Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Will be a shooter and outside most of its life. On the sxs or 4 wheeler.

What paint to use?

Last edited by LazyL0228; 03/03/24.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Krylon in the flat camo colors.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Montana...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Krylon in the flat camo colors.

Krylon camo green has worn like iron on a Savage synthetic stock. I am surprised at how well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rustoleum texture tan paint and Montana black webbing paint. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thumbs up for Rustoleum Fine Textured

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is Brownell's Alumihide on plastic stocks ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’m a fan of the VHT wrinkle paint. This is a BDL stock that I worked down and laid glass cloth on after sanding down it got a good coat of primer and then the VHT paint. I did this one in 2004 and it’s been through hell and other than a few chips it’s no worse for wear. The wrinkle paint also gives you enough texture for a sure grip. The only real downside is you have to choose one color and I like the black.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
How is Brownell's Alumihide on plastic stocks ??

kwg

It worked well for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
That VHT wrinkle paint job looks good. This is a wood stock forgot to say that. Also has a few repairs made to it. So will go with a black paint job. Thanks for the input guys. Keep them coming not ready to paint yet.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just painted five stocks this week.I was tired of looking at the boring black ones and decided to give them some new life.Was able to do five stocks with these two cans of paint and they came out even better than I expected.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I like it also.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
That VHT wrinkle paint job looks good. This is a wood stock forgot to say that. Also has a few repairs made to it. So will go with a black paint job. Thanks for the input guys. Keep them coming not ready to paint yet.
So did I the main thing with the VHT is a well prepped and a heavy coat of primer. Once painted you need a misting bottle of lacquer thinner in case an area doesn’t start to wrinkle.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Bald hunter that looks good

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I just painted five stocks this week.I was tired of looking at the boring black ones and decided to give them some new life.Was able to do five stocks with these two cans of paint and they came out even better than I expected.

That looks nice. I have a few which maybe I can get to look that good.
Good Job!
Rick

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=baldhunter]I just painted five stocks this week.I was tired of looking at the boring black ones and decided to give them some new came out even better than I expected.
[url=ht
Could we get a short tutorial on how you did this please. Any clear coat. Etc.
Thanks,
Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ive done a bunch of them. i like 2 or 3 different colors of camo ,then marble paint over top.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have painted stocks for many years.

One thing I try and use foremost is quality paint that is durable, rather than cheap paint that can and will wear or flake off. wink Usually Rustoleum.

After I'm done with my color painting scheme, whether its sponge method or over spray method, I let it dry good and spray it again with a good coat of matte finish clear coat. It wears VERY well after that.

I use my rifles daily, and carry one on my pickup, tractors and have one on my Mule SxS. No appreciable wear after years of hard use.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickinTN
[quote=baldhunter]I just painted five stocks this week.I was tired of looking at the boring black ones and decided to give them some new life.Was able to do five stocks with these two cans of paint and they came out even better than I expected.
I just painted five stocks this week.I was tired of looking at the boring black ones and decided to give them some new came out even better than I expected.
[url=ht
Could we get a short tutorial on how you did this please. Any clear coat. Etc.
Thanks,
Rick
I just removed the barreled action from the stock,taped off the recoil pad and sling studs with blue painter's tape and wiped the stock down with alcohol.I had a 1"x2" board about 18" long.I fitted it where it fit snuggly in the mag well of the stock.That way I could hold the board while painting the stock.So in other words,it formed a "T",making it easy to handle while painting.I applied the base coat on the stock.After painted,I put the board with the stock attached in a vice while the paint was drying.The paint I used dries rather quickly,so I waited about 30min before applying the marbelizing paint.When you spray the marbelizing paint you want to move fast across the stock.It comes out kinda like a spider web,so if your spraying the paint,be moving when your spraying.You can also get a little creative with the marbelizing paint to make it look a little tiger striped or whatever pattern your want,just remember this paint comes out really fast.It too dries rather quickly.And no,I did not apply any clear coat or sealer after.I wanted to keep the flat paint finish.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
rockinbbar those ARs look good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.