Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Coat the affected area with K2r spot remover and place in your hot car. Brush off and repeat as necessary.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WStrayer
For removal of the grease used to pack old mitary surplus, I have used cat litter, wrapped the stock in brown paper, and laid it on the dash of a car in the sun.
I didn't use cat litter but I used paper towels and stuffed them in the stock next to the oily portion and put it in a black plastic bag. Then set it all out in the sun for a couple of days. I'm sure toilet paper would work as well. But, stuff the paper towels in tight against the oily wood then get it out in the sun.

For stocks I didn't care about the finish I put in a hot tube of bathwater and I even did one in the wife's dishwasher. I had to run the dishwasher a second time to get the oil smell out of it but it sure got the stock clean.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American
You can also try Brownell's whiting compound. Mix it with acetone to the consistency of pancake batter. Maybe a more controlled process if you're worried about the finish.

This if you want it done right. If you're interested in quick and don't mind risks try everything mentioned here.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I refinished a couple of stocks before and bought some powder from Brownells for removing oil. I mixed it with methanol to make a paste and spread it on the oily area. I let it sit a day then brushed it off. If I remember I did it 3 times to remove all of the oil.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Rapier
Get the left over oil out using powdered white chalk. Go to a craft store get a box of white writing chalk and use a large flat bastard file, cut a good pile of chalk dust, Put the end of the stock in a plastic bag, pour the chalk over the top of the effected area, submerged in chalk, put a rubber band around the bag, let the chalk covered wood set, end down for 24 hours. The oil will be aubsorbed, if any is left, set it outside in the sun, in a black plastic bag. Sun is a cheap oven.

Or buy the chalk powder from amazon. But the chalk does work.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.