-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of folks on both sides of the 'ban the books' issue are zeroed in on what may, or may not be in the children's section of the local or school library. All well and good.
However, what is never discussed, thought of or considered, are those books that are NOT in the library. The classics are gone. The books that provided the foundation of Western thought are gone. The history books that told real history from the point of view of folks that lived in the time............those have disappeared.
Virtually all the folks that run the library game are ultra liberal. They are the ones that censor, eliminate, remove and hide all the book that do not meet their woke agenda.
To exacerbate that, if you are NOT woke as an author, it's dang hard to get published. Look at the web site of every major publisher. The first thing you see is the importance of DEI and 'correct' thought.
The popular saying "go woke, go broke" does not apply within the world of publishing and libraries. There, it's go broke if you are NOT woke. And no one ever notices.
Prove me wrong............

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who decides the budget for a school library? The superintendent with approval from the school board, who also oversees, hires, and fires the superintendent. If the community (you) wants certain books in the school library, you can get those books into the school library. If the librarian doesn't like it, she can quit. I know most superintendents and school boards don't like to micromanage like telling a librarian what books to buy, but if the school library is a problem, it can be resolved iwithn a year or less. If you start now you can get the problem solved before the new school year starts in August.

Similarly for a public library - mayor or city manager and the city council (or county executive and board) have oversight over the public libraries. You can request books be purchased and then make sure they're on the shelf.

Likewise, if you think certain books shouldn't be in the library, you and a group of friends can keep them perpetually checked out so they don't pollute the minds of our youth.

You're a taxpayer and a voter. You have more power than you might think.

Edit to add, diplomacy goes a long ways in getting those type problems resolved. You might even consider working it out with the superintendent or mayor for you and friends to donate some classics. Who can make a good argument against classics?

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 03/08/24. Reason: Added last paragraph
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
A lot of folks on both sides of the 'ban the books' issue are zeroed in on what may, or may not be in the children's section of the local or school library. All well and good.
However, what is never discussed, thought of or considered, are those books that are NOT in the library. The classics are gone. The books that provided the foundation of Western thought are gone. The history books that told real history from the point of view of folks that lived in the time............those have disappeared.
Virtually all the folks that run the library game are ultra liberal. They are the ones that censor, eliminate, remove and hide all the book that do not meet their woke agenda.
To exacerbate that, if you are NOT woke as an author, it's dang hard to get published. Look at the web site of every major publisher. The first thing you see is the importance of DEI and 'correct' thought.
The popular saying "go woke, go broke" does not apply within the world of publishing and libraries. There, it's go broke if you are NOT woke. And no one ever notices.

Prove yourself right. What classic books do you think are not on the shelves of my local library?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rambling,
everything I said is predicated on three things. First, Citizens have to be actual users of their library and to notice what is NOT there. Second, they have to be aware of how things work and who makes the decisions, and third, you would need someone in an 'oversight' position, be it politician or whatever, that agrees with you.
My point is that things are just not what they used to be with information, publishing and library stocking. The entity that controls information, controls....

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mannlicher,

If you've noticed it in your community, you can fix it there and start a movement across Florida that could then spread across like-minded states.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Washington State legislature just passed a Parents Bill of Rights law unanimously in the state Senate and overwhelmingly in the state House, too. That's a strong indicator that there's a silent majority, including many libs, who have decided things have gone too far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The above was my visceral response. My well-considered response is thank you for bringing the issue to our attention so we can address it in our own locales. Do you have a list of books we should be looking for at our libraries?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Mannlicher,

If you've noticed it in your community, you can fix it there and start a movement across Florida that could then spread across like-minded states.

no, it can't be fixed here in my fair city. Alachua County is 80+ percent dhimmicrat. Every elected position in the County is held by a liberal. The library is a haven for gay, liberal, trans and activist workers. If things are different in your location, then your ideas may be make a difference
there, but your library is still run and staffed by liberals, and the publishers are as I have outlined.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/08/24.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A related issue is getting and keeping kids interested in reading books in this social media world. Parents need to regularly take their kids to the local library.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I go to the library once a year to print out a bunch of brackets for March Madness

There is never anyone there.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In today's schools you're likely to have a librarian who claims they are the only one qualified to make those decisions. Their associations seem to be promoting the idea that principals, superintendents, etc cannot make those decisions because they don't have the proper training and certification. As a chool business manager, I became concerned with our library purchase budget and their disposal procedures, and ran headlong into that. Unlike her principal, though, I didn't back down. That was several years ago and I've since retired, but I'm sure it hasn't gotten better.

If I was going to pursue the issue today, as a parent or concerned citizen, I'd start by requesting the library budgets for several years, the purchasing policies and procedures for library book purchases (who approves them), policies and procedures for disposals/removals, and a report of their inventory and circulation. You won't get names of who checked books out, but you might get the number of times a book was checked out. Libraries, both public and school, are public governmental agencies so certain records should be made available.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Rambling,
everything I said is predicated on three things. First, Citizens have to be actual users of their library and to notice what is NOT there. Second, they have to be aware of how things work and who makes the decisions, and third, you would need someone in an 'oversight' position, be it politician or whatever, that agrees with you.
My point is that things are just not what they used to be with information, publishing and library stocking. The entity that controls information, controls....

So what was the last book that you wanted from your local library that they didn't have?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by bpas105
In today's schools you're likely to have a librarian who claims they are the only one qualified to make those decisions. Their associations seem to be promoting the idea that principals, superintendents, etc cannot make those decisions because they don't have the proper training and certification. As a chool business manager, I became concerned with our library purchase budget and their disposal procedures, and ran headlong into that. Unlike her principal, though, I didn't back down. That was several years ago and I've since retired, but I'm sure it hasn't gotten better.

If I was going to pursue the issue today, as a parent or concerned citizen, I'd start by requesting the library budgets for several years, the purchasing policies and procedures for library book purchases (who approves them), policies and procedures for disposals/removals, and a report of their inventory and circulation. You won't get names of who checked books out, but you might get the number of times a book was checked out. Libraries, both public and school, are public governmental agencies so certain records should be made available.

School libraries are a game. Publishers (funded by the swamp) make left leaning liberal books available to school libraries and school districts for low cost, close to no cost. Fortunately, our HS Librarian is a Christian. Things that get into gender benders, deviant sex, etc, are either returned or scrapped. Most schools take the "freebies and deals", process them, and put them on the shelf. And the liberal trash propagates.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Copy rights ran out on all "the classics".

You can get them free online:

https://www.gutenberg.org/

No need to go the the library.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Finn Agaards' "Guns and Hunting" has topped $300 new or used on Amazon. Does that count?
Maybe it's DEI compliant?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The public library that I used to go to is now 81%
AA (Afro American) in the county. The homeless bums have taken over
especially in the summer months when it’s hot. They also dump their kids off or instruct them to go to the library after school for free babysitting. The staff is overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of unsupervised brats who’ve had no home training. They destroy the restrooms and they even had to weld up the return drop box
because they were putting crap and dead animals in it. Several years ago, a city detective came in to return books and when he went to his car, someone broke his window and stole his pistol that he had left in the console. I grew up going to a book mobile and using a library card. Taught my kids the same, the 53 year old son told me how much he appreciated me taking him to the library starting at age 3. Same for the youngest He grew up in this particular library. He’s now 40, a pastor and writes books, podcast the non profit Scripture Memorization organization he works for. He told me and Mom he has memorized Philippians and the B Attitudes recently., plus a lot more. He memorized his 234 pp thesis for his doctorate when he had to defend it. It’s shameful that a certain segment of our society is not civilized. The Great Society my butt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.