Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just got a couple texts that said Whitaker’s Guns in Ky is closed due to bankruptcy????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a couple of threads saying the same thing.

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Breaking news...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any sales?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RMerta
Just got a couple texts that said Whitaker’s Guns in Ky is closed due to bankruptcy????
I thought they were expanding....

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know but I'd sure hate to be in the gunshop business and looking for a commercial loan these days for any reason. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hope ya didn't have anything on layaway.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They never really recovered after covid, couldn't get inventory, maybe expanded too much, too fast.

I really liked the old store, but it seemed to lack something with the huge expansion into the new building. Whittaker himself had contacts within the industry that were not kept up with, after his passing, and that hurt them, too. Damned shame, really, they had a nice thing going, and I loved going to the shop, even though it's a two-hour drive from here.

Looking back, though, the last few times I've been to Owensboro, I haven't even though about driving the last 15 miles to the shop, there wasn't any "interesting" stuff in the shop the last few times I made that drive. They used to have all kinds of neat long guns, but not the last few times.

Nowadays, the wife and I might drive down to O-boro for a big lunch at Moonlite, but that's about it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
They never really recovered after covid, couldn't get inventory, maybe expanded too much, too fast.

That is the downfall of many "service" business. The ideas are great, but when the get built, it's too big, too fast.

That happens a lot in MN/WI resorts and bars on the water. A new owner buys it with big ideas. Spends a million on a remodel and the seasonal clientele can't pay the mortgage.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was in the store back several years ago (before Darrel passed) on a week day, late morning, Darrel's wife, Becky, was running the store that morning. I commented that no way could I ever have a successful gun shop because I'd want to keep too many of the guns for myself. She said, 'a lot of folks think that's what Darrel does, but truth is he's really just the opposite'... You know how many guns Darrel really has of his very own -- TWO. Was only one for a long time but the kids and I bought him another gun he'd been wanting. Every time we got one in he liked and said he's going to keep it, put it under he counter but always wind up selling it. First and foremost Darrel was a business man by nature.

Kuegel & Whittaker opening new...ence Messenger-Inquirer Feb 16, 2024 0

Rod Kuegel’s family has farmed in Daviess County for generations.

But now, the family is branching out into retail businesses on the side.

“Most businesses have a higher return on investments than farming,” Kuegel said with a laugh.

He and his son, Clay, own Beef and Bacon Custom Processing in Beech Grove.

And now, his son, Luke Kuegel is getting ready to open Kuegel & Whittaker, a guns and outdoor store, at 1330 Worthington Road, beside Kuegel’s farm shop.

It’s near the intersection with Wyndcrest Drive.

The 7,200-square-foot store will carry an inventory of about $500,000 worth of merchandise, mostly guns, Rod Kuegel said.

Chris Whittaker, Luke Kuegel’s partner in the enterprise, is a member of the family that opened Whittaker Guns in West Louisville in 1988.

In 2017, they opened a new 24,000-square-foot Whittaker Guns superstore there.

It draws customers from all over the country.

People fly private planes into Owensboro so they can shop at Whittaker’s.

Kuegel said Chris Whittaker decided he wanted to go out on his own.

So, Kuegel & Whittaker is slated to open in May.

IBISWorld.com says there were 16,586 gun and ammunition stores in the United States last year.

That represented an increase of 3.2% from 2022.

In fact, the article said, the number of gun and ammunition businesses grew at that same rate every year from 2018 to 2023.

In 2022, 16.2 million firearms were sold in the U.S.

Whittaker Guns Unexpectedly Shuts Doors to Public, Community Seeks Answers

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice AI generated news article.

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The local news is saying that people who ordered firearms are now wanting their money back. The customers are getting stiffed.
I live about 30-40 minutes away. It’s sad but since they opened the new store it hasn’t been the same.
Then the new owner came in and pretty much killed the place.

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ratsmacker as you mentioned you could smell the store dying a long time ago. The last few times I was in there the firearms was sparse.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RMerta
The local news is saying that people who ordered firearms are now wanting their money back. The customers are getting stiffed.
I live about 30-40 minutes away. It’s sad but since they opened the new store it hasn’t been the same.
Then the new owner came in and pretty much killed the place.

That local news video:

Whittaker Guns ‘closed to the public’: Customers want answers about unfulfilled orders

(FYI -- Derrik's dad is an active member and still posting here at the 24 Hour Campfire forums...)

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
No flies on Darik. The man saw a business opportunity and he seized it. It obviously didn’t work out. I wish good things for both Darik and the next generation of Whitaker. America is built on small businesses.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hopefully those customers weren’t disciples of Dave Ramsey and used a CC to pay. They will be able to have the cc company reverse the charges. Those who didn’t are, unfortunately, SOL!

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All the customers who recently placed unfilled orders wanting to know when they will get their money back, don't seem to realize that they are now creditors waiting in line for pennies on the dollar like all the other creditors leading up to the bankruptcy. Even if their gun comes in, paid for, it would be sold to somebody else and the proceeds distributed through bankruptcy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good things always seem to come to an end.

I bought about 4 or 5 rifles via Whitakers... Each was a pleasant experience.

I wish the family well....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice AI generated news article.

Exactly. Anyone familiar with the store knows that it did NOT generate a lot of “foot traffic” for surrounding businesses.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stiffing lots of people is a miserable business model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.