Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Using pressure testing equipment (in my case an Oehler 43) can be a very humbling experience for a handloader. The number of variables can almost seem infinite. The number of different types of chambers, barrels, powder, primers, bullets, cases and the means they can be assembled is just a start. And then add in lot to lot variations and the fun compounds.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
Using pressure testing equipment (in my case an Oehler 43) can be a very humbling experience for a handloader. The number of variables can almost seem infinite. The number of different types of chambers, barrels, powder, primers, bullets, cases and the means they can be assembled is just a start. And then add in lot to lot variations and the fun compounds.
Logger
You got that right ! shocked

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, both of us did!

I spent considerable time "experimenting" with Charlie and his Pressure Trace when he was in Texas. Was also lucky enough to spend some time with Western Powders' piezo setup in Miles City--and have visited other pressure labs of bullet companies and one major American ammunition company.

They all provided lots of information, including things not described in manuals.....

Last time I saw John Linebaugh we talked and looked at numbers from Western Powders.

I don’t show them to folks much. Just eye openers.

And that’s in a 500L……..same bullet weight and velocity……..except one was 35k psi…..one was 80k

John loved the study of pressure and velocity. Moving out there and looking forward to reading in his library.

Precision Shooting is another pleasant read.

Thank you for this thread.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the tests I performed at the Wester Powders piezo lab dealt with the "accuracy" of the long-time pressure-signs still used by many handloaders. I handloaded some rounds for three different rifle cartridges using such signs as flattened primers, case-head expansion, sticky extraction, and ejector-hole marks on the case heads.

Then I loaded up new cases of the same brand with all three loads and we tested 'em in the Miles City lab. It turned out that one load just about spot-on, another was way under SAAMI pressure, and the third was way over SAAMI pressure.

Ran some other tests in their lab back then, and it turned out that most "pressure signs" except primer flatness don't show up until around 70,000 PSI average maximum pressure--which is 5000 PSI more than SAAMI allows for any cartridge. Primer flatness, however, can occur even with pressures in the 50,000 PSI range, usually due to a little more headspace than SAAMI specs allow.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Any of this pressure peak variance have anything to do with barrel harmonics/vibration? JB, any notice of a more consistent pressure curve with a full-length bedded NULA vs. something with a generous free-float or tip-pressure?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have tested that and found no correlation .

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I have tested that and found no correlation .
And there's no reason there should be any....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks to CharlieSisk and the others for their contributions! I don't have much to contribute, but have a couple other questions:

Some loads can have 5000 psi swings and less than 10 fps spreads. When you look at the pressure curves, you will see the area under the curve is the same, just shaped differently.
Would this be a factor in the 7mm Rem Mag's lower SAAMI MAP pressure? I've read how wilder pressure swings in that round have been cited as a reason for 62K psi vs 65.

I truly wish several here on the Fire would purchase some pressure testing equipment. And spend a fair amount of time and money learning how to use it. And I promise, it will be more time and money than you think. One of the most eye opening things I learned first, was that the electric grid in the US has far too swings to be able to use for this type testing. At least in Kentucky and Texas.
And test a lot of different cartridges and powders and bullets. Then, start trying to test primers. That's a real head scratcher.
I used to think I knew a lot about handloading and such until I went down this path.
Charlie
What sort of pressure testing equipment would your recommend these days to someone who wanted to dabble in testing?
Also, when you mention the electric grid swings, are you saying the variables in grid AC power introduced inconsistencies into your results?
This is good stuff, thank you for posting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread. Can you (John or Charlie) tell if you have experienced a pressure change with faster or slower twist rates?
It was an argument in another thread here years ago.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jeez - it's a wonder the average joe reloader can get things to work as well as they do.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
PGoat
I have not experienced these swings in 7mm RemMag. But...(dam thing came up again crazy)...the testing I have done in this caliber is with the rifles I have built. Properly cut chambers, good barrels, etc. With good components it seems to work as well as any other.
Except for one time....I had a batch of new Norma or Lapua brass in 7mm Rem Mag. Built a rifle, it shot like $h!#!. Velocity, accuracy, pressure, all over the place. Then, I learned about annealing, and all those problems went away.

Last edited by CharlieSisk; 03/07/24.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Interesting thread. Can you (John or Charlie) tell if you have experienced a pressure change with faster or slower twist rates?
I have not experienced any connection between twist rates. That doesn't mean its not there, but I cant find it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Twist has a very minimal to no effect on pressure

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Thanks to CharlieSisk and the others for their contributions! I don't have much to contribute, but have a couple other questions:

Some loads can have 5000 psi swings and less than 10 fps spreads. When you look at the pressure curves, you will see the area under the curve is the same, just shaped differently.
Would this be a factor in the 7mm Rem Mag's lower SAAMI MAP pressure? I've read how wilder pressure swings in that round have been cited as a reason for 62K psi vs 65.

I truly wish several here on the Fire would purchase some pressure testing equipment. And spend a fair amount of time and money learning how to use it. And I promise, it will be more time and money than you think. One of the most eye opening things I learned first, was that the electric grid in the US has far too swings to be able to use for this type testing. At least in Kentucky and Texas.
And test a lot of different cartridges and powders and bullets. Then, start trying to test primers. That's a real head scratcher.
I used to think I knew a lot about handloading and such until I went down this path.
Charlie
What sort of pressure testing equipment would your recommend these days to someone who wanted to dabble in testing?
Also, when you mention the electric grid swings, are you saying the variables in grid AC power introduced inconsistencies into your results?
This is good stuff, thank you for posting.

Most electronic test equipment has stabilized distribution transformers, and in most cases are DC. NMR,IR,Mass Spect., Xray diffraction. These usually cost more than the measuring device. It depends on how many zeros to the right you want to go. The pressure equipment uses an algorithm that is built into the chip, and gives the time/length pressure curve seen on the observation device. If measurement interval is made smaller this curve will have peaks in it not "smoothed" out by the fitting log formula.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by centershot
Jeez - it's a wonder the average joe reloader can get things to work as well as they do.

Understatement--- good thing those random errors cancel out the systematic ones.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a strain pressure measuring system. It's a Faber unit before Ristow offered his Pressure Trace (I also have an unused PT). The Faber captures Peak Pressures (actually it produces a number that he termed "microstrain" that I have to convert to psi via a closed vessel formula. I primarily used it to work up service rifle loads for the 90gr JLK (to keep from blowing ourselves up in uncharted territory).

Funny I just decided I needed to get a PTII and found they're discontinued. I have an email in with Schaefer with fingers crossed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm not sure that is a question that strain measurement can answer definitively. Mounting a gage on a barrel makes it a unique system that provides strain measurements. You then have to calculate the pressure given a multitude of factors such as barrel dimension, brass hardness etc etc. Mount a gage on a different barrel and you've created a different system subject to it's own calibration etc. Calibration between barrels (systems) is a challenge unless you're prepared to use a high pressure oil system as Harold Vaughn did or have access to expensive high pressure measurement equipment. I had a reference lot of ammunition that I'd fire before each session to ensure all was as expected. As imperfect as that was, it was as simple and practical as I was willing to go. Ristow felt that his computer algorithm did a good enough job with calibration. I was skeptical.

From a purely engineering perspective, the energy required to increase spin on a bullet (for us it was going from 1/8 or 1/7 to 1/6.5 was neglible. This was borne out in our firing tests. Same load in same chamber design shot to pretty much the same velocity whether it was in an 8, 7 or 6.5 twist.

Mr. Sisk, I'm curious how you're calibrating your PT? Are you going with the software calibration?

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/07/24.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Most experienced handloaders eventually learn that there are standardized or common velocity thresholds where pressure safety and accuracy can be expected as a reasonable outcome. longer case life will support those velocity ranges per cartridge and the loading manuals have been teaching us that for decades if we listen.

Once a hunter learns that chasing that extra 100fps doesn't mean much in the field and could be the reason that the extra level of accuracy you are wanting is absent, things get a lot easier and a lot safer for the rifleman and his components.

If you want magnum velocity, great, but get it from a magnum case. Life can be simple if you're smarter about it.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Most experienced handloaders eventually learn that there are standardized or common velocity thresholds where pressure safety and accuracy can be expected as a reasonable outcome. longer case life will support those velocity ranges per cartridge and the loading manuals have been teaching us that for decades if we listen.

Once a hunter learns that chasing that extra 100fps doesn't mean much in the field and could be the reason that the extra level of accuracy you are wanting is absent, things get a lot easier and a lot safer for the rifleman and his components.

If you want magnum velocity, great, but get it from a magnum case. Life can be simple if you're smarter about it.

Well and succinctly said, AGW.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Twist has a very minimal to no effect on pressure

Thanks Charlie and Chris. My thoughts were same, jwp. The amount of energy to twist it IS FAR less than needed to launch it. But inanet warriors thought otherwise.
And, Chris, yes it would be very hard to test for being in different barrels.
Thanks all.

Sean
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 59 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.