Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
the rifle i will be taking is a common Winchester model 70 with the claw s.s. that has a a better trigger , brown precision stock that is glass bedded and barrel is floated , steel picatinny scope mnts., now some may not like this scope but i have used this brand and size scope for over 10 years on my deer rifle ,elk rifle , antelope and coyote hunting = 5.5-22 x56 30 tube Nightforce scope the glass is clearer than most other glass in scopes . i also don`t like the groups this rifle shoots with either 165 gr. or 180 gr. Nosler Partitions so far , but this rifle really likes 160 gr. Hammer Hunters shoots 1/2 - 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the nice thing about Hammer bullets is Hammer always have them in stock, for few bucks more the cost for Hammer bullets is not going to make a difference on a $15,000.00 plains game hunt if i do use Hammer bullets ? i am shooting this rifle plenty having my own 100 yard range and as a club member i can shoot 200 & 300 yards 15 miles from my house anytime i want too and will . > i do like and hopefully get more guys experiences with shooting and African hunts it all will help in some way , i am just your normal north American type hunter who shoots a lot. thank you much ,Pete53

What country / where will you be hunting? Do you know the type of terrain? If you're going to be hunting in bushveld [link], you may regret that choice of scope. Just my opinion.

How are you with a quick shot at 50 - 60 yards from a standing position (no time for shooting sticks) with that scope and rifle?

The Limpopo River in South Africa back in 2002 (the opposite bank is Botswana):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a Nile Crocodile on the sandbar. “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” smile

Limpopo Bushbuck

Rifle: Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06
Scope: Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 x 20
Handload: 220 gr Woodleigh Weldcore round nose at 2460 fps

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have always been a decent off - hand shot ,will be hunting with Tam Outfitters S.E. South Africa , i am also taking my bi-pod with and with plenty shooting practice. thank you ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have no clue what a Hammer Hunter is, but I know accubonds and partitions are never a bad choice. IMHO you are way over-scoped. Hope you have a great hunt.

https://hammerbullets.com/hammer-hunter/

as has been posted for you on this site , Hammer bullets are in stock and Hammer bullets shoot very accurate too .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have always been a decent off - hand shot ,will be hunting with Tam Outfitters S.E. South Africa , i am also taking my bi-pod with and with plenty shooting practice. thank you ,Pete53

You're welcome. [Linked Image from cloudynights.com] I'm not sure of the terrain type in S.E. South Africa. I've only hunted in the northern Limpopo Province (3 times). I'm sure some others here will know.

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is this them?

Tam Safaris
https://tamsafaris.com/

[Linked Image from tamsafaris.com]

If you haven't seen them before, they have some videos on their website that will give you an idea of the terrain and what to expect.

https://tamsafaris.com/video-clips/

Scroll down once the page loads.

Just trying to be helpful...

Cheers! Bob F. smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In that area of South Africa, the terrain is more open and longer( 300+ yards) are not uncommon. Hunted there 2 years ago. Having said that, a 6x power scope is more than enough. Good luck with a bipod as the grass is usually too high to shoot from a prone or sitting position. Sticks are much more practical.

Last edited by jdollar; 03/03/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
In that area of South Africa, the terrain is more open and longer( 300+ yards) are not uncommon. Hunted there 2 years ago. Having said that, a 6x power scope is more than enough. Good luck with a bipod as the grass is usually too high to shoot from a prone or sitting position. Sticks are much more practical.

PSA.....you can't believe a word this lying nevertrumper, covtard, sackogrunt says:

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

You can’t fix stupid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I wondered how long it would take for my personal troll/stalker to pop up with another off topic comment. Obviously not long. It’s kind of nice to live rent free in an empty skull….

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Is this them?

Tam Safaris
https://tamsafaris.com/

[Linked Image from tamsafaris.com]

If you haven't seen them before, they have some videos on their website that will give you an idea of the terrain and what to expect.

https://tamsafaris.com/video-clips/

Scroll down once the page loads.

Just trying to be helpful...

Cheers! Bob F. smile

yes it is i am a rookie with Africa completely , plenty for me to learn. Pete53

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wondered how long it would take for my personal troll/stalker to pop up with another off topic comment. Obviously not long. It’s kind of nice to live rent free in an empty skull….

You will never outlive you're dimwitted Covtard comments and committment to the biggest farce ever perpetrated on the American people. The only rent free thing you're associated with is kissing Fauci/CDC/WHO's assses. Congrats.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You will never outlive you're dimwitted Covtard comments and committment to the biggest farce ever perpetrated on the American people. The only rent free thing you're associated with is kissing Fauci/CDC/WHO's assses. Congrats.

Take this crap back to the Campfire forum. Don't pollute the Africa forum with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He polluted the Africa forum with his nonsense and lies in the first place.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sorry sir, but it’s not going to change. Every time I leave a post with first hand information, brother raider will be along shortly with his off topic, personal attacks that contribute nothing. Obviously it’s all he knows or can contribute….

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

This is good advice.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I want to go back to Africa. When I got back it will be with my 30/06 using 180 grain Hornady interlocks. I would like to do a cull hunt for zebras & wildebeest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I did 5 cull hunts in Namibia, and added a specific trophy each time. Lots of hunting and shooting for very reasonable prices. If I go again I'll do the same thing again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry sir, but it’s not going to change. Every time I leave a post with first hand information, brother raider will be along shortly with his off topic, personal attacks that contribute nothing. Obviously it’s all he knows or can contribute….

You should be ashamed of yourself for contributing to the biggest fraud ever. Innocent people were affected and even killed by your recommended "vaccination" and booster recs. If you'd address it, I'd drop it, but not until then. Everyone can see who the fraud is.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
And everybody can see who the troll is. Carry on….

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And everyone can see who the lying fraud is as well. You earned it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I want to go back to Africa. When I got back it will be with my 30/06 using 180 grain Hornady interlocks. I would like to do a cull hunt for zebras & wildebeest.

Yep, I know the feeling. I’ve done three plains game hunts in Africa and then in 2022 at age 80 a bucket list hunt for Cape Buffalo. It was a fair chase hunt on a 39 square mile government reserve with no fences. After success on that, they offered me an Eland for a $1000 trophy fee because they had too many. I figured I would call it an African career after that hunt. A friend is going next July. I’m beginning to think I’m crazy enough to do one more at age 82. 😂

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.