Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Wildcats don't have to be all that wild to do the deed. My friend Muffin posted on the .22 GTC and it's a useful cartridge IMHO.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And they can be fun!

I've had a couple of .22 K-Hornets and enjoyed them greatly.

But then one day I got serious....

The Loony World is a good place to hang out, but I don't know that I'm as seriously infected as some of you galoots.

If I had a friend named MUFFIN----I wouldn't tell anyone about it!!!

Your sense of humor is insufficiently developed to allow your employment as an air traffic controller. If you came face to face with the blond bomb that gave him that name you would wet your pants. Might be when she started laughing at you that you would have a stroke.

😱

Lovely lass, she was..... firm thighs, supple, pouting breasts..... IIRC!!! Or was that the one we called Dairy Queen!?!?!?!?

We rarely got to pick our nickname.

smile

Last edited by Muffin; 02/25/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wildcats don't have to be all that wild to do the deed. My friend Muffin posted on the .22 GTC and it's a useful cartridge IMHO.

And they can be fun!

And they can be fun!

Thanks for the post.

What was the distance you both were shooting, 100yds?

That's a caliber (22 Hornet) that I'd definitely like to get in on. This and .17 Hornet

Last edited by papawolf; 02/25/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Early load development, shot at 20 yards. Nearing the end of the journey at 50 yards....
My preferred load is a Lyman 311041 (9 BHN) with 5.2 Blue Dot. Average group at 50 is 1/2-3/4" for 5 shots.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Muffin

And they can be fun!

The Loony World is a good place to hang out, but I don't know that I'm as seriously infected as some of you galoots.

If I had a friend named MUFFIN----I wouldn't tell anyone about it!!!

Your sense of humor is insufficiently developed to allow your employment as an air traffic controller. If you came face to face with the blond bomb that gave him that name you would wet your pants. Might be when she started laughing at you that you would have a stroke.

😱

Lovely lass, she was..... firm thighs, supple, pouting breasts..... IIRC!!! Or was that the one we called Dairy Queen!?!?!?!?

We rarely got to pick our nickname.

smile

You may be correct, but I was thinking it was the short haired Amazon blonde that likely would put the hurt on the Terminator with a simple glaring stare. She was a "wildcat" to be sure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
smile At least it wasn't the Wildebeast, or BAM

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by captjohn
358 wsm - the round winchester shoulda woulda coulda LOL

I built a 375 WSM on a Lone Peak action and have really, really enjoyed it. It is a hammer, even at low velocities.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pretty benign in the "wildcat" realm but, the one I've shot the most is a 243AI. I had it made for F-Class about 15yrs ago. New Haven "FN" action close-out from CDNN, Brux MTU contour 1:8 in an adjustable A-3 McMillan. I shot it several seasons and let my buddy's kid shoot it for a season then I sort of fell out of shooting the matches. It's got 1400-1500 rounds through it, It doesn't clean as easy as it used to, and the throat has a significant lizard-like quality to it through a bore scope. However, it's still very accurate w/105's @ 3250fps and I haul it along when I shoot steel plates or prairie-dogs.

My other "wildcat" is even benigner, a 700 w/1:8 Krieger Sendero-taper in 223AI.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Before the 6mmC came about I built a 6mmSLR (Super Long range).

Basically a .243 with the shoulder pushed back:

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/07/the-6mm-super-lr-243-winchester-made-better/

Works pretty well, like a 6mmC +P

I've also got a .40-70W (M) from my BPCS competition days. Basically a .45-90 (2.4") necked down to emulate the .40-65, but keep a 408 grain bullet fully seated protecting the grease groves:

The guys that put it together designed the reamer using Starline .45-90 brass and a Brooks 408 grain, so the bullets could be slip fitted VS "seated".

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My favourite:

.338-06

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've built two.....both long since gone

260 AI & 6XC both 8 twist Pac Nor barrels

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For over 20 years my favorite elk and other big ungulate gun was my .30 Gibbs shooting 180 gr Partitions. I've since replaced it with my .300 Weatherby and 180 gr TTSX bullets.

Since the late '70s, my deer, antelope, and sheep rifle has been my .257 Ackley shooting 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullets.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Torque
Originally Posted by captjohn
358 wsm - the round winchester shoulda woulda coulda LOL

I built a 375 WSM on a Lone Peak action and have really, really enjoyed it. It is a hammer, even at low velocities.

Only one anymore is a 375/350 in a lightweight Mauser carbine. Thumper for sure! No big hand cannons anymore as the arthritis in my hands now won't allow them anymore.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by papawolf
There seems to be a ton of calibers for the Contender, especially when you add in the Wildcat calibers.
What would you use or have used, that you'd call the best wildcat caliber for whitetail deer at 200yds or less?
What about the best caliber for coyotes, feral cats, bobcat and fox out to 200yds?

Right now, I use 7mm-08 for everything, including the above varmints, plus hogs and deer on the Encore platform. Only because I never know what will pass by.
I have a Marlin .17 HMR that I shoot stripper necks from the ponds and an occasional beaver.
I've already got 5 G1 Contenders, (4 pistols and 1 rifle) and pistol barrels in .45c and 30-30.
I'd like to explore the other calibers, like a .17 fireball or .221 Rem. and maybe the 35 Whelen.
But I'd like to get your input on your choice, before I start collecting different caliber barrels (you know that's addictive)
and still may not get what I was "looking/hoping" for.
Thanks

I am a reloader, so loading wouldn't be a concern.

Why limit yourself to Wildcats? Personally For the stated use I would have to go with something in 6mm. With the wildcat criteria I'll lead off with 6x45 with cheep abundant brass in mind. Though 6mm Grendel would allow you to step up the velocity a notable amount.

Though I feel you would do well to consider 6mm ARC if you can buy into the 6mm cartridge. Wide range of bullet options including the all copper choices. Hammer, Hornady 90 grain CX Barnes has some fine offerings as well. If you are stuck on cup & core I think you may find at least a dozen fine options from Partitions up to 108 grain Elite hunter. For your ranges I would give a 90 grain CX hard consideration. Just my 2 cents worth of thought on your question.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I appreciate the info, and I do like 6mm. I built an ar 6.5 grendel but really haven't shot it that much. I've been hooked on the 7-08 for a while. It's kinda like the best of both worlds on varmints and deer.
I liked my .243 but I started having deer travelling up to 20-25 yards after the hit. Before, I was dropping them where they stood. Still hitting the vitals but I guess the main reason was the distance of the shots and not enough umph to do more damage?
My .243 is great for deer and varmints too using 100g sp, but I'm a bit leery of dropping the grain weight for deer, even with the better bullet designs. It was just easier to step-up to the 7mm08. I'd certainly be in on the 6mm-SLR, strictly for varmints with lighter bullets. I believe it'd be a hoot for target shooting too. I have a .204, it's darn fast and flat. But I'm looking to something new (to me) that's fast, flat, accurate and many options on bullet weight. That's why I'm looking for tried and trued personal recommendations from people who have used or are still shooting their favorite wildcat caliber.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
280 AI

I’m sorry, favorite caliber? 7mm. That covers both .284 & .308.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I didn't have a 257Roberts already, I'd have a 250 Savage Improved built instead.

The 6.5CM is better yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been dealing with Wildcats for over 50 years, for many different customers and dozens of different shells. In the last 55 years or so I have probably done well over 200 different rifles in wildcat chambers.

Because of that history I have NO favorite wildcat, and if a cartridge is a wildcat, it is by it's very existence NOT a favorite.
I fact such cartridge are on the opposite end of my "favorite" list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Favorite wildcat cartridge is 6MM-284. Covers a lot of bases pretty well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For your purposes, the 6BR, 6PPC, 30Harret, 300 Savage, or any other WC in those cases/capacities.
I've got most all the components I need for a 35WHln AI.
Not sure I'd want it in a pistol, but the idea of pistol bullets and cast lead at low velocity and light recoil for plinking or small game has its appeal.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.224”. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.