-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cumsincowboys finds it disconcerting,that folks actually shoot rifles that exist,with Live Ammo. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Cumsincowboys finds it disconcerting,that folks actually shoot rifle that exist,with Live Ammo. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................

shooting it more isn't going to fix your leupold little twig

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist and Live Ammo. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by koshkin
His test are uncontrolled and statistically incompetent. The results are meaningless. Moreover, the conclusions he gets are statistically impossible and somewhat contradictory to some very well structured tests I have seen. That's the bad part.

The good part is that the scopes he likes to push for whatever reason are perfectly reasonable scopes and should work just as well as other scopes of similar quality. It is not like he is pushing you to buy crap.

In my personal experience, the bulk of problems with good quality scopes shifting come from mounting issues. Most optics companies do not like to tell their customers that they are [bleep] idiots and can't mount a scope, so they simply swap the scope out and take a loss.

Again, in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone in a gunstore who knows how to mount a scope properly or how to tell when there is an issue with a mount or rings. It is not hard, but seems to be well beyond a typical gunstore employee. Now, I am sure there are perfectly competent gunstore employees out there and I have not done an exhaustive survey, but I have yet to see one.

Given that most riflescopes are made by the same few OEMs, often though not always, to a very similar standard, a lot simply comes down to how much QC was paid for both at the OEM and the company's office. For my dayjob, I make some of the equipment used for this kind of stuff. Some companies take it more seriously than others, but competitive pressure is pushing almost everyone to sorta shape up (there are some exceptions; for example, I am not seeing any improvement with Arken so far).

If you want confidence, use a scope that has been out for a bit, have a backup sighted in and ready to go since anything can fail, make sure you use a torque wrench and keep good records.

If you care about zero retention, stay away from any and all QD mounts. If I wanted to setup a particular scope to increase the probability of a failed side impact test, I would put it into a QD mount.

Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs) and given that I do not have the means to test myself enough identical scopes for any sort of statistical data, for my own personal use I do a very simple thing to deal with infant mortality. Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

ILya

What brand of scopes do you prefer?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I do not have one brand that I prefer for everything. Each particular models stands on its own merits. I have a significant number of scopes at home and they rotate all the time. I am travelling at the moment, so I am not even going to try to remember them all. I tend to use higher end stuff for my own personal purposes when I am not testing something specific. I end up using quite a few Tangent and March scopes when left to my own devices, but I have a good assortment of riflescopes from Vortex, Tract, Burris, Primary Arms, Meopta, Trijicon, SwampFox, Athlon, SWFA, Element, Delta and likely a few others I am not thinking of at the moment.

ILya

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for input

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Kewl.

I have "wares the exist" plus "Live ammo".

I can even up the bid to real live video in hunting use.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the Campfire
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
His test are uncontrolled and statistically incompetent. The results are meaningless. Moreover, the conclusions he gets are statistically impossible and somewhat contradictory to some very well structured tests I have seen. That's the bad part.

The good part is that the scopes he likes to push for whatever reason are perfectly reasonable scopes and should work just as well as other scopes of similar quality. It is not like he is pushing you to buy crap.

In my personal experience, the bulk of problems with good quality scopes shifting come from mounting issues. Most optics companies do not like to tell their customers that they are [bleep] idiots and can't mount a scope, so they simply swap the scope out and take a loss.

Again, in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone in a gunstore who knows how to mount a scope properly or how to tell when there is an issue with a mount or rings. It is not hard, but seems to be well beyond a typical gunstore employee. Now, I am sure there are perfectly competent gunstore employees out there and I have not done an exhaustive survey, but I have yet to see one.

Given that most riflescopes are made by the same few OEMs, often though not always, to a very similar standard, a lot simply comes down to how much QC was paid for both at the OEM and the company's office. For my dayjob, I make some of the equipment used for this kind of stuff. Some companies take it more seriously than others, but competitive pressure is pushing almost everyone to sorta shape up (there are some exceptions; for example, I am not seeing any improvement with Arken so far).

If you want confidence, use a scope that has been out for a bit, have a backup sighted in and ready to go since anything can fail, make sure you use a torque wrench and keep good records.

If you care about zero retention, stay away from any and all QD mounts. If I wanted to setup a particular scope to increase the probability of a failed side impact test, I would put it into a QD mount.

Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs) and given that I do not have the means to test myself enough identical scopes for any sort of statistical data, for my own personal use I do a very simple thing to deal with infant mortality. Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

ILya
Is that the Vortex paycheck talking? Lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Kewl.

I have "wares the exist" plus "Live ammo".

I can even up the bid to real live video in hunting use.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the Campfire
A "5 star facial" dumped on BS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Koshkin,
You say that most reputable brands do some sort of drop or impact test for zero retention. Shoot to verify baseline, drop or create impact of some sort, then shoot again to verify. I think that’s what you said. Are they actually doing this in a manner that imparts lateral force via side impacts? To mimic actual drops that might occur in the field? Or only via some sort of machine that only mimics longitudinal force (recoil simulation)?

I haven’t seen much of the former (outside of Nightforce). I have seen plenty of the latter, and frankly it doesn’t mean much to me. Of course a scope should hold up to recoil as that’s the very job it was assigned to do. That’s a minimum level expectation. Holding up to recoil of hunting rounds, magnums included, is really nothing exceptional, imo. Please show me exceptional so that I know it will easily hold up to the routine. Of course I also expect the tires I buy to be round and roll down the road too.

And if a scope is truly drop tested/torture tested in some manner, why isn’t that shown in marketing materials? Nightforce seems to be the only company that actually demonstrates their durability claims. Consequently, I own more NF scopes than any other brand, and they are on all of my most important hunting rifles.

As a hunter, durability is my #1 concern. I buy quality scopes that naturally have good glass. The glass nuances and subtleties on $1000+ scopes are mostly meaningless for most hunters. Why do marketing departments focus so much energy on stuff that matters less? Show us more of the torture testing and we’d probably buy a lot more of those scopes.

That's the thing - manufacturers like Leupold have a "trust me bro, our scopes are fine, you're just mounting them wrong" attitude, like the claims on their now defunct video. If they showed good testing we'd be more likely to believe the claims.
The thing with Form's tests is they might not have been statistically viable, but they often tended to reflect the results many of us were already seeing in the field with the exact scopes that were failing.
If someone has a better test, bring it on. In the meantime, we go with the data presented in the tests available to us.
Exactly.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by qwk

ILya
Is that the Vortex paycheck talking? Lol

I'd bet so...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Pardon wares that exist out in the field doing real work.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the 24hr Campfire

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Stick's have virtual problems, or owner induced puking. Lol

He warranties his own throw away scopes by having a closet full.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rent free in so many noggins.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Not that many, actually. It's the same four or five chihuahuas yapping at the ankles over and over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess my questions got dodged?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Did I miss a question somewhere in there?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Did I miss a question somewhere in there?
Yes, halfway down page 2.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
He’a not going to answer that, because it’s a conflict of interest. It’s pretty apparent that most manufacturers don’t do any meaningful testing.

One doesn’t have to be an engineer to figure out that live fire testing is the only meaningful durability test for a riflescope.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,830
Posts18,477,961
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.