Print Thread
Hop To
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did these guys buy the company?

https://montanarifleco.com/

I believe they were stationed in Montana before, now in Michigan if infact it is the same company. Most importantly...if you bought one of their flops from montana will they honor it and fix it????

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
CALL the number, had an issue with older production and they were very helpful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting - wish them well. Hope they make actions or barreled actions available. I just hate that stock (wood) style with a passion and won't own one.

Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm just looking at an older one but don't want to get shafted like my buddy with his 300 WSM 1999 MRC.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
I'm just looking at an older one but don't want to get shafted like my buddy with his 300 WSM 1999 MRC.

Explain how he was shafted. I have one in 300 win mag and i am very hsppy with it

Last edited by jwp475; 03/04/24.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Most importantly...if you bought one of their flops from montana will they honor it and fix it????

According the person I spoke with - No, they won’t. Old company = old problem, not warrantied under their new company.

That said - he did say they will answer questions and assist discussions with rifle issues from the previous company.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/04/24.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a 260 campfire edition MRC that had some feeding issues. I was able to fix it myself polishing the rails a bit and then adjusting the mag box with a few bends. It shot well after that.

I don't know much about investment casting vs cnc machining but it seems like with the machines today they'd be better off just cnc machining the action from a block rather than bothering with casting and then finish matching it anyways. There should be a market for that style of action.

Bb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If anyone who likes the controlled feed big magnum Montana actions, I have a friend who had a Montana Barreled action in either 458 Win or 458 Lott (unknown to me at this time) that was slated to become a DGR for use in Africa but the dream never came to be, so now it's for sale for $1200.

PM me if you are interested and I can put you in touch with the owner.

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Explain how he was shafted. I have one in 300 win mag and i am very hsppy with it

John,

The rifle would not shoot under 2 moa no matter what. We looked at it and we noticed that on one side of the barrel channel the barrel was touching in several places and the other side it was not touching. He called Montana rifle company and he told them about it that it was not fully free-floated like it should have been. They actually yelled at him and told them how dare you say something like that about our quality control? They would not do anything about it. He then changed the stock out ....I believe with an accuracy international stock or something like that. We bedded it and it shot great.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got lucky with my X2 in 7mm08. When I first got it the safety was hellish hard to operate. But it loosened up with use. It was heavier than I expected. I had then shorten the barrel from 24 to 22. Turns out it makes a great rifle to hunt out of my climber. Feeds and shoots great.
I thought I read somewhere that the new guys are not going to be using cast but CNC out one piece of steel. Been about a year since I have heard anything about them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just watched a video and the new actions are fully machined and not from a casting. They are supposed to be much more consistent. I wouldn't mind one with the built in rail. To me it's just 1 less set of screws to worry about coming loose. I wouldn't mind about a 20 to 21" 9,3x62 with some nice open sights on one of these new actions. That is if the built in rail wouldn't mess up a sight picture.

I wonder if there blued or matte black looking model in the walnut stock is a stainless steel with a nitride finish. I think that's the way to go. Build everything stainless and nitride some for those who prefer a darker look. I also like that they use a chromoly steel bolt in a stainless action.

I wonder if they'll offer just the actions for sale. They claim the heads pace is consistent so someone could offer shouldered prefits. Hopefully the thread timing is consistent too.

These look much better than the old 1999 actions but maintain the desirable features.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just watched a video and the new actions are fully machined and not from a casting. They are supposed to be much more consistent. I wouldn't mind one with the built in rail. To me it's just 1 less set of screws to worry about coming loose. I wouldn't mind about a 20 to 21" 9,3x62 with some nice open sights on one of these new actions. That is if the built in rail wouldn't mess up a sight picture.

I wonder if there blued or matte black looking model in the walnut stock is a stainless steel with a nitride finish. I think that's the way to go. Build everything stainless and nitride some for those who prefer a darker look. I also like that they use a chromoly steel bolt in a stainless action.

I wonder if they'll offer just the actions for sale. They claim the heads pace is consistent so someone could offer shouldered prefits. Hopefully the thread timing is consistent too.

These look much better than the old 1999 actions but maintain the desirable features.

Bb
Sounded like they are taking it slow and offering minimum options. Very doubtful they will be selling just actions. I agree on the stainless with nitride coating. I have a Rem 700 XCR2 that is stainless with the black nitride. Easily one of my favorite set ups.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.