from ES. In a Gaussian distribution, SD is approximately 1/6th of ES.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Where is anyone here saying you need single-digit ES? Single-digit SD, maybe, but SD is very different from ES. In a Gaussian distribution, SD is approximately 1/6th of ES.
And does E.S and S.D go hand in hand? The higher the E.S the higher the S.D? Or visa versa?
Go back a little and read post were E.S and S.D were " indicators, of What?
This thread started out about " obsession" correct?
How many obsess over single digit E.S. runout, annealing? Etc I know record holders that I mentioned that dont do or worry about any of that me included which I'm just a hick LR hunting gun looney that shoots no competition just alot. Only annealing I do is on my small 17 and 20 cal stuff because they get the crap shot out of them and I want the brass to last as long as possible because I have to make it not because of accuracy my LR hunting stuff never sees annealing and I've got a dozen reloads on alot of it.
I really don't care wether you believe what I say or do I know for a fact it works and theres plenty of proof out there that it does and targets, records and matches ya just gotta look and be willing to admit it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every single Competitive shooter i know preps there brass 90% and reloads same way they do there 1,000 yard BR guns it does translate over whether you believe it or not.
Like I've said if you never shoot mostly past 100-300 the results don't show up very little. It will to some degree at 300 but very little at 100 some things more than others.
Why do you think 99% use Lapua, ADG brass, Berger or custom bullets? there is a reason.
Listen to some of these guys talk about how 5 years ago what they shot in the top 5 will be in the bottom 5 today, there's always room for improvement you just gotta be willing and open your mind up what you were doing 5 years ago isn't as good as you were doing.
Arguing about the use of components is an excuse like I posted above questions and seeking help is free.

When I shot F-Class ten or twelve years ago, the scores I was winning with are mid-pack or lower today. It has certainly changed a lot.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll just throw out another couple for old sherm 61 to stew on:

This article shares all the details of how a two-time Precision Rifle Series (PRS) champion loads his match ammo – from what equipment he uses to the individual steps and order of his process. First, let me introduce Austin Orgain: Austin was the PRS Overall Season Champion in both 2020 and 2021, and has the highest total accumulated PRS points over the past 7 years. He was also the 2017 National Rifle League (NRL) Season Champion and won the 2020 AG Cup. If you had to name one guy that has consistently dominated precision rifle shooting over the past 5-7 years – that would be Austin Orgain.

6mm Dasher Load Data
Bullet: Hornady 6mm 110 gr. A-Tip
Powder: 31.7 gr. Hodgdon Varget
Brass: Alpha 6 Dasher SRP (Small Rifle Primer)
Primer: Federal 205 Small Rifle Primers (yes, the 205 – not the 205M)
Muzzle Velocity from 26-inch Barrel: 2,870 fps
Variation in Muzzle Velocity: SD = 3-4 fps, ES = 15 fps (that is over a string of 7-8 shots and represents extreme consistency shot-to-shot.

25×47 Load Data
Bullet: Hornady 25-caliber 134 gr. ELD-M
Powder: 38.1 gr of Hodgdon H4350
Brass: Lapua 6.5×47 brass necked down to 25-caliber
Primer: MostlyFederal 205 Small Rifle Primers (yes, the 205 – not the 205M), but he also occasionally uses CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primers for cases like the Creedmoor and x47 Lapua.
Muzzle Velocity from 26-inch Barrel: 2,740 fps (View Austin’s complete rifle details)
Variation in Muzzle Velocity: SD = 5-6 fps, ES = 25 fps over 7-8 shot string

25 GT Load Data
Bullet: Hornady 25-caliber 134 gr. ELD-M
Powder: 37.0 gr Hodgdon H4350
Brass: Alpha 6 GT SRP brass necked up to 25-caliber
Primer: Federal 205 Small Rifle Primers (yes, the 205 – not the 205M)
Muzzle Velocity from 26-inch Barrel: 2,700-2,715 fps (View Austin’s complete rifle details)
Variation in Muzzle Velocity: SD = 5-6 fps, ES = 25 fps over 7-8 shot string

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2023/11/10/a-2-time-prs-champ-reloading-setup-process-austin-orgain/

and another:

This is Part 3 of the spotlight on Austin Buschman, the reigning Precision Rifle Series Season Champion & IPRF World Champion. He’s currently tied for 1st in the 2023 PRS season rankings (

Ammo Performance
I asked Austin about the performance of this ammo in his match rifle in terms of group size and shot-to-shot muzzle velocity variation. Those are things that many of us precision shooters can obsess over, but Austin seemed to avoid getting tangled up in – which was very interesting.

Typical 5-Shot Group Size: 0.3-0.4 MOA. When I asked what his typical 5-shot group size was with this rifle, here was his response: “Are you talking about a 5-shot group size at 100 yards? I very rarely shoot five-shot groups and measure them. It’s hard to say what an average is because about the only time I go measure one is if I think it was an exceptional group and I want to take a picture of it. I would guess my average is very close to 0.1 mils.” Very interesting! 0.1 mil is equivalent to 0.34 MOA or 0.36” at 100 yards.

Average 10-Shot Muzzle Velocity Standard Deviation (SD): 7 fps. Most handloaders have a goal for their SD to be “in the single digits,” meaning less than 10 fps. Some want that to be even lower, or at least brag when they get 5 fps or even 3 fps (although most of those SDs I see posted on Instagram are typically over 3 or 5 shots, which is a meaningless sample size). Austin says, “A 7 fps SD is plenty good for precision rifle matches.”

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2023...ustin-buschman-shooter-spotlight-part-3/

and since he seems to love F-Class:

Chronographs: Maintaining consistent velocities is an important part of long range shooting. If velocity varies too much, your groups will grow taller as range increases. So keeping an eye on velocity is something worth doing. One thing to note is that not all chronographs are created equal. The cheaper optical models can be more trouble than they’re worth, and many aren’t capable of measuring as accurately as we required. The Magnetospeed attaches to your rifle’s barrel and is very accurate and convenient. However, attaching a weight to the end of the barrel can influence how it shoots, so they’re not advisable during load development. The Labradar is also very accurate, and perhaps even more convenient as you don’t need to set it up down range or attach it to your rifle.

https://bisonballistics.com/articles/f-class-basics-part-2-ballistics-and-reloading

and another F Class guy:

I do most of my load testing at 100 yards. I look at group size and ES. If I can produce consistent sub-half-minute groups with an ES under 20 fps, I have plenty of confidence in my loads for long-range work.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek063/

Record-Setting .284 Win F-Classer
Ballard's .284 "Purple Haze" Shoots 200-13X at 1000 Yards
Other Guns of the Week >
Has Charles Ballard created the Ultimate F-Class Rifle? With this impressive rig, Ballard recently shot a new National F-Class 1000-yard record, a spectacular 200-13X on the new, smaller 1K F-Class Target. In a very short span, Ballard and his rifle have racked up an impressive string of performances. Ballard won the NRA Long-Range Regional, setting the new National Record in the process. He also won the North Carolina F-Class Championship with the gun, and finished second to National Champion Bob Bock in the NSSC Long-Range Club Championship. Ballard even broke a local club record at 600 yards (also 200-13X) with his tack-drivin' .284. Ballard's "Purple Haze" rifle features superb components, including a BAT MB action, Nightforce 12-42 BR Scope, and a wickedly accurate 32" Broughton barrel.

Load Development and Accuracy Testing
My philosophy on load development differs from many shooters. I don’t primarily shoot for groups. The only goal I have is to obtain the lowest ES and SD I possibly can. Holding elevation in F-Class is crucial. Uniform velocity gives me more consistent vertical point of impact. As we commenced load development, Jerry Tierney’s .284 Win load data posted on this website gave us a good starting point. We loaded 53.0 grains of Hodgdon H4831sc and shot one round, cleaned, shot three rounds, cleaned, then shot 10 rounds and cleaned. From this point we worked up in half-grain increments until pressure signs developed at 2950 fps. Then we backed the powder charge down until the bolt lift was smooth and the primers were nice and round.

Success: 2910 FPS with Ten-Shot ES of 7 and SD of 3
At this point I began working with different primers, neck tension and seating depth. After trying Federal 210m primers, CCI BR-2 primers, light tension, heavy tension, jamming, jumping, we settled on 56.0+ grains of H4831sc with CCI BR-2 primers. We ran about .002 neck tension with the 180s seated just touching the lands. This load gave us 2910 fps velocity with an Extreme Spread (ES) of 7 fps and a Standard Deviation (SD) of 3 fps over ten (10) shots.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

Disclaimer: All of the above is suspect after not having come off of the Accurate Shooter forum

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you hear PRS guys say their ES is super small, say under 15-20, they are telling you one day, one group of five more often than not. When you hear an F-Class shooter tell you their ES is 20, they probably shot 20-rounds in one sitting. A lot of difference in the behaviors of the two groups. Its a matter of statistics, the more rounds you shooter, the larger it will be. Five rounds, or even ten rounds is not enough of a test to determine statistically significant numbers for ES/SD. One needs a sample of at least 30. Pulling up my Garmin, my last range session with my F-Class rifle, my SD/ES for ten shots was 6.3/21.9, 5.8/18.2, and 5.2/18.6 on three separate strings. If I combine them, I ended up with an ES of of 21.9 for 30 rounds. If I take the first five rounds of the first 10 round string, I would have had an ES of 5 and change.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ole chucky since all you seem to wanna do is try to prove what I'm saying is wrong when everything you highlighted is exactly what i have been saying that low teens to mid 20's E.S will shot as small or smaller than single digit. maybe you should pick up some rifles and shoot some instead of reading about it because you can obviously tell were your at in the game.
Have you told the guys on accurateshooter all your spewing here?

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/03/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you need to quote someone else,you don't shoot very fhuqking much. Hint.

Just sayin'......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Ha, true!

Old guy, old guns.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since you like quoting things put a link to positive compensation, you obviously went to accurate shooter but decide to pick and choose. Post the whole thread about positive compensation it will explain why 20's E.S will shot as small as single digit E.S
Like drop point said things change what used to be top 5 not long ago is bottom 5. WHY? because loading practices change but you wanna believe 9 year old articles. Nothing against PRS but its a 1 moa game not the precision required in f- class or BR, I know some PRS shooters who shoot factory horny ammo

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

You and I can agree on a few things

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ole chucky since all you seem to wanna do is try to prove what I'm saying is wrong when everything you highlighted is exactly what i have been saying that low teens to mid 20's E.S will shot as small or smaller than single digit. maybe you should pick up some rifles and shoot some instead of reading about it because you can obviously tell were your at in the game.
Have you told the guys on accurateshooter all your spewing here?

shermy,

Again with the lack of comprehension??

You're the jackazz that started BS about single digit ES.. right? Because basically you don't know the difference between ES and SD.

I double dog dare you to find a post anywhere where I stated ANYTHING about single digit ES.

Now as to actually picking up a rifle.. you're a funny guy, must be due to a seasonal lack of kids on your lawn to shake your fist at.

Here's a pic of my "I love me wall", it's all from rifle matches:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

here's my back yard, my home range goes from 50 to 760 yds:

Now again, slowly.. post a quote where I stated something that tracked with single digit ES, or we're done here. have whomever is helping you work the computer help you. My time with be better spent following a short bus around and finding a passenger to debate with.

BTW, go on over to accurate shooter and wait for me, I'll be right over sometime between now and ... never.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/03/24.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your hilarious, you'll never go over there because you know I'm right but that's o.k.
I've seemed to rubbed you wrong about the PRS comment no pun intended your the one who started the attack so be it.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/03/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the end of the day I like to decide what matters for me based on my own results.

1000 yards prone/sling/irons groups

.284 Win, 184 Bergers SD 5.4 FPS Vertical 6.56"

[Linked Image]

.308 Win 155 Bergers SD 13.1FPS Vertical 16.37"

[Linked Image]

This group has double the shots of the first, but you can clearly see the elevation differences corresponding different velocities shown on the right.

The "positive compensation" effect mentioned in other posts above is not to be discounted, but I'm not certain it can be relied upon over different conditions.

Postscript: For those not familiar with acoustical targets (Etargets) the velocities shown are read at the target face. I find they tend to have a greater spread than at the muzzle due to varying individual bullet BCs, winds during their 1000 yard trip etc. , but I digress... or is that obsess?? wink

Last edited by MikeS; 03/03/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.