Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I have a Rem sendero in .300 rum that groups all the heavy bullets (that I have tried) in what seem to me to be very loose groups. Some being 2"+ @ 100 yards. OTOH she loves light weight bullets with heavy powder charges.

I'm not a hard core shooter, (100's of rounds/year) and I'm not a "long range" hunter, more bow actually. I was curious if I should keep burning gobs of powder and buying big hunks of lead or just roll with what she likes, which is H-1000 and 150-165 gr into a <1" @ 200 yards.

For me it is just playing and not likely to lead to me shooting elk @ 800 yards. Though the gun/load is suitable. Is the BC and wind drift worth the hassle for a hobby shooter?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trip it and get something good,wearing good glass. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft has ruined me for fighting other rifles to get them to shoot.

It's stupid easy to find a good load, and stupid easy to shoot well.

I have one 308 remaining, and can't think of a single reason I'd be shooting a 300 RUM again (had two, they are gone now).

I "hobby shoot" easy to load for and light recoiling rifles these days.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it were mine I’d ship it to southern precision rifles and have a 7prc barrel screwed on.

With that said, what bullets (heavies) have you tried and did you just seat bullets and dump powder and hope for the best or did you try different powders and weights and vary seating depth? Also have you checked the concentricity of your loads with heavy bullets?

I just worked with a buddy’s 280AI that shot light bullets well but heavies poorly. The seating die was seating lighter short nosed bullets squarely but VLD’s out of round. A new collet seating die and the heavies seated straight and now he’s pounding steel way out there with 180 VLD’s.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have the same gun. Have fed it nothing but 230gr otm's. The power is badass, but that would be the first gun sold. Gimmee my .22's an .243's

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
My 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft has ruined me for fighting other rifles to get them to shoot.

It's stupid easy to find a good load, and stupid easy to shoot well.

I have one 308 remaining, and can't think of a single reason I'd be shooting a 300 RUM again (had two, they are gone now).

I "hobby shoot" easy to load for and light recoiling rifles these days.

Yep. If one likes migraines and going to the dentist, go with a 300RUM. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I wonder if the days are limited for these magnums. Seems more and more, we are shooting smaller rounds. At $65 lb for IMR 4350, $90/1,000 for primers and if you can even get LR primers anymore . I went from a .270 Win. to a .243 Win. Cut my loads 12 grains of powder and cheaper bullets. I will likely use a .223 Rem. soon for deer. Then I am using half the powder , half the bullet and i can still get small primers .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If it were me I’d dump the barrel and stock, too wide of palm swell, too heavy of a barrel/contour (made with #3 and #4 sporting contours) for long day carry. I’d opt for a new barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC with 24” barrel with #2 Rem sporter contour and grab a Sheep Hunter Bansner stock. Even though the 6.5 PRC is a 2.995 COAL it is typically offered on long actions for OEM offerings as there aren’t many WSM length OEM actions available to accommodate and only Winchester 70s offer about a 3.05” length SA magnum action. Other aftermarket action builders exist, but now you’d be at an extreme price point to start from scratch. The 7mm PRC is certainly a choice, but a 6.5 PRC is every bit as accurate and much more pleasurable to shoot and hit targets and game close and far away. It’s simply a much better designed 6.5/284 Norma ballistically and there’s nothing wrong with toting a 6.5mm in the field in any configuration. Not sure where you reside but it would make a nice one gun for carry and most hunting needs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rossimp
If it were me I’d dump the barrel and stock, too wide of palm swell, too heavy of a barrel/contour (made with #3 and #4 sporting contours) for long day carry. I’d opt for a new barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC with 24” barrel with #2 Rem sporter contour and grab a Sheep Hunter Bansner stock. Even though the 6.5 PRC is a 2.995 COAL it is typically offered on long actions for OEM offerings as there aren’t many WSM length OEM actions available to accommodate and only Winchester 70s offer about a 3.05” length SA magnum action. Other aftermarket action builders exist, but now you’d be at an extreme price point to start from scratch. The 7mm PRC is certainly a choice, but a 6.5 PRC is every bit as accurate and much more pleasurable to shoot and hit targets and game close and far away. It’s simply a much better designed 6.5/284 Norma ballistically and there’s nothing wrong with toting a 6.5mm in the field in any configuration. Not sure where you reside but it would make a nice one gun for carry and most hunting needs.

7-6.5PRCW would scratch a 7mm itch on that action too.

Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it were mine I’d ship it to southern precision rifles and have a 7prc barrel screwed on.

With that said, what bullets (heavies) have you tried and did you just seat bullets and dump powder and hope for the best or did you try different powders and weights and vary seating depth? Also have you checked the concentricity of your loads with heavy bullets?

I just worked with a buddy’s 280AI that shot light bullets well but heavies poorly. The seating die was seating lighter short nosed bullets squarely but VLD’s out of round. A new collet seating die and the heavies seated straight and now he’s pounding steel way out there with 180 VLD’s.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like the honeymoon is over.
Won't shoot the bullet weights that it was designed for.
And cannons don't make great hobby guns.
Russell Wilson it and get something fun to shoot.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Even in a chassis with a decent brake, that gun will wear you out

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have to agree with what others have already posted here. I would send it down the road or turn it into something else also. Shooting a gun that kicks hard and shooting 2"+ @ 100 yards is just not fun. In fact it is pretty aggravating.

I think I'm getting soft in my old age. I have sent my magnum rifles down the road 375, 300, and 7mm. I even let the 280AI go. Its a lot more fun shooting guns that will shoot tight little groups that don't kick much.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bring mine up every so often. But lobbing 223 and 243 rounds across a canyon is just so much more fun. Not to mention cheaper. There aint a damn thing thats cheap about a 300rum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Rossimp

7-6.5PRCW would scratch a 7mm itch on that action too.

Sounds an awfully lot like the .270 Westerner.

GR

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
So I’m to understand that a quality 150 or 165 grain bullet traveling at 300 rum velocity won’t kill an elk at any sane distance. Accuracy of one inch at 200 yards is just an added benefit. Just go hunting. Edk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.