Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Nowhere too warm to ice fish in the winter 🤷‍♂️

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There a lot of places in this country that I consider nice to visit, but. . .

Florida is top of the list. I love the place. My family built down there November-March every year. My dad graduated from Miami Beach High. He would never spend a summer down there. I tend to agree.

I love Wisconsin, but only in the summer. After Labor Day, the place loses its appeal in a big fat hurry. I'd never move there because of the taxes.

The short list of places I would never consider: CA, IL, NY, CT, WA, OR If you don't like my guns, I don't like you.

I'm third gen Cincinnatian. If you look at the history of why I'm here, it can kind of explain why my tastes are the way they are. Dad's side came here in '23 to start over after leaving Marburg. We'd been there since medieval times, and probably a lot longer. We picked Cincinnati, because it had a mild climate, a thriving German population, cheap land and a ready homebuilding market. We didn't like mountains. We didn't like the sea. We didn't like volcanos or earthquakes or deserts. We'd been living on a hill overlooking a river valley since before Teutoburg Forest.

The farm in 63 miles from Cincinnati. I live on a hill overlooking ridges leading down to the river. The land was cheap. There was once a thriving German population. It'll be cheap to build there.

Guns? Someone suggested that I call the sheriff prior to having a Class 3 shoot at the farm. The idea was that with all that ordinance going off, a neighbor might call and I didn't want the deputies showing up thinking it was a drug war. The dispatcher put me on hold and rang up the sheriff. She quickly came back with a thanks for the heads-up, and a request that, should I schedule another one, the sheriff would like to bring his Class3 devices over and share in the shoot.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any part of yankee country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
I love Wisconsin, but only in the summer. After Labor Day, the place loses its appeal in a big fat hurry. I'd never move there because of the taxes.

Of the available times to live in WI - summer is the worst. Easily. WI becomes interesting AFTER labor day, that is if you can and do like to hunt.

Tax wise, we have a graduated income tax - slightly above KY and my property taxes are just a bit over KY too but still around 1/2 the median in the US.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Spring fishing season is good too. Surprisingly good steelhead fishing (to me anyway) in the tributaries to the big lake. And fun fly fishing in the Driftless Area.

Never hunted there, but it looks damn good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Bumfuk Iowa

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by shaman

Of the available times to live in WI - summer is the worst. Easily. WI becomes interesting AFTER labor day, that is if you can and do like to hunt.

Tax wise, we have a graduated income tax - slightly above KY and my property taxes are just a bit over KY too but still around 1/2 the median in the US.

No, WI sucks. Don't waste your time. If you do, check out the Dells and stay south of 21.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by stomatador
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Nothing east of the Great Divide

Nothing west of Nevada

So that leaves UT...NV...MT...AZ...WY...all GTG

I'd add Idaho to that list...crud, I'm only a couple miles away.

I'm ok to visit on the east side of the divide but only a visit. Mountains, desert, conservative values & not too many people.

Correct....overlooked Idaho as GTG

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Portions of TX would probably be OK humidity wise, but there's the dearth of public lands there so TX by choice would likely be out of the question.

I grew up in the very northern part of the Texas Panhandle. Can remember the times driving down to Austin (541 mi) and thinking I'd stepped into a sauna when I got out of the car.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine is a pretty short list with only 49 states on it….

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Bumfuk Iowa

Oh so where would you recommend? We have a great governor, and pretty free state overall

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've crossed and re-crossed the country many times. I've spent considerable time in Alabama, North Carolina, and Florida. Also in upstate New York. I have found that every state has something to offer but it is only in the inland northwest that I feel at home. I like Montana, although the population sometimes seems to be about 40% Californian. I was born in Idaho and spent many of my formative years there. Again, it has become excessively Californicated, but it's still like home. I like Nevada, Las Vegas excepted. I might have fifteen years of hunting left (that may be a little optimistic). After that, it doesn't much matter. GD

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Number one on anyone's list should be New Jersey, Most states have a least one redeeming quality. Not Jersey. That being said . I am convinced life is better for me where I am , no stress , less people and plenty of hunting and fishing, though I do wish there were more panfish to eat............
Well, they do have the Pine Barrens there. It's kind of a redeeming quality.
And as I recall, some decent salt water fishing.
The Pine Barrens is too small an area to provide shelter from the rest of the State, Some decent fishing for Pickerel and such. but not worth any effort . Vineland and the other small towns inland in south Jersey are garbage dumps . The Coast is like every other beach front in the USA anymore except the water looks like NYC street runoff, Oh yea it is........

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Friend of mine is from Jersey heard him tell of the piney ppls

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't settle on moving to Wyoming, It's so cold and windy you will die. The isolation causes insanity like on The Shining.........

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Don't settle on moving to Wyoming, It's so cold and windy you will die. The isolation causes insanity like on The Shining.........
Is that what’s wrong with BuzzH?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
BuzzH has other issues…

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A few places I would like to live ... S.W. Wisconsin, A small part of Upper Michigan, N.E. Iowa , maybe western Missouri . I think I would like S.E . South Dakota . However, there are bad things about these areas too. No place is perfect.. There are a lot of posters here that think that where they live is better than it is. I live in S.E. Wis. Some here say they would never live here, but not so fast. I live in farm country. There is no crime . My taxes on my house and 4 ac. has not gone up in 15 yrs. I have 7,000 ac. of public land 3 miles away . It is not bad for deer , but sure could be better. I can be on Lake Michigan in 1 hr. and catch trout and salmon. I can be on the Mississippi River in 3 hours , and the fishing is so good you would not believe. I can be in some real big woods in NW . Wis. in 4 hours by my cabin on my river. I pay $540 yr. in taxes there . I can be on Green Bay in 2 hours . Some of the best walleye , bass and northern fishing there is. I have a real good walleye lake 26 mi. away that is 138,000 ac. It gets darn cold here , and hot too, but it is not that bad.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It would be tough to go somewhere with less freedoms than I have now.

I suspect I could get along just about anywhere though.

I am MAGA.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.