-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CZ Action, commercial shroud and trigger guard. Timney trigger. Bell and Carlson stock with one of my custom paint jobs. Fully bedded. Douglas Air Gauge barrel chambered in 308 Winchester…. Burris E1 scope 4.5-14x
Now it’s off to the farm to see how she shoots…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by John_Boy; 02/28/24.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice work.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Critique! Not the rifle, but your Thread here.
I noted this Thread the other day. Now again today. I have a suggestion for future posts. You run through a statistical listing of components and work accomplished. For me, just that. Here, a fundamental point missed, the CZ action itself. Details! What is it? The inference I get is perhaps military as reference to "commercial parts perhaps amended.

You've here described a Christmas tree in terms of "ornaments". Perhaps if you'd described as said more about that action, but perhaps adding too, your anticipated use. How you came to choose the action and particular consideration of benefits for you.

I'm not suggesting you go back now and amend. But, excuse me, your photo shows a - to me - generic rifle. One made personal and of comment where you speak more of it in a personal sense in relation to you and perhaps general application.

I'm frankly at the opposite extreme perhaps of boring some folks to death with wordy Posts! So perhaps I shouldn't rise to critique, but you likely have a worthy rifle here of wider comment. Just more details. For instance why you chose the scope and what your overall expectations and why an "off the shelf rifle" wouldn't meet your expectations.

Certainly not to offend here. But the "Dragnet" program of old, Detective Joe Friday... "Just the Facts mam!" Approach doesn't garner much results here.

Just my take!
Best!
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s a great paint job!

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats, you put together a nice rig there John Boy.

I agree with Pappy, it looks great.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you gentlemen.
As far as the details… let’s call the barreled action a gun show purchase. I can’t write about something of which I have no knowledge. Hence the few words…

Last edited by John_Boy; 03/02/24.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it shoots as good as it looks, you got yourself a winner!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll know by tomorrow afternoon.
Headed to the farm after church....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Let us know how she shoots John. Dang good lookin' rig!!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, back from the farm.
Let me preface this by acknowledging the valuable help from Al Nyhus for his advice on this and other stocks. Not to mention his outstanding work on previous Remington stocks of mine.
I started with this ammo when the barreled action rested in a nice plain walnut stock that the previous owner had bedded.

Results were a1.75" group.
Purchased a Bell and Carlson stock with the aluminum frame and bedded it.
Reloaded the previously shot brass with:

The results: 100 yards.

200 yards

300 yards

The Timney trigger needs adjusting.

Next stop, a new bolt handle from Kampfeld and the bottom metal Cerakoted.

The only drawback.... It doesn't like to be cycled slowly. Typical Mauser. Cycle it quickly and everything is great.

Last edited by John_Boy; 03/03/24.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Great job, it does shoot as good as it looks.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice rifle.

How much H4831SC did you use and what velocity did you get? I recently tried 48 grains with a 150-grain Partition and got 2,245 fps in a 20" barrel. Accuracy was good enough that I'd use it with a 30-30 bullet for blacktails in the brush.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
OUTSTANDING!!! Great write up and pics!

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Powder charge was 45.5 grains.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Great work, all around!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know who did the action work, but it's my guess the previous owner sold it due to its or accuracy. I think the poor accuracy was due to a pre bedding job. I bought the Belk and Carlson stick and did a bit of minor fitting. The greatest amount of work was opening up and then bedding the barrel channel. I also bedded the action to the stock even though it has an aluminum frame. Variations in matters can allow for a gap here and there especially at the recoil lug. I ran it past Al Nyhus and he definitely recommended it.
The previous owner gave up a good one. It's all in the details......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who can install a bolt knob like this one on my Remington on my 98???

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn't as completed as I thought. Just added this bolt handle....

Last edited by John_Boy; 04/11/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats and I am enjoying the campfire comments and vibe in this thread. I know some seem to poo poo B and C stocks but long ago I replaced a factory Browning synthetic with one and immediately that rifle turned into a shooter and felt recoil became a non-issue.

I have a cz550 . Bolt has always been less than what I might call slick but it shoots anything I put in it. Love having people try out the set trigger just for the look on their face first time they touch one off.

If anyone here remembers a great old member by the handle of Karnis (Carlos) I happened to meet him in person at a nearby range and discovered who he was back in earlier days of this forum. He took the rifle and redid the stock for gratis.

Maybe that accounts for my comment about the good vibe on this thread.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,973
Posts18,480,717
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.