-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I was wondering if I will be taking to much a gamble Buying a 700 MTN SS of more recent build. this is a gun that appears to be built around 2019, and is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It ticks off a lot of boxes of what I'm looking for for a backpack gun to hunt mostly Mule Dear and Black Bear in the wilderness, But i am really heastant based on reports of poor quality in newer built Remington guns. This gun is brand new and has been sitting on the self of the store for a while, and the asking price is 850 which seem reasonable. Am i overthinking this?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The only 6.5 Creedmoor Rem 700 Mountain rifles I seen were newer models. Older Stainless Rem 700's will have "S" prefix, newer ones have "RR" I believe.

Last edited by duke61; 03/05/24.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by MaxCanyon
I was wondering if I will be taking to much a gamble Buying a 700 MTN SS of more recent build. this is a gun that appears to be built around 2019, and is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It ticks off a lot of boxes of what I'm looking for for a backpack gun to hunt mostly Mule Dear and Black Bear in the wilderness, But i am really heastant based on reports of poor quality in newer built Remington guns. This gun is brand new and has been sitting on the self of the store for a while, and the asking price is 850 which seem reasonable. Am i overthinking this?

Yes. You are crazy. Buy it now and never look back

M
OP Offline
M
Yes, do the newer ones shoot well though, are the quality issues overblown for Remington built right before the bankruptcy? My only experience with model 700's are with the older ones which were all nice rifles, and good shooters.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Prose, it seems like a good deal considering what the same gun is listed for on gun broker.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im another one that'll tell you to buy it. You can't build it for that price. All you gotta do is replace the trigger and you are gtg.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
G
Bought one, a 6.5 CM, four years ago to go with my custom heavy sporter. With my Leupold 3.5x10 weighs 7.2 #. Likes 130 Game Changers and 130 Berger VLD Hunters. It likes 43 gr of H4350 with both bullets. I have shot some sub 1/2" 3 shot groups with both loads. Put the front sandbag just at the front guard screw. I like the Bell and Carson stock, oh and the Timney Calvin Elite trigger set at 2#. Each load shoots at a different POI elevation wise. Set 45 inch pounds torque on the guard screws. I really like the rifle as lighter weapons are difficult for me shoot well at my age, and I don't care to carry heavier ones either. I live in south Texas so its just right for that venue.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no experience with the current Remington products, so I can't comment. However, I have lots of experience with Tikkas; their quality is very good, and they're very accurate. For $850 you should be able to find a stainless T3x 6.5 Creedmoor that checks all of your boxes. And you won't have to spend extra $$ to replace the trigger!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks For the responses everyone.
Ingwe i was thinking it seemed a lot of gun for the money so thanks for talking me into it.
Mt DD Fan, i have definitely looked at the tikkas, and I will concede every good point people say about them, and know I cant go wrong with it, but every time i pick one up the cheap feel of the stock really turns me off, then I look at the plastic bottom metal. and I fell no desire to own or hunt with one. It's a shame that such a well built rifle has such a feeling. eventually I would want to replace all that stuff and then all the sudden I'm cross shopping it with 2000 dollar rifles and it doesn't look so attractive.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

My 2019 vintage 700 5R Milspec in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots extremely well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
I have no experience with the current Remington products, so I can't comment. However, I have lots of experience with Tikkas; their quality is very good, and they're very accurate. For $850 you should be able to find a stainless T3x 6.5 Creedmoor that checks all of your boxes. And you won't have to spend extra $$ to replace the trigger!

Exactly what I was thinking. Tikkas do have a lot of plastic on them, but every one I have shot has been extremely accurate.

FWIW: SW has the Tikka T3X Superlights on sale for $859 currently. Multiple chamberings if the 6.5CM is not your preferred round.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
I bought a very slightly used Remington 700 Mountain SS in 2018 chambered in .30-06. I am extremely happy with the rifle. The stock is very solid and fits me perfectly. The recoil pad works great. The stainless finish is really good. It functions perfectly, and shoots very, very well. I really like the trigger, it's not a Timney, but it is really crisp with no overtravel. The rifle just plain works, and I am glad I bought it. The bottom metal is not finished as smoothly as my other M700's of earlier manufacture dates, but it does not detract from the rifle in my opinion. I love the thin contour barrel! Overall, I would surely buy it if you like it, I wouldn't think twice!

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Everyone for your input. I did go ahead and buy it. They had one more there as well wish I could have bought the second too. if anyone is in Northeastern Oregon and wants one at a good good price ill send the store details.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't believe Rem Arms Made any of the Mountain Rifles. Therefor ir should be a Remington pre buy out. $850 is a nice price in todays market. You will get you money back if your not happy with it. Rem Arms need to bring back the model Seven and the 700 Mountain rifles. Plus the 7600's!

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I just bought a used one in 280 but the scope it came with was bad. I like the rifle alot. Waiting for the scope to come back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (16penny, 12savage, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,895
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.