Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
how good are they they look nice thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is very accurate with various loads.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have had 2, of the 2005-ish persuasion. Both great shooters, and the ergonomics work well for me. But fit & finish weren't necessarily stellar. Both R3 pads disintegrated (though Big Green replaced them for free), and both barrels picked up lots of copper in very little time.

A guy could do worse. A guy could do better. It's up to the guy to figure for himself if it's worth his particular coin.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The forend is thin, which makes it quite flexible. If you decide to remove the pressure point, be aware that it takes very little movement for the barrel to touch the stock.

The receiver will need to be bedded and the barrel channel will need wood removed for a good free float. The plastic forend tip is hollow, so don't go too deep removing material.

Yes, they are nice looking rifles but I have yet to see one with what I consider attractive wood.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

I thought this 700CDL had pretty nice wood.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sako stands corrected. Beautiful wood.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by skywag
I thought this 700CDL had pretty nice wood.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Well, that gorgeous rifle is absolutely not normal! Wow...What a rifle.

Okay, re the CDL I've got a pair of them one purchased shortly after the CDL line was introduced, I'd guess nearly twenty years ago, a 25-06. The other was purchased a few years later, a 30-06. Both have been pillar bedded, the barrels free floated. 25-06 trigger was adjusted by me to 3# and has been great. The 30-06 had a wonky trigger, I swear it went off at least twice when I merely set my finger on it preparing to fire... So, I replaced it with a Timney and all has been peachy since then.

They're accurate. Ranging from roughly 1/2 MOA to roughly 1 MOA groups with my hunting handloads. I love the more slender stock and the light feel of them. I find them to be good handling rifles and frankly I could do all of my big game hunting with the pair. Between them I've taken elk, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, black bear and grizzly. Also a few coyotes and rockchucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dependable (after I replaced the trigger on the 30-06) and accurate. If you like Rem 700's, but prefer a bit lighter handling rifle, you'll probably like the 700 CDL.

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That is no doubt a beautiful rifle skywag. I've had the CDL 25.06 since they came out and it's an accurate rifle. The only thing I've killed with it is deer and coyotes but it's pure poison on both. I bedded the action, floated the barrel, squared the bolt face and put a 40X trigger in it. It's a flat shooting mild recoiling rifle that hits the target hard and is a pleasure to shoot. Mike

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That’s the limited edition anniversary 700 7 mag. I thought it was advertised as a BDL LE but I could be wrong. Most of them had great wood.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just don't understand that HUGE recoil pad they put on some of them. Really ruins the looks of of it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by blairvt
Just don't understand that HUGE recoil pad they put on some of them. Really ruins the looks of of it.

Agreed. It’s horrible

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Have had several, all great shooters!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
After reading this thread a couple days ago I saw what appeared to be a very nice left hand CDL in 7mm mag at my LGS yesterday for $800+/-

I’m not a lefty nor do I need another 7RM but it was a “timely” find.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hate to be the jackass who points out the turd in the punch bowl but whenever I see Remington 700 discussions there seems to be work required to make them shoot well. That was the standard when I was young rifles needed work to shoot well.

When you buy a Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard & a few others now they just shoot well as-is without so much as a trigger tweak.

One of my hunting partners has a CDL in 30-06 and it is a classic beautiful rifle. It shoots fine not great but the it’s not a super accurate rifle but for hunting it’s fine.

He picked up a synthetic vanguard in 300 Weatherby put a VX6 on it & started nailing targets out past 700 yards on day 2 of owning the rifle.

My lone remaining 700 is an ugly varmint barrel synthetic 22-250 that puts 10 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards with factory & hand loads. It did that after a gunsmith did a trigger job for me.

I haven’t been much of a a fan of 700’s since my first rifle purchase in 1977 of 7mm RM BDL It wouldn’t extract fired brass. Returned & traded for a less attractive Ruger that has killed truck loads of deer & elk and still shoots dime sized groups.

I wish I trusted that exterior beauty of the CDL but like the lovely blonde with the perfect butt I dated many years ago - less beautiful on the inside than the outside.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.