-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first Remington was a 4 digit Model 8 35 Remington gifted to me by my Grandfather in 1979. I killed a buck with it shortly thereafter. The gun was bought new by his uncle in 1908. I intend to kill a buck with it in 2024.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first was a Remington 1100, 12ga, 28” full. My father got it for me, and I learned to shot trap with it.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My first was a 600 in 223 circa 1966. I told the fellow at the Embassy Gun Shop in Taipei Taiwan I wanted the first 223 they could get their hands on, as I could get all the ammo I could shoot from the AF armorer. Well the 600 arived and was the ugliest rifle I'd ever seen. It went straight to the armorer and the the rib and shark fin sight were removed, the rib studs milled off and the squared stock given some nice rounding off. Untold cans of 55gr ball ammo went through it and it killed stuff for me for 40 year before the barrel gave up the ghost and now it is continuing on as a 6x45. A few months after that I bought a 742 BDL Deluxe in 308 (again free ammo), fitted it with a receiver sight and sling and shot competitively with the ROC army guys.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was a 700 ADL .270 in 1978 quickly followed by two Wingmaster 870’s, a 12 and a 20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mod 514 single shot 22. Bought with money earned moving lawns . I must have been 14 bought it at the local hardware, I don't remember even asking my folks about it before hand. Better days then now. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Flintlocke: I used to work "off-duty" there at Warshals om Seattles "skid road" and did so for many years.
I worked in uniform and protected the Jewish folks from the marauding ghetto spawn (that would ride on the "free" transit buses from their ghettos to downtown and once there they would caper and steal shidt).
Anyway many (all?) of the employees there in the Warshals store (a combination sporting goods shop, gunsmith shop, camera shop and athletic shoes sales emporium) were Jewish and the owners were two Jewish brothers and the managers and supervisors were Jewish. I did NOT know til I started working there that there was an animosity/fear of negro's by Jewish folks!
Anyway all the hourly wages I earned there were turned into guns and ammo (at a discount!).
That was a excellent gunstore/gunsmith shop at one time - sad to see it gone.
As an aside - one day I was there working in uniform and the owner who had dropped in to see how things were going calls me aside and says "come outside I want to show you something".
I go outside with him and once outside he says "what do you think of that new Federal Building" (which encompassed the whole adjacent city block!)?
I said it sure is beautiful and I'll bet lots of new rich government customers for your store.
He gives me a grin and says - I am already charging them rent! He and his brother owned that city block and built that high rise building on it specifically to rent to government agencies (V.A., H.U.D. etc etc etc).
I will never forget the gleam in his eye and the pride he displayed to me about his property/success. I was shocked as I had NO idea he owned that amazing Puget Sound view property.
Yeah I miss that Warshals store and working there for "mad money". If I recall correctly the Warshal family owned and operated that store for 80+ years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Christmas morning 1977, 870 Wingmaster 26" IC. Still have it. One of my most treasured possessions. Pop has been gone since 1993, love you dad.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
722 in 300sav

Have fun.....j3
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
The first I fired was a Model 788 in 6mm Rem.

The first I owned was a Model 700 in .25-06 Rem, I still have it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
870 Wingmaster and 788 in 6mm.
Bought them both when I was in HS.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
870 Wingmaster LH 20 gauge. I was 12. I used it for everything including deer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Was in my 20s before I could afford a new rifle, and I wanted a left handed 700 really bad. Went into a local shop with a tax refund in my pocket looking for a 30-06 BDL. They had one lefty in stock, but it was in 270Win. Guy behind the counter thought I was just a tire kicker and kept trying to put my rifle back on the rack. I went to gathering up bullets, brass, primers, and powder, and he changed his tune when I pulled out the envelope of money. Can't recall exactly but I think the rifle was priced just north of $300. A lot of money to me back then.

Only thing left of that rifle now is the action, and it's been worked, bolt machined out for magnum bolt face, M16 extractor installed. Heavy Kreiger barrel, oversized lug, Schuler brake, surgeon DBM bottom metal, etc. I made the synthetic stock. 300WM.

A guy behind the counter did that to me once. The second time he put it back I decided to walk out with my money

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first Remington was a 521T 22LR bolt action. My Dad had bought it in the early 50's at a local hardware store for shooting pocket gophers and stripped ground squirrels (we called them gophers too) on the farm. Come early 60's around 1962 I was 14 and had shot it alot with my Dad and was allowed to take out on my own shooting the critters and red tree squirrels and rabbits. Dad advised if I took care of it I could have as my own. The stock had taken some beating over the years from Dad carrying it on the tractor and had some minor barrel exterior issues. When I was a kid I always thought that the 521T was a rifle my Dad carried in WW2 even though he was in the US Coast Guard (North Atlantic/South Pacific duty). To young eyes it looked pretty big and fearsome.

Around 1969 I bought a stock refinishing and barrel reblue kits from Herters and redid the rifle. Came out really well, got alot of compliments from friends and older shooters. Still have the rifle, it served me well as my only 22 rifle until I bought a Marlin 39M in 1970. Still have both rifles and shoot off and on. The 521T will still shoot tight groups at normal 22 iron sight range, stock now has a few normal use dings but is in great shape for being around 3/4 of a century in age. My son shot it alot growing up, daughters did some. All were pretty good with the Lyman rear peep sight. My two grandsons have shot it alot also, both were deadly with it growing up and now claim they can outshoot me with it. They call it the "Double Grandpa 22". Two of my older granddaughters like it also. Someday probably have to have a drawing on the Ol Rem 521T to see who gets it, but there are other 22's in the stable maybe just one of em will want it. Great 22 rifle with alot of history over the years.

The 521T is the firearm that sparked an interest in gunsmithing with me. Before I refinished it I was curious as how it worked. Took it all apart when I was around 17 or so. Cleaned it up real well and then came the part about putting it back together. Was a pretty good puzzle. My Dad advised a person should know how something goes back together before taking apart, but advised me to study the parts really well, visualize how they might work, try this and that and it will come together. He could have done it but left it up to me as a good teaching. After studying the parts, trying this and that I got it together, was a breeze in the future takedowns. That time and exercise was the catalyst in my mind that gave me the ability to disassemble and reassemble about every firearm type I've run across without any schematic, just study the parts. Thanks to the Remington 521T over the years, great memories.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In a moment of weakness, a 1901 Remington rolling block 7x57 followed me home Friday. All original, tight crisp action but the bore looks like a poorly maintained culvert. I will begin scrubbing on the bore this weekend. Maybe Gnoahhh will chime in with some tips to ease my journey of (mis?)understanding.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
700 ADL 30-06...1973 or so...Put an old Leupold 4 power scope on it and killed my first deer with it on Buck Mountain near Mt Adams...My dad etched his name on a metal plate near a quarter section marker and in 1994 a friend found it and sent it to me...He and my Dad worked together on the Mt Adams Ranger District in the 60s and 70s...Got my first elk on the Lewis River drainage in 75 or so

Last edited by sgt217; 03/10/24.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
My first was a 722 in .222

It was my only centerfire rifle for a good while and as such it got shot a fair amount. It was probably a bad “first” rifle to own as even tho it was nothing fancy boy did it shoot. Spoiled me something fierce!

My LGS had some manner of soft point Remington ammo for 14-15 bucks a box So I’d grab a few and head out. Even with the cheap 3x9 tasco it came with that rifle was a shooter…

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
700 BDL 7 mag in 1974

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First shotgun: Dad's 11-48 Sportsman in 12 ga.
Kicked like the proverbial mule. Likely why dad carried my .410 when we hunted rabbits and l had to carry his Remington. Wisdom comes with age.

First rifle: Model 700BDL Varmint Special in . 243.
Bought it from a NJ State Trooper friend when I was a senior in H.S. First centerfire rifle.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started with a Remington 514 .22 single shot rifle at the age of 8. That was my first rifle, and my father and I used to go behind our house into a small gully in the woods and shoot targets. It was great fun, but until I was about 12, I didn't get to shoot that rifle as much as my BB gun because I was required to have an adult with me when shooting a firearm.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
700 ADL in .270 Win. Got it for Christmas when I was 13. It replaced the Marlin 30-30 I’d been shooting deer with. Had it for over 40 years. Still have it, and the 30-30.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,627
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.