Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,
I’m looking at a Remington 700 VLS .243 for coyote hunting. Do you think they’re too heavy?
If not what’s available in the market place. If I buy new I’d like a faster twist .
What’s your thoughts? Also, I’ll be 75 this month
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration
Semper Fidelis
Soup

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be heavy scoped up, probably 9+ pounds.

If I wanted a VLS it would be an original VLS with checkering and black forearm tip. Not the later beavertail forearm that's wide.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go 6 ARC and never look back. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Big Stick,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I’m an old guy so not familiar with a lot of the newer calibers
What is the 6 ARC?
Thank you 😊 nice again.
Soup

Down South 68-69

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As mentioned, the early VLS are the better ones. Blued steel, bdl style laminate checkered stocks, with the barrel cut back to 24”. Remington gold.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To heavy. You would be better off picking up a sporter weight gun. Might look at a 223 also.

Last edited by 7_08FAN; 03/04/24.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Soup
Gents,
I’m looking at a Remington 700 VLS .243 for coyote hunting. Do you think they’re too heavy?
If not what’s available in the market place. If I buy new I’d like a faster twist .
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Soup, for a lightweight yote rifle, look into the Tikka. A .223 rem, 22-250, or .243 would all work great, and they would probably be 2 pounds or more lighter than the VLS when scoped up. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big Stick,
What is the 6 ARC?
Thank you 😊 nice again.
Soup

Down South 68-69

Basic overview commercial - doesn't HAVE to be AR15 based.

Brownell's has the Howa Mini in 6 ARC Here

Grab a stock of your choosing here.

And you're basically into it pretty decently - financially with something fairly light if you select the right stock.

Me

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can typically find a Howa 1500 Mini Action in 6mm ARC complete rifle, already with a very serviceable plastic stock, for $499. Most reputable gun shops will order one if they don’t have it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 12 rifles chambered in 22-250 that run the full spectrum from light to heavy and long to short. If you're not carrying your rifle very far to your calling site, weight probably isn't a major issue.

I might walk more than a mile, each way, to a calling site, so I prefer a lighter rifle. In this regard my preferred 22-250 is a faux 700 LVSF parts gun that I put together in 2008. The only time that I carry a heavy barrel varmint rifle is when I shoot pdogs and gsquirrels on prairies where I can drive to the shooting site.

My favorite rifle to carry when calling predators since 2015 is a Ruger American Predator in 204 RUG. While not as light to carry as my faux 700 LVSF parts guns in 223 and 22-250, it is very accurate and being slightly muzzle heavy it is easy to maintaining a smooth/steady swing on a moving target.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big Stick,
What is the 6 ARC?
Thank you 😊 nice again.
Soup

Down South 68-69

The 6 ARC is basically an Improved 6PPC,with shoulder pushed forward,to yield more case capacity. It is an AMAZINGLY efficient chambering and I MUCH prefer it to an OEM 700 243 Win at 1-9"-ish. The ARC will make use of better bullets,with exceedingly modest recoil,that retains a pile driving ass. The Mini Howies are a nice path and I've a herd. I'm firmly in the path of aborting the issued plastic bottom "metal" and Dog Schit proprietary magazine,in order to upgrade to JO V2 BDL bottom. Integrity is gained,feed/function improves,rugged reliability is increased and you gain COAL latitude. Win/win/win. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

6.5 Grendel brass is a single pass affair,to arrange ARC,just like others of the ilk. 224 Grendel,6PPC,ARC,243 Grendel. Hint.

I have 'em in Carbon and Walnut both. Let fit/balance dictate what your wallet likes best. Hint.

While I prefer the 224 Grendel,there are no flies on the 6 ARC. Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Varmint bullets are usually light and short. You don’t need a fast twister to throw match bullets at 600 yard coyotes. If you do, you won’t kill very many anyways.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Clearly some here have zero reading comprehension skills.

243 will be just fine. Who cares if it isn't the best cartridge for throwing a 120 grain bullet? That's what bigger calibers are for.

Any good varmint bullet will do fine on yotes. Don't even need a fast twist to turn them.

Buy whatever rifle fits and feels best to YOU. If you move locations with a vehicle or ATV and shoot from a bipod, rifle weight isn't even an issue, and would be a benefit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Varmint bullets are usually light and short. You don’t need a fast twister to throw match bullets at 600 yard coyotes. If you do, you won’t kill very many anyways.

You are an Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6 ARC or the 22 ARC are fine varmint choices IMO. The cartridges can be AR based or turn-bolt based. I like the 22 ARC for varmints using 60-90 gr loads from 3,350 fps for lights and 2,850 fps for heavies. Can’t go wrong with either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've multiples of each,in both Turnbolt and Krunchenticker. Hint.

243 Grendel here,with 105 Smooches in a 8"(have 7" and 7.5" too). Hint.

Fhuqking HAMMER. Hint.................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don’t need a lesson in killing coyotes from some linked YouTube channel.
Try harder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will do MUCH better by asking questions,than giving "answers". No need to cite you've never even fhuqking "seen" an ARC,let alone "shot" one,with projectiles cited. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More coyotes will get shot without the Arc then with.
Fact.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Brokedick Whining CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and very often side by each,while you Pretend aloud with your GoogleFu. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What I’m really trying to say is that Arc case is a steaming pile of coyote turd.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy schidt guys, if you can't kill a yote with an off the shelf .243 winchester, you are a horrible shooting sob. Take up a different sport. I have 2 different 243's that work wonderfully for yotes and deer. Nice fairly lightweight rifles, set up with simple scopes (Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle) that suit them perfectly. Good for out to 500 yards. 400 yards is almost too easy, and that is with the cheap as fu ck 100gr Hornady interlock.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies. Hint.

Poor poor(literally) BullSchitArtists has her hands full trying to get 108’s and the like in her 6x45 upper. Hint.

You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot!

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP's question was less about 243 and more about that specific rifle being too heavy. Also indicated desire for faster twist which would be a clue that he intends or would like to if possible run heavier bullets for caliber. He was also open to OTHER ideas.

6 ARC was mentioned as a way to launch good bullets at good speed from a dandy little platform the Howa Mini. - asked and answered to the OP and not really off topic.

Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve got a slew of varmint rifles from 17HMR to 6ackley and fast twist 6x47 lapua. Some std sporters and others with barrels up to 28” and heavy contours. I’ve also been hunting coyotes for nearly 40 years and killed several hundred of them along the way. All the rifles I mentioned have a place. I bought a 22-250 700VLS ( old style) about 35 years ago…. I hunted it less than a season. Too heavy. Too long. Too much to tote and too heavy to swing on a moving coyote. I’ve also shot coyotes waaay out there with a 6x47lapua shooting VLD’s…. But those dogs never knew I was there. I had a very good rest and I had time to hit them multiple times with a laser rangefinder then dial then look at the wind then get on the rifle and kill them…. Coyotes like to move and when they move they cover a lot of ground in a big hurry. They normally don’t stand around waiting to be shot at. Anymore if I’m calling coyotes it either an AR shooting 55BT’s or a bolt action 22-250 shooting 50 or 55 gr bullets as fast as I can accurately push them. If I could have only one rifle to hunt coyotes it’d be my trust old 700BDL shooting 50BT’s 3800fps. It wears an old 3-9 leupold with a fine reticle. If I see a coyote out to 400-450….That coyotes probably not long for the world. Not saying the VLS 243 won’t work. It certainly will and quite well. I’d suggest a 55BT at 4000fps or so. Aim on fur to probably 360-370 yards properly sighted in and look at the 87vmax if you want to shoot further. Either will kill coyotes with great authority.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've lonnggggg shot 50's at 3750fps via 21" 223AI's. Nothing redeeming there,as compared to 75's,or better yet 88's. Hint.

It'd be tough to trump a Reupold 3-9X SFP wearing a schit reticle,as THE Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

I rather like the VLS with ebony tip,as a Niche Play Toy and have had 'em in 223,22-250 and 243. Chop to 21",flute and they liven up. RPM is their bane,if only because bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

Glass selection,curtails much Dumbfhuqkery and will literally connect dots by default. Because one is going to be looking through the fhuqking thing anyway,you may as well have a useful reticle that will arrange POA/POI for distance,atmospherics and contending movers. Nothing is warmer/fuzzier than Base Ten. Hint.

87 'Max here,due Retard RPM(10") and it fhuqking PALES to an ARC with 112's. Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Typical Montucky that "doesn't shoot". Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Light rifles make poor varmint rigs. The varmint hunter doesn’t hike up mountains. He is usually found close to the truck. Where the coffee and donuts are.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Light rifles make poor varmint rigs. The varmint hunter doesn’t hike up mountains. He is usually found close to the truck. Where the coffee and donuts are.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ha! Enjoy the show

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I used a .243" 70 grain Sierra BlitzKing on this coyote. Rifle is a Winchester M 70 .243 Win with a 6x Weaver. IIRC it weighs around 9 lbs as is in the picture.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If mostly calling coyotes I was using a 243 sending the 58 gr. Vmax out at over 3800 fps. My shots are usually at moving or coyotes that stop for a few seconds. The rifle is a sporter weight Savage, plenty accurate enough and I never had to even consider trajectory out to 350 yards or so. Lately I have been lugging a 6 Grendel pushing the same bullet at around 3200 fps. Haven't killed a coyote with it yet but it seems to be a raccoon magnet which is good also. Will be out calling them in soon but the Crappie are in the creeks. Gotta have priorities.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Your Brokedick handicaps and gross inabilities,aren't the plight of all,though your Professional Victim status is assuredly warranted...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We packed a lot of BDL VS, VLS, VS, VSSF, Model 70 Heavy Varminters, 77 VT and heavy barrel Savages to stands many moons ago. A few 24" barrels and a bunch of 26" barrels.

Deer hunted with them as well. Sometimes you cussed them on long drags over muddy fields but normally they weren't terrible.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Gents,
Semper Fidelis
Soup
What did you decide?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.