Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#19277226 03/07/24
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I dont currently have one but have had some fine 270 rifles over the years. If I was “forced” to only have one big game rifle, a .270 would do me fine.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/27...7ahcHJ1RXB518yQP__rlfIA2bt-ICjRTA3R1KIAg

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with a 270. I have a Win 70 Classic Featherweight with an older 3x9 Leupold compact on it. One load for everything.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Assuming a 700,they make GREAT donors. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That was a good read - thanks.

I’ve owned and hunted my one and only .270 since the late 60’s.
I bought it for all of the reasons mentioned in the article and it’s worked great for all the same reasons.
I keep waiting for the manufacture’s to “update” the .270 in the same manner as the .223 or a few .243’s by giving the .270 a faster twist barrel to run the new rage of longer, heavier bullets......

I think it was JB....? Or someone here that said he ran some 170’ish gr bullets out of a 1/10 .270 and that they stabilized ok..... that would be interesting and worth a look.

I feel the advent and use of the laser range finder has most of us rethinking what we use and how.......
These days I’m content with my 6.5CM and heavy for caliber long, sleek bullets and dialing my drops.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I have a Winchester Featherweight .270 Winchester.
A better picture of the rifle, it has a Leupold 6x on it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always liked my 270. Before that my 30-06 got everything done. These days I mostly use my 7mm08 for killing Alabama Whitetails. No idea whats next……

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The .270 is just as effective on game today as it was 100 years ago. We simply have more options available today than 100 years ago. A LH KS 270 is my "go to" center fire rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I always liked my 270. Before that my 30-06 got everything done. These days I mostly use my 7mm08 for killing Alabama Whitetails. No idea whats next……
Have had all and am now relying on a Custom Shop 700 in 7-08 for the local whitetails. If I do any traveling for other critters it will probably go along.

Just change bullets depending on critters being hunted.

.270, .280, 7-08 all very hard to beat but there are others that can and do just as well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m a big fan of 270’s…….OH wait, that’s bullet weight! 🤔 Never mind! 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I've hunted with a .270 since 1988 with a Steyr Mannlicher Mod M Professional that I bought in the Graf R&G club.

It's positively my favorite open country deer caliber. Finally shot the barrel out a couple years ago, so I replaced it with a Nolser M48 in .270. When this barrels gone I'll probably re-barrel with a fast twist in .270.

Some guys will try to compare it to the 6.5C with it's higher BC bullets, but with similar BC bullets the .270Win still out runs it to close to 800 yds, well beyond the distances that the vast majority of hunters are killing game.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by memtb
Going to try 270 grain Hornady bullets in my .375 RUM. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The .270 Win is hardly ever a bad choice for western big game and plains game hunting. It just flat out works. However, most traditional hunting rounds the same can be said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve hunted with the 30-06 and the 280 much more than the 270. It would be hard to pick one between the three. I don’t use factory ammo, so there’s that.
I’m thinking the 280, but that’s maybe because my favorite 280 is one very accurate rifle. But there’s no hairs on the 270’s or 30-06’s either.

I suspect that if a guy starts with a very accurate rifle in any rifles chambered in one of these three, it will likely be his/her favorite.

If a guy uses factory ammo then that might make a difference too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Buyer Beware! 😁

I loved the .270 gr. SP’s the older flat base) in my retired H&H…..not so much at the higher velocities from my AI, at least on close range shots. I shot a spike bull elk @ around 80 yards, behind the shoulder hitting only a rib. Yes, the elk promptly died, one large jump before expiration. However, the bullet failed to exit! ☹️ It gave the perfect, classic mushroom, retaining about 65% of it’s original weight. I suspect that, it expanded so rapidly and lost it’s weight very early in it’s path……that penetration suffered!

I really expect exists, no demand with my .375’s, especially broadside hits on smallish elk if only rib meat and lungs are encountered! I still love the Hornady’s …..just not at higher velocities from my AI.

I hope that they work for you! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/07/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if part of the 270's popularity was that for many years after it came out, there was no other cartridge of .277 dia bore and thus the bullets were designed to work at that specific velocity window. In most other cases (pardon the pun) like .257 caliber, the same bullet might be loaded in a 250 Savage or 25-06 which lead to bullet failures and inspired the likes of Nosler to design better bullets.
In any case the 270 works and will continue to put meat in the freezer long after we are all gone.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Count me a fan. With RL26 and 150s at 3000+, short of big bears, there’s little I’d feel unprepared for. Having said, the good old 130g Hornady Spire Points or Partitions never cease to impress me.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Buyer Beware! 😁

I loved the .270 gr. SP’s the older flat base) in my retired H&H…..not so much at the higher velocities from my AI, at least on close range shots. I shot a spike bull elk @ around 80 yards, behind the shoulder hitting only a rib. Yes, the elk promptly died, one large jump before expiration. However, the bullet failed to exit! ☹️ It gave the perfect, classic mushroom, retaining about 65% of it’s original weight. I suspect that, it expanded so rapidly and lost it’s weight very early in it’s path……that penetration suffered!

I really expect exists, no demand with my .375’s, especially broadside hits on smallish elk if only rib meat and lungs are encountered! I still love the Hornady’s …..just not at higher velocities from my AI.

What do you think about 2750-2800 fps with the Hornady's, just right or still too fast?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Got 2 they work👍

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hunted with one for 25 years until I discovered the 708, that with 120nbt I don't think I'll ever go back to the 270.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Throughout most of my hunting life I've probably used the 30-06 more than anything else. I'd guess the 30-30 and .308 Win.might be tied for second place with the .270 in the number three spot. The 7x57 and .280 Rem. tied for last place mostly because they've been in my stable the shortest amount of time. Time in the field with any particular cartridge more a matter of choice than anything else. Frankly, for whatever shooting and hunting I might do in the future I could close my eyes turn around and use whichever one my hand touched exclusively and never look back.

I have used the .270 on occasion but for one reason or another usually picked something else. When I finally got a chance to do an antelope hunt the .270 was my first choice. The back up rifle was a 7x57.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Buyer Beware! 😁

What do you think about 2750-2800 fps with the Hornady's, just right or still too fast?

Just right…..that’s about what I was running them in my H&H. Jumping the velocity another 2 or 3 hundred with the AI was a bit much (IMO) for close-up shots. I really like them, and bought a 1000 round “blem” package of them from Lock, Stock, & Barrel before they closed-up shop! memtb

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Memtb!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 has always been a personal favorite and I believe there will always be one in my safe. It's better today than ever, mostly because bullets are better than they ever have been. It's very close to the widely popular 6.5 PRC and stacks and feeds well from a BDL magazine. A 270 with a 150 Partition will handle about anything you may encounter in the lower 48.

My current 270 doesn't get used much these days as I have other rifles that keep me entertained but it's about perfect. A Win 70 from the 90s with a what I believe is a #2 Shilen stainless barrel in a McM featherweight stock with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50 scope. It's never let me down!

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/07/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The smell of sagebrush and a 270 go hand in hand. I doubt there is a more "Western" cartridge...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Jack O’Conner spoke highly of it👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Memtb!

You bet, I hope that you can find the magic formula. With the load I was using, they were superbly accurate in my rifle! Though, it was several grains above listed maximum in several manuals! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/07/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad is a shotgun loony.

He owns exactly 1 centerfire rifle, lol!

Its a Browning ABolt 2 in .270win. Kills deer every year. Was shooting Hornady 130gr SST Superformance. Had shoulder surgery, doc told him to take it easy. Got him some Hornady Lite, its a 120gr SST at about 2600. Rezeroed his gun and kept right on killin stuff.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too bad that the 270,can't even begin to fhuqking keep pace with the 22-250 based 264 Kreedmire. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
There is a plethora of cartridges that perform as well as the .270 Win and If I deer hunted the Western states a .270 Win would be a top choice but as I only hunt Eastern Whitetails in the "big woods" where 80 yards is a rather long shot I settled on the .308 Win as My huckleberry....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
That was a good read - thanks.

I’ve owned and hunted my one and only .270 since the late 60’s.
I bought it for all of the reasons mentioned in the article and it’s worked great for all the same reasons.
I keep waiting for the manufacture’s to “update” the .270 in the same manner as the .223 or a few .243’s by giving the .270 a faster twist barrel to run the new rage of longer, heavier bullets......

I think it was JB....? Or someone here that said he ran some 170’ish gr bullets out of a 1/10 .270 and that they stabilized ok..... that would be interesting and worth a look.

I feel the advent and use of the laser range finder has most of us rethinking what we use and how.......
These days I’m content with my 6.5CM and heavy for caliber long, sleek bullets and dialing my drops.

He also did an article comparing it using 150gr AB or ABLRs (I forget) over RL26 at 3000fps. Beat or equaled the 6.5 CM 147gr on trajectory, wind deflection, and retained velocity out to 500 yards, and no doubt energy too, the penalty being more recoil. Doesn’t make it a better overall choice for everyone, but it is a choice, and a sound one for hunting.

I like the 160gr NP for here in the East, and my son really likes it. Just asked me to load up some more for him as he’s about out. I load a middle of the road charge of W780, of which I still have just over a pound. Every deer he’s shot, and the one I shot using that mild load has just flopped. No doubt 150s would be about the same.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I hunt whitetails in ‘big woods’ and everywhere else, with 270s (and other stuff, too). The 270 works just as good up close as my 308s or other stuff. wink I am also fond of the 7-08 and the 120NBTs are a good combo….but don’t know of a single thing it does better than a comparable load in a 270.

MOF, my 6.8 SPCs punch above their weight class, too.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/07/24.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Killed most animals with either 30-06 or 270 Win, use 30-06 for elk and 270 for deer and antelope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been a fan of the 270. Ya, I know it's been effective for years. The 270 is just like a duck-shhitt green 4-door 1974 Ford LTD or Chevy Impala, although as bland as watered down hot chocolate, they worked fine for their purpose and got you there, that's for sure.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I put this one together on a 700. 26 inch Hart bbl, MPI stock, timney trigger. I did the blueprint and build myself. She shoots really tight with 130 Accubonds and sends the 150 Ballistic tip down range at 2960. Looking forward to the bean fields next season!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Great lookin' rig Longshot!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
No problem with the 270 win. Never had it fail to hold up and get the job done. 130 horn sp was allways a good bullet in them but I have no doubt the idiots at Hornady will discontinue them in the future. Simply because Hornady fugs up like that all the time. While others anxiously await high bc bullets and tighter twists I have procured a bunch of older 150 gr rn bullets to experience. I once had a 20" m70 carbine it was to loud even with plugs and muffs. Now days most of mine are 22-26" the longer the better. I have more than a couple bags of 130 E tips to try. Old? But still viable with lots of options..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^ I had an M70 Classic Stainless whacked off to 18” and threaded for suppressor use. It’s one of my ‘woods’ guns. Hearing safe, recoils less than a 243, and more accurate than before. Crazy to lose 6” of barrel? Benefits were worth it. I have other 22-24” 270s.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Kimber 270 BGR I need to get a scope on, try it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 270 has always been a personal favorite and I believe there will always be one in my safe. It's better today than ever, mostly because bullets are better than they ever have been. It's very close to the widely popular 6.5 PRC and stacks and feeds well from a BDL magazine. A 270 with a 150 Partition will handle about anything you may encounter in the lower 48.

My current 270 doesn't get used much these days as I have other rifles that keep me entertained but it's about perfect. A Win 70 from the 90s with a what I believe is a #2 Shilen stainless barrel in a McM featherweight stock with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50 scope. It's never let me down!

Well said. I keep a favorite 270 myself.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You have the coolest rifles! :-)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I have thought of converting over to LH just to covet your stuff whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have probably my share: 3 pre-64 M-70s and and 1 M-54 NRA original short rifle in 270 WCF. The first rifle was a lucky M-70, accounting for antelope and
Coues whitetail in NM-AZ. O'Connor was mostly right.
Now they may be chasing AL whitetails or back out west for mule deer.
The cartridge and rifle combination just works in early Winchesters. One is carrying a Lyman Alaskan in Buehler mts and rings.
I like to rescue older unappreciated M-70s. Latest rescue came from CO with a McM stock and 22 in barrel-a featherweight which has the Leupold 20 yr old
original M8-4X scope topside. A working cartridge. Do not own any WSMs and don''t plan to. Model 71s in 348 have taken deer to moose and have filled in the other part of the freezer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I have thought of converting over to LH just to covet your stuff whistle

LOL grin

You both have VERY cool rifles...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been messing with my old 270 a bit with the 124 HH's. I am still scratching my head a bit on them to be honest, cause they are fast. I know they reported to be faster on average than other bullets with more bearing surface. I started out and have been using H4831SC in mine with WW cases. As of right now, I have used the same cases for 5X firings and can't see anything resembling pressure on them at all. They come out of the gun so slick and nice with perfect looking primers. Accuracy has been pretty fair so far as well.

Until I started bumping charges up accuracy was sorta okay, not good but not terrible either.

I got up to 64 grains and it started doing better. They say the Hammer's are insensitive to seating depth and at least in the 4 rifles I have been messing with, that is complete BS. They act just like any other bonded or mono bullet and want some jump.

This load is a full .090 off the lands and I just loaded another 6 ten thou shorter to see if I can pull it together a hair.

I did wing three at 400 yesterday just to see what they look like at distance and feel like it might hit an elk whistle

I won't even list the speed as it might turn this thread into a poo slinging match, but a few others around this place are using them and seeing the same stuff.

Anyhow, pretty cool to blend out 2024 awesome bullets with 1955 rifles.. Those old Winchesters aren't too bad.. Kinda makes me wanna use the old 270 a bit more this year.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Y’all need to stop talking up the 270 or you’ll cost me more money. I own exactly 1. A 1968 model 760 that will stack 150 round noses like it was a bolt gun. I just used my last stainless action on a 35W but went back and forth for several months between the 35W and 270.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
Y’all need to stop talking up the 270 or you’ll cost me more money. I own exactly 1. A 1968 model 760 that will stack 150 round noses like it was a bolt gun. I just used my last stainless action on a 35W but went back and forth for several months between the 35W and 270.

Both is the answer.. Pretty dynamic pair of cartridges. grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Both is the answer.. Pretty dynamic pair of cartridges. grin

Yeah, just get the .270 and that way you have both. When is more guns not a good thing? I have exactly one .270 Win rifle and it’s a Ruger American my wife won 10+ years ago. My son claimed it, but has moved to a 6.5 PRC, so I started loading for the .270 Win. I have even loaded up 165 gr. ABLR’s in it, but at 33ft above sea level where we shoot at it and they will not stabilize. I blew my first primer ever Thursday trying to test the 165’s and RL22. I’m going to go pull the remaining three and stick with 130-150 gr. bullets.

Last edited by Hudge; 03/10/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m tempted to re-barrel one of mine with a fast twist to run the heavier stuff….just because.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I like the 160gr NP for here in the East, and my son really likes it. Just asked me to load up some more for him as he’s about out. I load a middle of the road charge of W780, of which I still have just over a pound. Every deer he’s shot, and the one I shot using that mild load has just flopped. No doubt 150s would be about the same.

The 160 NPt is a bulldozer on elk. More so, it seems the BC is a bit underrated by Nosler. It shoots flatter than any of the ballistic calculators said it would.

My only problem is this load uses IMR7977 which I have a limited supply of. So I’m kind’ve hoarding this load in case I’m assaulted by any zombie brontosauruses….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tons of guns chambered in 270. Lots of reasonably cheap factory ammo. Cheap brass. Big bullet selection. Eats most powders. Medium recoil. Flat hunting ranges trajectory. Probably the best, non army, no nonsense hunting cartridge in North America.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After 50 years of not even wanting a .270, but lots of experience hunting wth family and friends who used .270 rifles and demonstrated that it was a very capable cartridge, I finally got one a few months ago. Kinda by accident, it was a nice Sauer 202 switch barrel rifle that came with several barrels, one of them a .270. Now I'm intrigued.

I have hunted with other similar cartridges that I have a fair bit of experience with, such as 25-06 and 7x64, so I don't expect any surprises. For where I live on the northern plains, a .270 is "just right" for a lot of our hunting. Pronghorns, Mule deer, and Whitetails in the open. I don't intend to load it with any bullet weight other than the classic 130 grain. But then I don't want a generalist rifle, I will use it for medium game at medium to longish ( for me) range. It should do the trick.

For the other type of hunting we do here, Moose, Elk, and Bears in the northern bush, the 9.3x62 barrel seems more suitable to me.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/10/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What will make the .270 Winchester/150 gr./2800 fps. meat-gitter obsolete?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"... a phased plasma rifle, in the 40-watt range."

GR

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A 160 grain at 2800!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Memtb!

You bet, I hope that you can find the magic formula. With the load I was using, they were superbly accurate in my rifle! Though, it was several grains above listed maximum in several manuals! memtb
Memtb, turns out that I have the .375 RUM loaded up with 250 grain North Fork bullets. Going to use the 270 grain Hornady's in my Whitworth .375 H&H instead.

Thank you for your info I appreciate it very much.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
270, 30-06, or 308 and you will be able to buy ammo if any ammo is to be had. All 3 will do the job on 99% of anything you want to shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RHClark
270, 30-06, or 308 and you will be able to buy ammo if any ammo is to be had. All 3 will do the job on 99% of anything you want to shoot.

I'd add the 6.5 CM to that very good list. Here in the middle of elk country, you can count more 6.5 CM SKU's on the shelves than any of the other three, and by a large margin over the 270 and 30-06. Typically second place for availability after the Creedmoor is the 308 Win. It's really amazing how the CM has taken off...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Load your own ammo , shoot any cartridge you want anywhere, all the damned time. Pretty simple if you think about it , ammo is your responsibility not someone else's.
Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/13/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Load your own ammo , shoot any cartridge you want anywhere, all the damned time. Pretty simple if you think about it , ammo is your responsibility not someone else's.
Mb

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nobody Brad, just a simple statement of fact. Shooters need to move on from the mind set of some store or factory allways having the ammo they need, when they want it, for how much they want to pay. Ammo business don't work that way anymore. Mb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Memtb!

Memtb, turns out that I have the .375 RUM loaded up with 250 grain North Fork bullets. Going to use the 270 grain Hornady's in my Whitworth .375 H&H instead.

Thank you for your info I appreciate it very much.

You bet, I hope that it works good for you! Good Luck on your hunt! memtb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody Brad, just a simple statement of fact. Shooters need to move on from the mind set of some store or factory allways having the ammo they need, when they want it, for how much they want to pay. Ammo business don't work that way anymore. Mb

Most hunters don't handload - that's a fact.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Would agree to that but it doesn't change the fact that ammo accessibility has changed and the factory ammo buyers need to note that and change buying habits to keep themselves in ammo. To many shortages in the last 20 years should have taught them that..mb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would agree to that but it doesn't change the fact that ammo accessibility has changed and the factory ammo buyers need to note that and change buying habits to keep themselves in ammo. To many shortages in the last 20 years should have taught them that..mb

No they don't. They can actually do whatever the [bleep] they want

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
even Elmer Kieth talked well of the 270 as a plains/stalking cartridge. He seemed to hate the 30-06 though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The majority of hunters aren't handloaders.

I wouldn't even consider the majority of hunters to be "shooters"

But your point is still valid. Ammo availability and pricing should be driving more to the reloading bench.

And the idea that .30-06, .308 etc will always be available is no longer the case.

- Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My first gun was a 270 Win. It was a good gun. I also got a 270 WSM. I like both guns. I find myself going back to the 270 Win more and more. I got a 30.06 a donor for a 270 Win with a 26 inch barrel. Then I found a 270 with a 26 inch barrel, so that project is on hold. This summer I plan to check it out and see how 26 inch 270 Win shoots. I have shot a lot of animals with my 270 Win.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Heck, probably the majority of hunters…. aren’t “hunters”! 😉 memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Touche...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Most hunters don't handload - that's a fact.

A lot of them can't shoot for chidt too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Jack O'Connor made a living off the .270 Winchester.
I think he also said, that if the .280 Remington was around at the time he adopted the .270, he would have chosen that.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had two .270's. An 80's Model 700 ADL that shot 130 grain Sierra's darn near in the same hole. I killed a lot of stuff with that rifle. Including my largest west Texas muley. I sold it to a friend and bought a Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 when they first came out. I had to have one. The Browning really likes the 130 grain Sierra as well as the 130 Speer Grand Slam. It wears a sliver Leupold VXIII and it's never let me down. I just don't' shoot it much any more since I bought another 6.5 Swede and a 6.5 PRC.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Touche...

👍 memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Touche...

👍 memtb

I've seen some scary schidt man. Especially with trigger happy elk hunters. Probably strung out on meth, like that stupid fu ck SLM. Some people shouldn't own guns.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Touche...

👍 memtb

I've seen some scary schidt man. Especially with trigger happy elk hunters. Probably strung out on meth, like that stupid fu ck SLM. Some people shouldn't own guns.

Some otherwise normal folks completely “lose it” at the sight of game when hunting. It seems to magnify as the game gets larger or more revered/special to the hunter. memtb

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Touche...

👍 memtb

Speaking of no hunting fu cks, found all them pics yet?

I’ll stand by for some target and store shelf pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM

Touche...

👍 memtb

Perhaps a "Prairie Dog" pic! LOL

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by SLM

Touche...

👍 memtb

Perhaps a Prairie Dog pic! LOL

I’m sure he’ll be along shortly to post some hard charging range pics.

Unless he got another paper cut.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I get a kick out of the ‘I don’t post hunting pics due to respect for the animal’ or however he’s phrased it in the past.

However, apparently posting a pic of a half rotted coyote on the rifle range that he admittedly didn’t even bother to go look at until a few days after he killed it, is just a good respectful way to honor the animal. And he claims someone else is strung out on meth….

Here's that Coyote that I shot a few days earlier at 600 yards, drove down close enough to take a pic of it, when setting up my target stand at 600 yards:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...061133/longest-shot-to-date#Post19061133

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin’, he’s a clown.

Can you lend me $40? I’m needing a fix.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I get a kick out of the ‘I don’t post hunting pics due to respect for the animal’ or however he’s phrased it in the past.

However, apparently posting a pic of a half rotted coyote on the rifle range that he admittedly didn’t even bother to go look at until a few days after he killed it, is just a good respectful way to honor the animal. And he claims someone else is strung out on meth….

Here's that Coyote that I shot a few days earlier at 600 yards, drove down close enough to take a pic of it, when setting up my target stand at 600 yards:
I am still trying to get an answer as to what a meth attic is.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/13/24.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Send me a PM if you know where an attic full of meth is.

Thanks,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

It's where they cook the meth

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thinking the BullShitArtist drank to much ThunderBird and passed out again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

It's where they cook the meth
He was actually referring to SLM being a meth attic in another thread. Just wondering what it is.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He outed my addiction on another thread too?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s funny.

BSA’, I know they are big words, but I’ll help you out.

attic
1 of 3
noun (1)
at·​tic ˈa-tik
Synonyms of attic
: a low story or wall above the main order of a facade in the classical styles
: a room behind an attic
: a room or a space immediately below the roof of a building : GARRET
: something resembling an attic (as in being used for storage)

addict
1 of 2
noun
ad·​dict ˈa-(ˌ)dikt
plural addicts
Synonyms of addict
: one exhibiting a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activity
a drug addict
opioid addicts
a gambling addict
: one strongly inclined to do, use, or indulge in something repeatedly
a television addict
chocolate addicts

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well now, I see SLiMdong already threw that half rotted coyote song and dance out there for the world to see. I missed that thread.

It doesn't matter. He's a meanie and a meth attic regardless, but needing $40 for a fix? Damn, he must be hot rolling with some high quality Scooby Snax.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What did that one dress out?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Getting away from the meth attic genre.

I have always found it interesting when someone points out that hunters should be reloading and taking care of their own ammo situation. Fundamentally, I agree. That said not every hunter is 70+ and lived through all of the shortages. They also have not had the opportunity to amass a huge amount of components. Last Saturday was the first time I had seen LR primers in years north of Bangor, $13.99/100. I’m also on more internet lists than I can shake a stick at and I never had a single notification of availability in 21-23. Not one

That said , all through this current mess I have seen 270 ammo in most places and attainable. Federal, Winchester, Remington for $21-$45 per box.

Yes, I agree to guide the younger generation to pick up components when they see them but not everyone has the luxury of age. My neighbors kid is 16 and just trying to get into reloading. He is certainly a hunter but has a tough road today to get into what a lot of the old bastards on here obtained.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Jack O'Connor made a living off the .270 Winchester.
I think he also said, that if the .280 Remington was around at the time he adopted the .270, he would have chosen that.
Yep, because .007 makes a lot of difference.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Well now, I see SLiMdong already threw that half rotted coyote song and dance out there for the world to see. I missed that thread.

It doesn't matter. He's a meanie and a meth attic regardless, but needing $40 for a fix? Damn, he must be hot rolling with some high quality Scooby Snax.

Only the best Scooby Snax money can buy when someone else is paying.

I keep watching my account and haven’t seen the $40 yet?? I’ll pick up some more trash until you get me the $40.

Maybe the BullShitArtist can post a YouTube video or some range pics of a .270 to keep me occupied while I wait impatiently for the $40.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

I have always found it interesting when someone points out that hunters should be reloading and taking care of their own ammo situation. Fundamentally, I agree. That said not every hunter is 70+ and lived through all of the shortages. They also have not had the opportunity to amass a huge amount of components. Last Saturday was the first time I had seen LR primers in years north of Bangor, $13.99/100. I’m also on more internet lists than I can shake a stick at and I never had a single notification of availability in 21-23. Not one

That said , all through this current mess I have seen 270 ammo in most places and attainable. Federal, Winchester, Remington for $21-$45 per box.

Yes, I agree to guide the younger generation to pick up components when they see them but not everyone has the luxury of age. My neighbors kid is 16 and just trying to get into reloading. He is certainly a hunter but has a tough road today to get into what a lot of the old bastards on here obtained.

Good point. I always try to couch my lectures on being prudent with that in mind. I’ve also advised some aspiring handloaders that it may not be worth the time and expense unless they shoot a lot. The money spent getting set up these days would buy a lot of ammo, and the dearth and high price of components makes it less compelling than when I started for certain. Still, a simple setup with a Lee loader or hand press and an inexpensive scale can provide good results and get someone started, as well as provide a bit of self-reliance in a pinch. There are still bargains out there on components if you look, and anyone that shoots already has brass available by simply bending over and picking it up.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JDK

Yes they do…..it’s a far different world than it was when I started at 14 or 15 with my little Lee Loader for my .308 Win. memtb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One point that needs to be made - not everyone is suited to handloading personality-wise. I've met plenty that shouldn't be doing it, and are just a few more loads away from a trip to the ER with half their face gone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One point that needs to be made - not everyone is suited to handloading personality-wise. I've met plenty that shouldn't be doing it, and are just a few more loads away from a trip to the ER with half their face gone.
I have a buddy that wants to learn to load. His attention span isn't suited for such a task.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I gotta admit. I once had a balance beam scale on a less than sturdy surface as I was moving into a new place and hadn’t set up a sturdy loading bench yet, though I did have my press secured. It may have just been a tote that I had the balance beam on. I can’t quite remember.

After weighing a few powder charges and pouring them into the cases, I realized I had set a few boxes of bullets on the same non-sturdy surface, which threw the balance beam off level. I may have leaned on it too, which also threw off the levelness.

Luckily I always shine a light into my cases before seating a bullet to make sure there are no obvious over or under charges, debris in there or whatever else…I noticed a lot of variance in the charge weights and put 2 and 2 together. I dumped that powder, got the balance beam squared away and finished up. That was a learning experience. That is one reason that an electronic scale is nice, and I check the accuracy of it with check weights every 10 rounds or so.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot my first deer at age 14 with the .270. It was a Belgian made Browning BAR. We had only done upland game hunting before that hunt. The ammo was standard Remington 130 grain Core-lokt. My son's first deer was also taken with a .270. This time a Rem. 700 with handloaded 140 gr Sierra HPBT, great mule deer for his first one, ended up scoring 184.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I love 270’s..great cartridge and ammo is plentiful.
Some favorite loads:
110 TTSX with max load of H4350.
Hornady 145 ELD-X precision hunter ammo.

I just received a new 26” 8 twist barrel from McGowen to shoot the Berger 170’s. Pretty excited to try these out.

BP

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
BP -

I have also had good results with the 110 TTSX in my .270s but I prefer Reloader 17. But cheaper bullets and lower velocity also work fine for most of my hunting too.

Regarding the dearth of large rifle primers, not much to be found in stores is true. Probably the same guys that bought up .22LR years ago are now buying every tray of LR primers as soon as they hit the shelves?

Lots of small rifle and small pistol primers though. Buy them instead while they are available!

However, there is still a variety of large rifle primers are available on gunbroker.com

https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition-Reloading/search?Keywords=large%20rifle%20primers&Sort=13

Not the same price as they were 20 years ago but what is? I did score a couple bricks of .22 LR very cheap last summer at a garage sale. Maybe I will get a brick of CCI 200s for $20 a thousand at one this coming summer!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why is it 270 bullets on average have lower BC's than 6.5 or 7mm? I know 270s are traditionally twisted slower but even when bullets seem proportionally similar and of similar design the 6.5s and 7mms tend to have better BCs. Compare say a berger 6.5 140g vld to a berger 270 150g vld and then to a 7mm 168 vld.

Even on nosler able bullets the 270 bcs seem to be a little lower proportionally. The 168g 7mm and the 165 270 are about the same but I'd guess the 175g 7mm is proportionally more in line with the 175g 7mm.

At least there are finally some heavier higher bc 270 bullets available these days. It just seems that if bullets were designed the same and sized proportion to their diameters there should be much difference in bc.

I always wonder why the military keeps leaning towards .277 or 6.8 when there seems to be better options at 6.5 and 7mm. Maybe mathman has the answer. What weight would a 270 bullet be if it was built proportional to a 140g 6.5mm?

Besides the perceived advantage I've had for 6.5 and 7mms the main reason I've never been a 270 guy is much more primal. Growing up my step brother and his uncle both shot 270s and would never stop talking about how much better they were than anything else. And my step brother was such a douche in general I could almost always bet that if it was his favorite it wasn't the best.

They always gave me a hard time for shooting a 6mm. One day when i was 14 or so the uncle emptied his mag at a doe across a canyon, reloaded and was on about his 8 th shot as I came over the hill and saw the deer. I sat down, put my elbows on knees, elevated my little 2-7 vxII about 2 feet over the deers back and dropped the deer he'd been shooting at with my first round.

He was so pissed he never took me hunting with them again. I ironically was the only one with a tag and didn't want him shooting my deer so of course I shot at "his deer". All the way home he was swearing and huffing and puffing. I just kept saying worrying, I figured if a 270 couldn't drop one at that far there's no way my little 6mm could.

It was years before I'd consider owning a 270. I've had a few now and then and some shot quite well. In actuality the cartridge that is becoming my favorite all around big game round these days is a plain old 280 which is so close to a 270. I'm currently using some 280 AIs and a 7 prc but I'm planning an ultimate last rifle and I'm leaning hard towards an 8 twist light sporter 22" plain 280 on a rem or clone. I've been eyeballing a kelbly nanook and wondering if brux will do a 22" #2 in 7mm.

I tried to do my ultimate traveling rifle in 30-06 a few years back. It never shot quite like I wanted but I loved the way it fed and functioned and stacked in a rem mag box. I still regret selling my stainless 700 KS 280.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/14/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had the .280/7mm Express been factory loaded to 65K, probably would have settled on the 160 gr. in that cartridge and never looked back.

That said, the .270/150 gr. has been outstanding.

GR

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Rather have my 308's.

Never a .270 fan. Never will be.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Rather have my 308's.

The .308's strong suit was to produce M2 ball ballistics in an automatic rifle.

Take that 150 gr. ball round, at that same velocity, and give it the Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficient of a 180 gr. .308, in a hunting bullet?

You get the .270 Winchester.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out to 400 yards... it is still one of (if not the) Best in the field.

GR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .270 Winchester is one of those cartridges where today I probably would not go out and build a custom rifle for it. No need, I already have an exceptional Ruger #1B in the same, and it is very, very accurate. More than once put 3 in the same hole at 100 yards. Think it's 8 for 8 on bang flops for deer & hogs. It also has really nice wood, and is semi-collectible being made in 1976. Obviously, this is one of the ones that got an exceptional barrel, and if I found another one close to the same serial number range, I'd grab it without hesitation.

On the bucket list for it is trying 130s with Reloader 26 - which some have discouraged. With the Ruger's 26" barrel I have seen 130's go in the high 3100s, with Reloader 22. Work up, these are not light loads.

It probably would be the last centerfire rifle I'd sell.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I'd add the 6.5 CM to that very good list. Here in the middle of elk country, you can count more 6.5 CM SKU's on the shelves than any of the other three, and by a large margin over the 270 and 30-06. Typically second place for availability after the Creedmoor is the 308 Win. It's really amazing how the CM has taken off...

Yes, the 6.5CM ammo is usually available here if any of my other picks are. I didn't list it because I'm not sure if that will be the case 10 years for now and the other 3 have that extra track record.

Magnum Bob
I do load my own ammo, but it is still handy to be able to pick up some ammo sometimes without loading it. I tend to horde my components to make my most accurate loads. I don't need the most accurate loads every time I go hunting or shooting. No need to load if the corn pile is only 80 yards away and your longest possible shot is under 100 yards.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR
Isn't that 'tard on the left the one that Bogart'd the trophy Mulie last year from some young lady in Utah and then lost his job over it?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GR
Isn't that 'tard on the left the one that Bogart'd the trophy Mulie last year from some young lady in Utah and then lost his job over it?

No. That's his brother. I guess they're twins

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Rather have my 308's.

The .308's strong suit was to produce M2 ball ballistics in an automatic rifle.

Take that 150 gr. ball round, at that same velocity, and give it the Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficient of a 180 gr. .308, in a hunting bullet?

You get the .270 Winchester.

GR

Won't disagree. However, pair the 308 with the 155 Scenar and you have a lightning bolt in your hands.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Ha, ha, that is a great joke.

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.