Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by hillestadj
What brand is that?

Taking EVERYONE in a trade and lumping them all into one misguided opinion.

That brand.

When I was on the inspection deck here for about a year I got to see some dogshit welds from some of the new hires. When supervision climbed squarely up their ass for it, those guys got better or got down the road.

When I was doing boiler code work it was all 100% xray. You don't get away with dogshit welds when everything is xray'd. In that facility you kept a 98% passing rate for the year or you went back into their school for two weeks. There was never a next time after that, you got walked to the gate.

There are absolutely great welders out there, and I've worked with a bunch of them. The ones who couldn't hack the job didn't last very long.
Thats definitely how it should be. I am not qualified on any welding. But I've welded a bunch over the years. And my worst issues around were cracks around the weld. IE if it broke the weld held but the metal didn't.

I simply cannot much fathom that with a bit of education and practice welding isn't all that hard. The cramped quarters of tight welds would get me at my age. And my eyes are not that great anymore behind the hood but the young ones should all be able to master something like welding..

Its a shame that some can't cut it. Its a good, but very hard working, job.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Just retired in January from a 35yr pipeline welding career…sold all my big diesel machines and miscellaneous equipment and just yesterday made a deal to sell my fully equipped 2018 GMC diesel duelly.
Good luck with your side gig…you couldn’t get me near the crackle of a welding rod or the roar of a welding machine anymore, the thought of it alone makes me wanna puke 🤮

We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
What brand is that?

That brand.

When I was on the inspection deck here for about a year I got to see some dogshit welds from some of the new hires. When supervision climbed squarely up their ass for it, those guys got better or got down the road.

When I was doing boiler code work it was all 100% xray. You don't get away with dogshit welds when everything is xray'd. In that facility you kept a 98% passing rate for the year or you went back into their school for two weeks. There was never a next time after that, you got walked to the gate.

There are absolutely great welders out there, and I've worked with a bunch of them. The ones who couldn't hack the job didn't last very long.
Thats definitely how it should be. I am not qualified on any welding. But I've welded a bunch over the years. And my worst issues around were cracks around the weld. IE if it broke the weld held but the metal didn't.

I simply cannot much fathom that with a bit of education and practice welding isn't all that hard. The cramped quarters of tight welds would get me at my age. And my eyes are not that great anymore behind the hood but the young ones should all be able to master something like welding..

Did a lot of pre-heating and post-heating to keep stuff from cracking. High carbon alloys are the worst for it, but even thick "mild steel" needs a preheat or it can crack. Worst I ever did was TiG tube to header joints on T9 material for HRSG panels, that needed a continuous heat throughout the work on the headers. There were 3 to 4 shifts worth of joints for two guys on each header. So they had ceramic heater blankets in clamshell devices that surrounded the header and kept it hot. The guy on top got to lay down on insulated blankets while he welded to keep from cooking himself, but he still cooked pretty good. The guy underneath doing the lower half of the joint overhead had it made. Sat in a modified office chair that was shorter and leaned way back. Worst of that was your arms got tired but you didn't cook medium well.

Welding will kill your eyes. Mine were never good to begin with, having to wear correction for near-sightedness since I was 12. The last 6 or 7 years though I've either had to use a cheater lens in my hood, or lately doing everything over-head I had bifocals made with correction at the top of the lens in addition to the bottom. Goofy looking as hell but I don't have to tilt my head back severely to focus, just look up from a normal position. Tons easier on the neck and no headaches after work.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by rost495
What brand is that?

That brand.

You....uhhhhh.......there are some things going on with your welds if any cracking is occuring, regardless of it being around the weld or the weld itself.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hey Boots!

What kind of mobile welding do you want to do?

Well, my research thus far is showing that farm equipment repair is probably going to be my main source of side work for breakdowns and such, which is fine. I don't mind getting muddy.

I have a couple of good machines so far, and a nice portable generac GP9200E, so I'm good on power. I've also got pretty much any hand tool I would ever need, from my previous career. All I actually need to buy is a trailer.

What I am working on now is a job pricing model to see if this is worth doing. I haven't bought anything or made any investment yet aside from time to do research, so I am still in the planning phase. However, as described above, the start-up cost would be minimal.

A Porta Power? Cable and chain come alongs?

Lotsa jacks and stands.

Access to a crane helps too.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you considered mobile welding lessons?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What brand is that?

The killer Diller super welder brand.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wouldn't rule out hand rail work and the like either.

That would be good clean work you could knock out quick.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What brand is that?

You ran into somebody you can't bully around, and you don't like it, you fuc-cking useless dik.

Berate a man for choosing a trade and getting good at it. Paying his bills, paying his taxes, providing for his family, and not asking anybody for a single damn thing.

Go fuc ck yourself, random irrelevant "jimbo" conrad, whoever the fuc ck you are, with extreme prejudice......over, and over, and over again, until they plant your sorry fuc-cking ass in the fuc-cking ground.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What brand is that?

You ran into somebody you can't bully around, and you don't like it, you fuc-cking useless dik.

Berate a man for choosing a trade and getting good at it. Paying his bills, paying his taxes, providing for his family, and not asking anybody for a single damn thing.

Go fuc ck yourself, random irrelevant "jimbo" conrad, whoever the fuc ck you are, with extreme prejudice......over, and over, and over again, until they plant your sorry fuc-cking ass in the fuc-cking ground.

Hahah….

#triggered

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I see some of you morons are still at it.

I spent all day visually inspecting welds and getting the appropriate NDE done. Like any, ANY occupation you will have both ends of the spectrum as for as abilities. Some work really hard to barley make it while others make it look easy.
Welding is no different.

What makes welding particularly different in one respect, is the amount of stupid people that believe they know anything about the subject. It’s really a curious thing.

You don’t see the same thing in other professions. A heart surgeon doesn’t have to listen to some mouth breathing retard trying to either give advice on his technique or try to convince home he’s over paid and under qualified lol.

Some of the comments here and what I’ve heard in person is down right retarted. What is required to be a certified welder the difference between the various welding codes, the difficulty of the various alloys to weld the different welding processes the difference between a pipeline welder, a structural welder, a refinery welder all of it may as well be written in Chinese backwards for all the good it does the average moron that feels compelled to comment on anything welding related.

It’s fascinating really. And for some reason the less welding ability one of these smooth brains have the more determined they are to try and down grade the profession?

Here are some facts for the smooth brains.
1. Structural welding including ship yards, fence building, trailer building, junk iron repair welding and your alcoholic uncle trying to weld a hole in a bush hog deck are the very basic lower skill level, entry level welding.
2. Pipe line welders are welding to one of the less stringent codes. The acceptance criteria for 1104 is easier than the refinery codes, period. No matter what your bumper sticker says.
3. Fab shop welders be they pipe, tube or structural are welding in a controlled environment where everything that can be done to make the welding easier ( read faster, more efficient, to make more money for the shop) has been done.
4. Of the various refinery pipe welding jobs. Tube welding in boilers and furnaces are the top of the difficulty levels. A lot of the tube welds are graded severe on the RT (X-ray) for the dumbasses that means any defect of any size is rejectable. It requires a nearly perfectly made weld in the tightest, sometimes hottest environment you can work in. Sometimes under fresh air respirators, often times with mirrors. These are the best of the best. I know because I’ve welded in every level from a ship yard to the highest paying tube welding jobs there was.

For some comparisons. I know and have worked with some young guys no more than 22-23 years old. These were some of the fastest and best welders I’ve ever seen. Lay out all night drinking, show up late and run thru more welds in a day than any other welders on the job 3 to 1. Never have a repair never have anything visible on a weld that I’d have to get them to fix. Smart assed attitude, cocky and able to back it up. There’s a reason these guys make as much in a year as your average family doctor.
Not every welder will ever get to this level, but there are plenty of them.

If your only experience welding is what you’ve heard second hand, or the time you welded a bumper on a piece of $hite truck you should STFU when the subject of welding is discussed.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Amazing super welders even need inspected.....

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
What brand is that?

Hahah….

#triggered

It never gets old.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I got a funny anecdote on a call I got years ago. Interstate 5 slipped 35 feet down the mountain south of Ashland Oregon. Major panic, all hands on deck. The prime contractor had to build up to the original grade and de-water the cause of the slip out. I got a call, get here as fast as you can, we will pay your speeding tickets, we got our only water truck with a slipping clutch,bad, it will barely get moving...the nearest rental is 5 hours away. I was still talking about how it couldn't be fixed when the super hung up. I showed up, dove under the truck, nothing to be done...super says...can you weld it solid? Uh, maybe, but...Super says, shut up and weld it solid. So I drove old bolts, bits and pieces of scrap, gobbed huge stalactites and stalagmites of stainless stick rod (cast flywheel) through the 4 inch inspection hole welding the clutch plates to the flywheel. The skilled driver kept it going for 5 more hours until the rental arrived. The super kept me there on the clock until it got there. They paid me a full 8 hours, I said, no, that's too much...the super says, look kid, I had a loader, three 35 ton haul trucks, two dozers, and a blade and two vibratories, four engineer techs, a compaction guy...I would be shut down without water on the fill compaction...your time was the best bargain of the day.

Definitely worth it when you are down…. I have been in that business since I was 19. The last big job I did down in Fresno, we moved about 4 million yards of dirt for a housing subdivision…. I had about 25 operators on-site….. daily payroll and equipment costs over 40 grand…. I had 2 mechanics on standby all day everyday. Even things like paving, there may only be 4-5 guys on-site but the value of the material that is “on the road” or already on its way to the job is so high that most contractors have not just a mechanic on standby but also haul a “backup “ paver to each job…… if the op could get in with someone in that situation who may not be able to afford someone full time but only when they are doing a high risk operation…. Paving, big concrete pour, harvest time, etc….. could make a few bucks if you got the skills to McGyver the chit back together.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I got a funny anecdote on a call I got years ago. Interstate 5 slipped 35 feet down the mountain south of Ashland Oregon. Major panic, all hands on deck. The prime contractor had to build up to the original grade and de-water the cause of the slip out. I got a call, get here as fast as you can, we will pay your speeding tickets, we got our only water truck with a slipping clutch,bad, it will barely get moving...the nearest rental is 5 hours away. I was still talking about how it couldn't be fixed when the super hung up. I showed up, dove under the truck, nothing to be done...super says...can you weld it solid? Uh, maybe, but...Super says, shut up and weld it solid. So I drove old bolts, bits and pieces of scrap, gobbed huge stalactites and stalagmites of stainless stick rod (cast flywheel) through the 4 inch inspection hole welding the clutch plates to the flywheel. The skilled driver kept it going for 5 more hours until the rental arrived. The super kept me there on the clock until it got there. They paid me a full 8 hours, I said, no, that's too much...the super says, look kid, I had a loader, three 35 ton haul trucks, two dozers, and a blade and two vibratories, four engineer techs, a compaction guy...I would be shut down without water on the fill compaction...your time was the best bargain of the day.

Definitely worth it when you are down…. I have been in that business since I was 19. The last big job I did down in Fresno, we moved about 4 million yards of dirt for a housing subdivision…. I had about 25 operators on-site….. daily payroll and equipment costs over 40 grand…. I had 2 mechanics on standby all day everyday. Even things like paving, there may only be 4-5 guys on-site but the value of the material that is “on the road” or already on its way to the job is so high that most contractors have not just a mechanic on standby but also haul a “backup “ paver to each job…… if the op could get in with someone in that situation who may not be able to afford someone full time but only when they are doing a high risk operation…. Paving, big concrete pour, harvest time, etc….. could make a few bucks if you got the skills to McGyver the chit back together.

That’s a good insight into the real world of getting schidt done.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you have most everything you need, then why not. All you can do is make money with equipment that is already paid for, great.
Maybe inquire with you’re insurance man on a liability and medical policy if you or someone else gets hurt on a job. LLC it and separate it from your personal assets, so if someone gets hurt a year down the road blames it on your weld they can’t take your house.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't rule out hand rail work and the like either.

That would be good clean work you could knock out quick.

That or ornamental stuff. Like gates and fence work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's one I built for my buddy, as a house warming gift:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Took this pic, after dry fitting it. Then off to the powdercoaters.

When I did mobile welding for a company, you never knew what you'd be working on. It's fun work, but be prepared for anything.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats cool.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Bay1975
I see some of you morons are still at it.

I spent all day visually inspecting welds and getting the appropriate NDE done. Like any, ANY occupation you will have both ends of the spectrum as for as abilities. Some work really hard to barley make it while others make it look easy.
Welding is no different.

What makes welding particularly different in one respect, is the amount of stupid people that believe they know anything about the subject. It’s really a curious thing.

You don’t see the same thing in other professions. A heart surgeon doesn’t have to listen to some mouth breathing retard trying to either give advice on his technique or try to convince home he’s over paid and under qualified lol.

Some of the comments here and what I’ve heard in person is down right retarted. What is required to be a certified welder the difference between the various welding codes, the difficulty of the various alloys to weld the different welding processes the difference between a pipeline welder, a structural welder, a refinery welder all of it may as well be written in Chinese backwards for all the good it does the average moron that feels compelled to comment on anything welding related.

It’s fascinating really. And for some reason the less welding ability one of these smooth brains have the more determined they are to try and down grade the profession?

Here are some facts for the smooth brains.
1. Structural welding including ship yards, fence building, trailer building, junk iron repair welding and your alcoholic uncle trying to weld a hole in a bush hog deck are the very basic lower skill level, entry level welding.
2. Pipe line welders are welding to one of the less stringent codes. The acceptance criteria for 1104 is easier than the refinery codes, period. No matter what your bumper sticker says.
3. Fab shop welders be they pipe, tube or structural are welding in a controlled environment where everything that can be done to make the welding easier ( read faster, more efficient, to make more money for the shop) has been done.
4. Of the various refinery pipe welding jobs. Tube welding in boilers and furnaces are the top of the difficulty levels. A lot of the tube welds are graded severe on the RT (X-ray) for the dumbasses that means any defect of any size is rejectable. It requires a nearly perfectly made weld in the tightest, sometimes hottest environment you can work in. Sometimes under fresh air respirators, often times with mirrors. These are the best of the best. I know because I’ve welded in every level from a ship yard to the highest paying tube welding jobs there was.

For some comparisons. I know and have worked with some young guys no more than 22-23 years old. These were some of the fastest and best welders I’ve ever seen. Lay out all night drinking, show up late and run thru more welds in a day than any other welders on the job 3 to 1. Never have a repair never have anything visible on a weld that I’d have to get them to fix. Smart assed attitude, cocky and able to back it up. There’s a reason these guys make as much in a year as your average family doctor.
Not every welder will ever get to this level, but there are plenty of them.

If your only experience welding is what you’ve heard second hand, or the time you welded a bumper on a piece of $hite truck you should STFU when the subject of welding is discussed.

100% CORRECT

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,264
Posts18,504,887
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.