Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1000 words. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
You will never make it to my moose camp with anything less than 300 Win / 300 WSM, have no use for wimpy dudes in my camp that are scared of any 30 caliber cartridge

Well, that's probably best anyway as most of us would rather have a bowling ball dropped on our tongue than sit around Camp Cro-Magnon, chewing on tinfoil for dinner and rochambeau'ing one-another afterward.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Having had them all,along with a 30-378(Sako),the 7mm RemMag is an easy choice. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

+1000

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SKane
You will never make it to my moose camp with anything less than 300 Win / 300 WSM, have no use for wimpy dudes in my camp that are scared of any 30 caliber cartridge

Well, that's probably best anyway as most of us would rather have a bowling ball dropped on our tongue than sit around Camp Cro-Magnon, chewing on tinfoil for dinner and rochambeau'ing one-another afterward.

Well done.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
recoil in the 300 Win, 300 Wby and even the 300 RUM is simply not that bad, grossly overstated by those who shoot dinky cartridges and are terrified of a slight bump on the shoulder and loud noises

recoil starts to be noticable with the 340 Wby and up from there

I approve this message! šŸ‘ šŸ˜ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very much in agreement!

Some of these guys mustā€™ve learned to shoot at ā€œband campā€! šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚ memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/06/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
And, with todayā€™s medical technologyā€¦..they can attach a penis to replace a pu$$Ā„! šŸ˜‚ memtb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had quite a few each(in 700's),along with 300 H&H and 300 Super(30-8mm RemMag). Hint.

Because bullets matter more than headstamps,the 300 Winny is a superior route,due COAL advantages,which grant opportunity to better projectiles. Hint.

Pass the 7mm RemMag,.796 BC 180's and hold The Fluff. Hint.................

Agreed, hang a 3.6+" mag box on a 300 Win and put good stuff up front and its no slouch at all.

+2. Have one. 200 grain Terminal Ascent with a .608/.304 G1/G7 BC at 2980 fps I have zero complaints. Perhaps a 7mm barrel replacement someday but for now Iā€™m content. Good recoil pad and good stock geometry makes for good behavior too.

Last edited by brinky72; 03/07/24.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Once we get into recoil statements, the stock design doesn't get enough examination or inclusion in the discussion.

If a guy uses a standard classic design stock with minimal drop at heal and then shoots a Mark V stock design, it will be different and not what he is used to and vise versa. No surprise here, except it is too often not stated within the article or the commentary.

I don't think you can categorize a stock shape either, though I have read it before relating to suitability of a particular design to various human shapes. (Referring to men here) I can shoot classic style rifles well and many of my rifles are Winchester Featherweights or similar design, but the instant I pick up a Mark V, I am tailored to the stock. Get the same feel from the old Sako Finnbear design. They fit me better to a very obvious degree when shouldered.

All riflemen need to try this as it is a compromise to buy what looks pretty or popular, when you are more important to the equation.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
They both kick too hard for the performance they generate.

That's where I am. Only owned the WM tho. It's just not enough "more" over a 30-06 to put up with it.
Ditto. The .300WM I had in a M70 beat the chit outta me.. After a magazine or two downrange, I was switching to a .22rf... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have both. The win. is the first one I started with and I still have it an use it. I like the Wea. also, just haven't used it as much. When I am serious about hunting I pick one of these. Sad, the kick too hard for some folks. But then maybe that is a blessing.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both. The win. is the first one I started with and I still have it an use it. I like the Wea. also, just haven't used it as much. When I am serious about hunting I pick one of these. Sad, the kick too hard for some folks. But then maybe that is a blessing.

Cite some particulars of said pieces of fhuqking schit,mainly because it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just bought into the Weatherby fan club (6.5-300, 300, and 340). The main reasons I did was because brass is very easy to find in todays market and Weatherby does a good job keeping us lefty in rifles. If you do some searching you can find brass for just under $2 a case.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weatherby(Norma) brass is fhuqking horrible schit. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps. Hint..............

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
They both kick too hard for the performance they generate.

That's where I am. Only owned the WM tho. It's just not enough "more" over a 30-06 to put up with it.
Ditto. The .300WM I had in a M70 beat the chit outta me.. After a magazine or two downrange, I was switching to a .22rf... laugh

I hate recoil & muzzle blast more than most. Still, I think the package matters greatly.

This place wore me down such that I decided to try a Kimber 8400 in .300 WM that seemed to be goin' too cheap. I figured I could play around with it a bit, satisfy my curiosity, & move it along without losing my shorts in the process.

As it turns out, that rifle fits me so well that it feels to have less recoil than the '06's I've had. I settled on 165 TTSX's: Recoil with that pill is tolerable, and 3,200 fps makes them fly flat enough for anything I'll ever point them at. I figure there's not a lot that 180-200 gr bullets would do at the distances I'll shoot, that the 165's don't.

One man's sample of n=1.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still really like a 300WinMag. Pre-LRF I was 100% POSITIVE I needed the 300Win for anything bigger than coyotes. While I've certainly backed off that, I still use my 300 for elk and I'd likely carry it for Moose were I to hunt them again.

I've killed a couple elk w/270Win (and 1 w/257Wby) and watched a few die via the same sitting next to hunting buddies as well as a couple who used the 280AI. All of them died in fairly short order. That said, the response of shot elk, in particular, I've witnessed killing a dozen elk myself w/300Win and 200gn either NP or TSX, several buddies using same, and another buddy who shoots a 338WinMag w/210 NP and now TTSX is that those wider (.308+ diameter) bullets produced a more significant response to being hit.

300Win w/200's above 2900fps is about as much recoil as I can manage without having to think hard about form, trigger-pull, and follow-through. Meaning I'll flop down any old place and shoot my 300 @ about any angle, including pointing uphill rolled-up behind the rifle and not worry about bonking my eye-brow. More recoil than the 300 w/200's and I'll take significantly more time and care getting things right to keep the scope off my brow.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You I've owned all the 300 magnums save the 30-378 and my main hunting rifle is a 300 Ultra. However for the last few years I have watched my son rock critters from antelope to elk with a 7mm-08 and I am thinking that's about all a guy needs for an all around rifle.
It's funny guys think you need a cannon for moose. IME they are not tough to kill at all. When I lived in NW Ontario I knew a guy who was an excellent and well accomplished moose hunter. He started his career with a 303, then used a 7mm bee followed by 257 bee and finally a 7mm-08.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by horse1
300Win w/200's above 2900fps is about as much recoil as I can manage without having to think hard about form, trigger-pull, and follow-through. Meaning I'll flop down any old place and shoot my 300 @ about any angle, including pointing uphill rolled-up behind the rifle and not worry about bonking my eye-brow. More recoil than the 300 w/200's and I'll take significantly more time and care getting things right to keep the scope off my brow.

This is a really good point and brings up something Iā€™d like to touch on.

In decades of seeing hunters come through camp, and at minimum dozens if not more 300 mag shooters, Iā€™ve been around not more than a handful of individuals who could shoot 300 mags effectively like you mentioned.

Sure, lots of other 300 mag shooters were able to kill animals, but thereā€™s a big difference between the guy dicking around for minutes trying to achieve the proper shooting position so he wonā€™t get scoped and the guy who flops down and puts effective rounds on target in seconds. Additional recoil over that 20ish lb mark, which seems to be the barrier for a lot of folks, makes quick targeting all the more difficult.

More than once, especially when it came to wise, trophy sized, older animals, the guys who could get in position quickly to get off a shot had a chance to kill, while the guys who took forever watched a big set of antlers disappear over the ridge.

Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I worked with a guy that built a 50 BMG on a magnum Mauser action. He shot it just fine with full-power 750 grain bullets. He also ordered a 460 Weatherby without a muzzle break. Those were his two favorite rifles. He ā€œreallyā€ needed the power as his hobby was shooting rocks off hand. I donā€™t think he hunts anything, just shoots those two rifles.

Another guy I know, only had one rifle. It was a Rigby cartridge on a Dakota rifle. He only shot factory ammo. He never hunted, but he loved shooting that rifle.

A friend bought a 338 Win Mag from me because he drew an elk tag in the Black Hills. His teen age daughter used it on white-tail using my handloads with 250 grain partitions. She used it for maybe ten years. She asked me if there were any rifles she could use on deer that recoiled less. I sold her a 270 700 BDL. She shot the 338 very well though.

Then thereā€™s my friend who sold his 25-06 because of too much recoil.

Iā€™m not sure why some people can shoot their NE or big Weatherbyā€™s without complaint.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have and have hunted with both for decades. When loaded to similar pressures out of similar length barrels, and with adequate magazine length to seat bullets out far enough, I donā€™t think there is more than a 50-75fps difference. For handloading, Iā€™ve always found it easier to find accuracy without the WBY freebore. Thatā€™s not to say the weatherbys donā€™t shoot superbly with ammo they like. Indeed, I have two that will clover leaf with certain factory ammo.

Recoil wise, in similar weight and similarly stocked rifles, recoil difference is inconsequential. Thatā€™s not to say recoil doesnā€™t matterā€¦. A couple decades ago, I looked forward to the mental gymnastics associated with shooting heavy recoiling guns into tiny groups. At age 61, I tolerate itā€¦.kind of like going to the dentist. Damn things seem to kick more than they used toā€¦..:(. I will say Iā€™ve never regretted selling a 30-378.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.