Print Thread
Hop To
#19275528 03/06/24
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A Friend use to raise a flare box wagon load every year.
Any raise a lot of potatoes?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
100 pd evry yr

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not me but Dad used to supply the whole family. One garden near the house which when ready we ate from, even a bit early so as to get the little ones. Loved those little ones!!! Another potatoe garden up on the ridge, better soil just below the limestone. He would supply, us + seeders kept in the basement in the dark. Moms two sisters & there family's, her brothers family and one cousins family. Lotsa hoeing & tilling. He started growing giant squash, ? Why??? Not a squash eater. Grew one 85lbs!!! Had to move it around with the tractor bucket. Of coarse there was every thing else in the garden you could imagine. Living on the farm we were never rich but we sure weren't hungry. The garden & all the preserves & pickles Mom put up, nothing better & always fresh. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Interesting topic. I have tried it, but instructions say after digging them let cure out in the open and store in cool place.It also says do not eat them with a green coloring in the skin.. I don't have any place to store them where it is cool, that doesn't freeze in the winter.
Any advice would g be greatly appreciated.

When growing up many years ago, my father would buy 100 pound sacks of them from a farmer. With six of us it didn't last long. Everything else we grew.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, not sure about cold, but definetly kept in the dark. Even then they will start sprouting near spring, but just cut them up with 1or2 sprouts for seeders. Maybe even under a set of stairs in a finished basement?? GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason or another, I have trouble keeping potatoes over the winter. I used to never buy potatoes until spring. But, with the price of them not being all that unreasonable, we've just decided to buy them rather than try and keep them. I'll plant 10 pounds or so, red and Kennebacs, so we'll have some to eat out of the garden. Gone are those days when we'd buy a 50 pound bag of seed potatoes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grow about 50-75 lbs. I usually can about 14 quarts. We eat "new potatoes " then cure and store the rest. Whats left are sprouting now and will be planted in about a month.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gonna try these things this year. Guy at work says they're the easiest way ever to grow taters, and that joker does nothing BUT grow food year round.

My garden lot needs too much work to be ready for this year so I'm gonna do a few down and dirty garden beds down by the house for a few things. Digging potatoes last year was like busting concrete and they didn't grow very big at all. Piss poor soil.

Thought about using old tires for a tater tower, but nah. Lumber is too high, so nah, and I don't have the time to mill any out this spring. Guess I'll try these bag things with some good soil and straw. Just need enough for a few canners full and some for frying.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.