Campfire Regular
Well, living in Ohio, I prefer to look at the silver lining:

Kentucky beat the National Champion!

Mule
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Following that logic, there are then at least 2 SEC teams that could beat the best the Big Ten has to offer..........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Dude, you're smoking crack....I watched the BCS trophy get handed to Nick Sabin in 2003 from about a hundred feet away. It wasn't the coaches poll trophy, it was the big crystal football BCS trophy.

The BCS and Coaches poll are intertwined. Why do you think their is no BCS final ranking AFTER the bowls? Because it's a selection process. The final Coaches poll is a formality that is tied to the results of the BCS Championship game. There is no separate Coaches/BCS title, period.

If you LSU fans want to keep running your mouths, then cough up the evidence I have asked for several times. Show me major sports/news sources that considers LSU the ONLY national title or national champion of 2003.

Better yet, lets wager on this. Box of bullets to the person that can either prove that USC is considered a co-champion or not considered the national title/champions of 2003, which has been the claim by several.

Put up or shut up time, who's in?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do I win if I can provide proof that the NCAA ALSO considers Oklahoma co champion in 2003 when LSU beat the crap out them, splitting the championship 3 ways....?

My point is USC signed onto the BCS by the fact that they are in a BCS conference. By being in a BCS conference - there conference got together and voted that the BCS will decide their championship.....no one even thought about a split championship till USC bitched about it because they got left out....how convenient.

Also according to the NCAA offical list of past champions in NCAA div I after 2005 they quit listing the poll championships - ONLY the BCS Champion.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/08/08.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Poor old OSU! Nine matchups with SEC teams and not one victory over them. I remember when teams like Michigan were perenial power house teams, but these days the SEC seems to corner the market.
....After this years mismatched games maybe it is time to reconsider a playoff system. It'd be more fair to the players than to end a season with as many questions as answers on who the top team ought to be.
....Congrtulations to LSU they played smack mouth football,played it fair, and dominated a team who'd not been seasoned against the tougher schedules of an SEC team.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Oh, dear gawd. The BCS and coaches poll were one and the same in 2003. There was no separate "BCS title". If you think that USC thinks it's 2003 title is lesser than it's 2004 title, you need to step away from the bong.

Auburn fans were praying for an AP split in 2004. You think they wouldn't claim they won the NC if they had got it?

Show me one major sports source that doesn't recognize them as co-champions. There isn't one. Just less than knowledgeable LSU fans.

Dude, you're smoking crack....I watched the BCS trophy get handed to Nick Sabin in 2003 from about a hundred feet away. It wasn't the coaches poll trophy, it was the big crystal football BCS trophy.

BTW Steve. I'd like you to highlight what part of my statement you feel I am "smoking crack" on. No attorney double talk or semantics. Show me where I said that LSU didn't get the crystal football.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who can name the 6 Co-Champions in 1981....or the 4 in 1993....or the (2) in 2005...that's right according the NCAA USC split their championship in 2005...

Who did Ohio State split their national championship with in 2002 according to the NCAA official list?

My point is you can claim split title all you want...but here in the "real world" LSU got it done this year and in 2003.

Otto is my co-pilot.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by NathanL
Do I win if I can provide proof that the NCAA ALSO considers Oklahoma co champion in 2003 when LSU beat the crap out them, splitting the championship 3 ways....?

My point is USC signed onto the BCS by the fact that they are in a BCS conference. By being in a BCS conference - there conference got together and voted that the BCS will decide their championship.....no one even thought about a split championship till USC bitched about it because they got left out....how convenient.

Also according to the NCAA offical list of past champions in NCAA div I after 2005 they quit listing the poll championships - ONLY the BCS Champion.

Nope. The NCAA lists BCS if the AP and Coaches are in agreement. They list a separate "Consensus National Champions" when there is a split title:

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

History - Past Champions

Official Records Books: NCAA.org

Football Bowl Subdivision
Bowl Championship Series
Year School Selecting organization
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California BCS
2003 Louisiana State BCS
2002 Ohio State BCS
2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
2000 Oklahoma BCS
1999 Florida State BCS
1998 Tennessee BCS
Consensus National Champions
Year School Selecting organization
2003 Southern California AP, FWAA

But according to the LSU fans, no one recognizes USC in 2003 as the National Champion. Guess the NCAA is wrong as well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check again.

OFFICAL NCAA.ORG listing of past CHAMPIONS in Div 1 football.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

LSU: BCS, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, Massey, NFF, Sagarin, Seattle Times, USA/ESPN
Oklahoma: Berryman
Southern California: AP, Eck, Matthews, NY Times

Ohio State: AP, BCS, Berryman, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, NFF, NY Times, Seattle Times, Sporting News, USA/ESPN, Wolfe
Southern California: Dunkel, Matthews, Sagarin

Clemson: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Helms, Litkenhous, Matthews, National Championship Foundation*, NFF, NY Times, Poling, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI
Nebraska: National Championship Foundation*
Penn St.: Dunkel
Pittsburgh: National Championship Foundation*
Texas: National Championship Foundation*
Southern Methodist: National Championship Foundation*

NCAA.ORG is the OFFCIAL site of the NCAA - the actual organization that schools belong to - the same that decides who is eligible etc...

NCAASPORTS.COM is a PR deal.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/08/08.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Who can name the 6 Co-Champions in 1981....or the 4 in 1993....or the (2) in 2005...that's right according the NCAA USC split their championship in 2005...

Who did Ohio State split their national championship with in 2002 according to the NCAA official list?

My point is you can claim split title all you want...but here in the "real world" LSU got it done this year and in 2003.

Only the AP and UPI/USAToday have been recognized nationally as the Mythical National Title for 50 some odd years. That part of the NCAA site just lists the various polls and who they selected. Hell Miami won like 8 National Titles if you count those lesser polls but no school have recognized anything but AP and UPI/CNN to claim the National Title for decades.

Notice on the official NCAA Sports site that they do NOT list those lesser polls and only list the AP/CNN splits.

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read my edit on the ncaasports.com website as opposed to the offical NCAA website.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
USC would have a claim - as well as Georgia if they were not a signer to the BCS National Championship agreement. It's like running for president and agreeing to what the voters say - then claiming you won anyway.....

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gawd, it kills me to see the Bucks go down. I hate saying it, but the best team won, and no, it wasn't my Buckeyes. We'll get 'em next year!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

NCAASPORTS.COM is a PR deal.

A PR deal, huh? I guess every other sports/news source is a PR deal as well. No one considers those lesser polls a national title. No one, not the schools, not any news source.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, I've gotta tell you - it is so tremendously enjoyable to just watch each football game that comes along for the great sport that it is without getting all het up over this NATIONAL CHAMPION stuff, either for the current year or when the Israelites played the Egyptians. Just one voice crying in the wilderness. Best to all, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
USC would have a claim - as well as Georgia if they were not a signer to the BCS National Championship agreement. It's like running for president and agreeing to what the voters say - then claiming you won anyway.....

Dude, your argument is going nowhere. What does Georgia have to do with USC? How does the NCAA listing more than one poll next to USC in 2003 prove that USC didn't win the National Title?

What is your point? If we went back to January 2004, what did the USAToday, CNN, Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Sporting News etc., etc., etc., say as to who won the National Title? Did they say it was a split title between USC and LSU or did they say only LSU won. Did they even mention any poll except the Coaches and AP.

This is a very, very simple question that you are trying to muddy the waters on.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Oh, dear gawd. The BCS and coaches poll were one and the same in 2003. There was no separate "BCS title". If you think that USC thinks it's 2003 title is lesser than it's 2004 title, you need to step away from the bong.

Auburn fans were praying for an AP split in 2004. You think they wouldn't claim they won the NC if they had got it?

Show me one major sports source that doesn't recognize them as co-champions. There isn't one. Just less than knowledgeable LSU fans.

BTW Steve. I'd like you to highlight what part of my statement you feel I am "smoking crack" on. No attorney double talk or semantics. Show me where I said that LSU didn't get the crystal football.

No, what you said was: There was no separate "BCS title".

That's BS, because the BCS has the coaches poll as a component and therefore cannot possibly be the same thing. You also said its not a title or a trophy, but it is both, and I watched it handed to another LSU coach last night. I don't know if you're, like, in some sort of USC menage a trois with Musberger and John David, but I am just not feeling the love for LSU that all good citizens should have after their epic ass kicking of the mighty buckeyes.

Who by the way have gayest mascot in division I. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

No, what you said was: There was no separate "BCS title".

That's BS, because the BCS has the coaches poll as a component and therefore cannot possibly be the same thing. You also said its not a title or a trophy, but it is both, and I watched it handed to another LSU coach last night. I don't know if you're, like, in some sort of USC menage a trois with Musberger and John David, but I am just not feeling the love for LSU that all good citizens should have after their epic ass kicking of the mighty buckeyes.

There is no separate title. How can you disagree with that?
The coaches poll is contractually obligated to vote the winner of the BCS championship game #1 and thus National Champion. Period. Fact.

The AP was a component as well BUT unlike the Coaches poll was NOT contractually obligated to vote the winner #1 and thus was free to give it's trophy to whom it chose as it did with USC.

There is no separate trophy. Did you see a Coaches poll trophy handed over as well? That was the claim above that there were two separate titles, BCS and Coaches and only those count. I Said there are not. That is the fact. There is no crack smoking and I don't even like USC. But I do know there were two Co-Champions in 2003.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh Oh, Know what the name of the crystal football officially is, Steve & Co.,?

AFCA Coaches' National Championship Trophy

http://www.afca.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9300&ATCLID=289347

Like I said (repeatedly), there is no separate BCS and Coaches trophy. The Coaches (AFCA) Sponsor the trophy and are contractually obligated to vote and provide it to the winner of the BCS selected championship game. There are two National Championship Trophies given out each year, the AP and the Coaches.

[Linked Image]

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.