-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had good luck with, accuracy wise, with FN's CL barrels.................but that's a relative thing as all have red dots, so I really can't speak to real precision with a high mag scope.

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
MontanaMan, you mention that you stick with one ammo, are you using the 77 grain loads?

Yes, my "stock" loading is 77 SMK's, handloaded or IMI 77 gr Razorcore factory......................both shoot the same.

Pigs generally get 62 gr Barnes TSX / TTSX.

I shoot lots of other bullets in my AR's, but certain guns always remain sighted with the 77's.................if a particular gun ends up being sighted with something else, I put a piece of tape on it with the info.

Just my way, YMMV.

NN

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am fond of the 62 grain TSX as well. Killed the biggest deer of my life with one, small exit hole, just drops of blood but I heard him fall and he was not more than 25 yards from the shot. This was about a 5O yard shot,but I would not be afraid with that bullet at 150 or so, only thing is sparse blood trail.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just came back from sighting in the new Criterion barrel in a wind storm. Wow is all I can say for now but 5 shot groups at 1” with 77 grain SMK’s and 55 grain NBT’s. The shocker was they both hit same POI.
1-4 Trijicon Accupower on it. The first 3 bullets after adjusting the scope close to POA went into a ragged hole.
Gun is easy to shoot, brass lands at 4:00 with the suppressor on. Balance is good and it weighs less than my Sionics pencil barreled gun but it has a light and a SOPMOD stock on it.

For the rest of my guns, I shoot IMI M193, 55 grain NBT’s and my reloads with MK318 bullets all to the same basic zero at 200 yards. The 77 grain SMK’s hit 4” to the right in my guns and a shooting buddy’s gun.

My other Criterion likes 75 grain Hornady HPBT’s so I’ll try them on a better day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which Criterion barrel is that, TWR?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
16” CORE
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by TWR; 03/03/24.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TWR
16” CORE
Wow! Really nice 7yd groups!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Criterion is making good barrels of all types.

It's my understanding that it's their SS barrels are what Ranier is selling as their Ultra Match product, & Craddock Precision also has their SS blanks as an option as did Compass Lake.

I have one of the Ranier's in a 16" & it's just a hammer & one of the best barrels that I own.

MM

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TWR
16” CORE
That is a good barrel. Nice shooting! I found an unused BHW barrel in my junk box it was 1 pound 14 ounces IIRC, got to get a bolt and a muzzle device.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just put this upper together on Friday. I have not yet gotten to the range yet. As per Balisstic Advantage the barrel weighs 32.02 ounces and is 18" long.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check this thread. Garand Thumb just put this video up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ounds-will-a-400-ar-15-last#Post19267294

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by lc11
Guys over at Arfcom swear by those Colt Socom bbls for 16" accurate builds.
Not surprising. The only chrome-lined AR barrels I know of that shoot better than Colt are Criterion, but they don't it looks like they make a great light one.
Fixed. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lc11
Guys over at Arfcom swear by those Colt Socom bbls for 16" accurate builds.
Not surprising. The only chrome-lined AR barrels I know of that shoot better than Colt are Criterion, but they don't it looks like they make a great light one.
Fixed. smile

Criterion "Pencil" profile, via Fulton Armory. At 1.35 lbs., it'll make a light, accurate upper.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfa16m4gicontourcm1x9threadedchromelined-1-1.aspx

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fulton armory is still in business? Thats amazing.
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR
16” CORE
Wow! Really nice 7yd groups!
Are you anything but an azz?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are coming through! The OP is getting the good stuff!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
I just came back from sighting in the new Criterion barrel in a wind storm. Wow is all I can say for now but 5 shot groups at 1” with 77 grain SMK’s and 55 grain NBT’s. The shocker was they both hit same POI.
1-4 Trijicon Accupower on it. The first 3 bullets after adjusting the scope close to POA went into a ragged hole.
Gun is easy to shoot, brass lands at 4:00 with the suppressor on. Balance is good and it weighs less than my Sionics pencil barreled gun but it has a light and a SOPMOD stock on it.

For the rest of my guns, I shoot IMI M193, 55 grain NBT’s and my reloads with MK318 bullets all to the same basic zero at 200 yards. The 77 grain SMK’s hit 4” to the right in my guns and a shooting buddy’s gun.

My other Criterion likes 75 grain Hornady HPBT’s so I’ll try them on a better day.

Thank you for the field report.

Greatly appreciated.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I think Criterion is making good barrels of all types.

It's my understanding that it's their SS barrels are what Ranier is selling as their Ultra Match product, & Craddock Precision also has their SS blanks as an option as did Compass Lake.

I have one of the Ranier's in a 16" & it's just a hammer & one of the best barrels that I own.

MM

That's my experience as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was able to get out this morning in a pretty strong North wind but it was somewhat steady. I shot 4 different rounds and confirmed my 200 yard zero as well as sighted in my iron sights.

First the carbine while not as light as it could be, it’s useful. The barrel is a 16” Criterion CORE and is chrome lined.
So my 100 yard groups were just over 1” and that might be as good as I can shoot with the 1-4 scope on it.
Then I jumped out to 200 yards and shot 5 of the 55 grain NBT’s.
Surprised they hit as high as they did but I dropped them down 2 clicks and called it good.

Zeroed the irons at 50 yards and I have a new favorite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I was able to get out this morning in a pretty strong North wind but it was somewhat steady. I shot 4 different rounds and confirmed my 200 yard zero as well as sighted in my iron sights.

First the carbine while not as light as it could be, it’s useful. The barrel is a 16” Criterion CORE and is chrome lined.
So my 100 yard groups were just over 1” and that might be as good as I can shoot with the 1-4 scope on it.
Then I jumped out to 200 yards and shot 5 of the 55 grain NBT’s.
Surprised they hit as high as they did but I dropped them down 2 clicks and called it good.

Zeroed the irons at 50 yards and I have a new favorite.

Typically a 16 inch carbine is 1 MOA high at 100yds to be dead on zero at 200 yds.

With the 55gr it looks like you're 1.5 MOA high at 100 and .5 MOA high at 200yds before your final move.

Pretty solid shooting for 4X and a chrome lined barrel.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah I’m not sure why it hit so high, I need to get some chrono numbers but literally figured the wind would blow my cheap tripod over. I’ve read that a can might increase velocity by a smidge but I can’t imagine it would do this much.

I didn’t think to shoot it with the scope at 50, I’ll have to do it all again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 32 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.