Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeM78
To care about what happens with wealth after one is dead is the ultimate definition of vanity.
You're dead, it's no longer your concern. Again, vanity.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You have a duty to your family to try to leave them a little better off. You do not have the right nor should you concern yourself with trying to control them after you are gone.
👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sent it on ahead.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by wageslave
Not trying to be a smart ass,
but if I were 57 & had a net worth of 1mil.
I wouldn't be worried about how much I was leaving anyone.
I'd be more worried about it being enough for the next 35 years at my house.
Sadly, a million in today's dollars is not what it was 40 years ago & it ain't gonna get better, I fear.
My .02
Agree, I think the best thing a person could do is remodel your home mainly bathrooms to improve use if disabled. Walkways for wheelchair. If moneys permit, a separate guest quarters to hire someone to help you when your not able. With the cost of old folks homes, I think their will a increase in this type of home designs. I met a young couple that got a girl/ student from another country on a student visa and she lives with the couple and helps take care of their new baby. There are a lot of options if folks think things through.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Spitballin' here..
How about cut off a fat slice for Rick Bin with the stipulation that he has to axe all the sock puppets!
laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Those not used to managing money usually destroy themselves when they suddenly come into wealth. Their lack of emotional intelligence means they only focus on their own immediate emotional wants, which always outstrips the money available to them. As an example, there was a chunt secretary to the CEO at my then employer. She won five million dollars in the lottery and gleefully told us all to suck it. A couple years later, she was back again working as a secretary but now divorced and broke. Hubby (and probably her to a certain extent) got into drugs, bought a bunch of stupid crap. Went on extremely lavish vacations spending hundreds of thousands each time, etc. Later, she stated she wished she never had won that money.

To care about what happens with wealth after one is dead is the ultimate definition vanity.

In certain ways, yes.

But if a person works and sacrifices their entire life for their family. When they pass, to want the best for said family in natural. And if you see a parasite hanging onto one of your heirs, it is very troublesome for many. Would be for me. The worry that your sacrifices won't be going to benefit your kids or heirs, but to some freak that has attached itself to an heir, that is disconcerting.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jackie Chan expressed that he would prefer to donate his fortune to charitable causes rather than bestow it upon his son. “If he is capable, he can make his own money. If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money,” Chan said.

Party like you worked your whole life to do so.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The way it reads to me is that the man doesn't approve of the stepdaughters choices or her lifestyle. So why should he fund it in perpetuity?
Whatever money she gets she will undoubtedly be handing over to/sharing with the tranny. They will probably be donating it to BLM or tranny story time at the library..

I can think of a lot better things to do with money than that.

Last edited by longarm; 03/07/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a SIL who is trash. Smokes more dope than cheech and chong combined. Started giving it to her kids by age 12 to cslm them down.

Her well house froze on the home she was GIVEN. She asked me for help and I told her to dig to the first joint in the pipe and I'll be by to fix it....no charge and I will buy the supplies.

She told me she doesn't need that kind of carma and refused. She has two adult kids living at home and the 3 of them went 4 months without water after she burned the pump down flowing water into the ground.

The inlaws paid for her well repair and an extra $8k to get on her feet. She hasn't worked in the last 7 years.

I made it 100% clear that I'd be happy to buy her a pair of glove to work in, but I would be hurting her to give her $.

I completely understand.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Those not used to managing money usually destroy themselves when they suddenly come into wealth. Their lack of emotional intelligence means they only focus on their own immediate emotional wants, which always outstrips the money available to them. As an example, there was a chunt secretary to the CEO at my then employer. She won five million dollars in the lottery and gleefully told us all to suck it. A couple years later, she was back again working as a secretary but now divorced and broke. Hubby (and probably her to a certain extent) got into drugs, bought a bunch of stupid crap. Went on extremely lavish vacations spending hundreds of thousands each time, etc. Later, she stated she wished she never had won that money.

To care about what happens with wealth after one is dead is the ultimate definition vanity.

In certain ways, yes.

But if a person works and sacrifices their entire life for their family. When they pass, to want the best for said family in natural. And if you see a parasite hanging onto one of your heirs, it is very troublesome for many. Would be for me. The worry that your sacrifices won't be going to benefit your kids or heirs, but to some freak that has attached itself to an heir, that is disconcerting.
Thank you for understanding my position

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A duty?

Please.

Go plant a frigging tree or something.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, given previous generations and my generation have created a mess for my kids, I will do what it takes to help them get a leg up on life. I would like the give them at least the equivalent of a house when I pass.

University, home ownership, and life in general is expensive at no fault of their own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Well, given previous generations and my generation have created a mess for my kids, I will do what it takes to help them get a leg up on life. I would like to give them at least the equivalent of a house when I pass. University, home ownership, and life in general is expensive at no fault of their own.
👊🏻

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's family six kids when the wife mom went and dad went the lawyers could not believe the amount of money that they left charities that helped them back in the fifties and sixties then the kids split up the other 40% I'm talking pretty big bucks more went to charities then the kids... lawyer still shaking his head...
.. I'd stop working now and start taking big trips I'd be fishing in every continent >>>I'll be whacking penguins with a club in Antarctica... then way up north whacking away at seal pups up top of Canada... Bone fishing off Xmas Island...
anything to burn it up

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Well, given previous generations and my generation have created a mess for my kids, I will do what it takes to help them get a leg up on life. I would like to give them at least the equivalent of a house when I pass. University, home ownership, and life in general is expensive at no fault of their own.
👊🏻

You guys are sweet.

In various other threads you/we bitch about the lazy no good younger generation who won't work and wants everything given to them.

By golly no one ever helped us and we turned out great.

Next thread comes around and we have to eat porridge and Ramen so we can give the kids everything they want because times are tough and little Johnny needs help and it's our duty to make sure our kids don't have to work as hard as us.

It gets hard to take the outrage seriously.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s no outrage. Just personal opinions, and personal choices. Yours may be different than mine on this matter. So be it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
Jackie Chan expressed that he would prefer to donate his fortune to charitable causes rather than bestow it upon his son. “If he is capable, he can make his own money. If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money,” Chan said.

My father left me about $110,000. At the time I was doing well enough on my own but did want to honour him in how I spent it so I paid off my daughter's student loan and cleared my mortgage. Being debt free changed our lives. I continued to save what I was spending on our mortgage in a TaxFreeSavingsAccount and now have more than what he gifted me in savings while approaching my retirement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, given previous generations and my generation have created a mess for my kids, I will do what it takes to help them get a leg up on life. I would like the give them at least the equivalent of a house when I pass.

University, home ownership, and life in general is expensive at no fault of their own.

All because of good business practices.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by high_country_

My father left me about $110,000. At the time I was doing well enough on my own but did want to honour him in how I spent it so I paid off my daughter's student loan and cleared my mortgage. Being debt free changed our lives. I continued to save what I was spending on our mortgage in a TaxFreeSavingsAccount and now have more than what he gifted me in savings while approaching my retirement.
Job well done! Your father would be proud!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I'm somewhat with you here.

Wife and I started off with a net-negative worth and in some decent debt. I only ever received a few thousand from an inheritance that bought us some furniture.

I watch people who have had the benefit of true generational wealth that utilize it well, and I realize the odds of me being able to achieve a position of wealth/comfort equivalent to them are pretty steep.

Like you said, even just providing the equivalent of a home to start off with is a huge bump for them.

But I have seen plenty of kids not utilize that inheritance well at all.

My wife and I are of the mind we would like to provide the kids a pretty decent jump start when it is our time. But the best thing we can do is what we are doing now. Forcing them to pay for their own college education. Expecting them to have a job and be working when they have time. Not blowing what little money they have on stupid BS stuff. Not spoiling them with new vehicles. Lavish holidays and vacations etc. Trying to set the foundation that when the time comes, if we are able to leave them something, they will use it to build and not float along in life. If that makes sense?

My kids aren't paupers by any means. We have helped them plenty. But that help came after expectations we laid out were met.

Last edited by Tarkio; 03/08/24.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Spend it before you die...
Just think of all the guns over your lifetime that you liked but didn't buy.

But you say, my safe is full. Maybe it's time to go shopping for a new safe, a really big one.

Gotta think outside the box, probably need a bigger box, anyway.

The one who dies with the most toys, wins....

DF

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,232
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.