G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those are some classics right there! Love the opinel, so inexpensive and light, but super sharp and dependable. I remember seeing that Russell in the 1960s Eddie Bauer catalog.

Last edited by GlacierJohn; 02/07/24.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Personally, I use a Havalon Piranta for everything. Black tail deer, sheep, goat, caribou, elk, moose, etc.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I skinned and butchered 8 deer with a McCrosky Elk Skinner, and touched it up, just for giggles and grins afterwards. A friend had the McCroskey Trapper Set, and he skinned 300 Beaver that Winter and never touched up the knife.

I hate having to stop and touch up a knife in the middle of a skinning and butchering job.

A lot of knives went on Ebay after I discovered the McCroskey knives.

IC B2

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
RUANA

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
discontinued 7A preferred

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This thread shows you the value and variety in having freedom of choice.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
This thread shows you the value and variety in having freedom of choice.

I enjoy seeing what different folks use.

Great thread.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Has anyone ever used the "Diamond Blade" knives on elk? They sure look/sound capable?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AZtwins
"Agreed, if looking to go custom, Hank should definitely be on the short list."

Being a sucker for a nice knife, where would I go to get one of your knives Hank?

I have two of Hank’s knives i use them on every skinning job.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Benchmade has a good hunt line and they will laser etch your logo and name on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don, I had a Grohmann / DH Russell #1 Canadian Belt Knife from the 1960's. It was my favorite knife. My father happened to be on a trip through Pictou Nova Scotia and dropped in at the Grohmann factory. He bought the knife in the photo in the fall of 1997 and gave it to me for Christmas that year, not knowing it was already my favorite knife. I gave the old one to a friend, and have taken the bulk of the game I've shot here in Montana with that knife. I think of my dad (who turns 95 next month) every time I use it. I find it an essentially perfect knife for game. I've used other knives including small folders like the Gerber LST, but I always go back to the Grohmann. BTW, they do make it with a flat grind available.

I agree with that statement. I've owned several over the years. I'm down to an old carbon #1 found in a pawn shop.

The drop point makes it easier for dressing game without nicking the paunch and for slitting the hide on the shanks when skinning. The elliptical blade is second to none for skinning as it allows the knife to be working no matter what angle you hold it. It's mall enough to work inside a deer and yet still large enough to dress and skin a moose. Perfection!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-LAP-KN...hU0vJw0aLC7J7UnoYemE4QEdWcxoCxLQQAvD_BwE

This combo and an OutdoorEdge Swing blade. This is a cheap way to go and it works. The saw is tough and is nice to have if limbs or branches need to be cleared out of the way or for processing a bit of wood to start a fire. It's an complete simple kit for wood or saw off skull caps.

The replacement blade knives like Havalon are good on flesh as they're basically scalpels but they lack true durability and utility.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi T,

I have this exact combo in my truck. A very good and cheap one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Don, I had a Grohmann / DH Russell #1 Canadian Belt Knife from the 1960's. It was my favorite knife. My father happened to be on a trip through Pictou Nova Scotia and dropped in at the Grohmann factory. He bought the knife in the photo in the fall of 1997 and gave it to me for Christmas that year, not knowing it was already my favorite knife. I gave the old one to a friend, and have taken the bulk of the game I've shot here in Montana with that knife. I think of my dad (who turns 95 next month) every time I use it. I find it an essentially perfect knife for game. I've used other knives including small folders like the Gerber LST, but I always go back to the Grohmann. BTW, they do make it with a flat grind available.

I agree with that statement. I've owned several over the years. I'm down to an old carbon #1 found in a pawn shop.

The drop point makes it easier for dressing game without nicking the paunch and for slitting the hide on the shanks when skinning. The elliptical blade is second to none for skinning as it allows the knife to be working no matter what angle you hold it. It's mall enough to work inside a deer and yet still large enough to dress and skin a moose. Perfection!

TTT just to attach a pic since PM doesn't allow that option???

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cannot recall the number of elk I have quartered up with a Mora. None cost $20.

The little carbon blades sharpen up quick and easy and the knives themselves are quite light.

Pack saw:

I usually take a couple and a tiny little ceramic sharpener, along with a small bone saw. No need to carry the extra weight of some of the heavier knives. In fact I weighed a couple of my "good" knives on my postal scale and while truly excellent knives, they weighed more than twice what the Mora knives weighed. I keep the good knives around for butchering when it is time to cut and wrap the animals at home. I have a bunch of good old Gerbers that get a workout for that kind of thing.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Previously mentioned Lite-Hunter pair:

Attached Images
IMG_0604.jpeg (24.72 KB, 177 downloads)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Please.let me know what knife(s) you use for field dressing elk. Pictures appreciated. I'm looking for one knife to carry and not interested in the replaceable blade category. Thanks all!

This is a situation where the Indian is more important than the arrow. The last knife i remember using on an elk was a Gerber LMF, first generation, not the later one. Anything with a textured grip, blade 3-1/2 to 6 inches long, made of good steel that will hold an edge, and preferably has a bit of drop point, will work fine. On the little end I'd pick the Benchmade Steep Country, middle choices might be their Saddle Mountain Skinner, Buck Vanguard, or Cold Steel Master Hunter, and on the big end, probably Cold Steel's SRK. I do not care about full tang or how brittle the steel might be, etc on a *hunting* knife. It's not a wedge or a pry bar. It just has to cut and keep cutting.

I picked up a dealer-exclusive Cold Steel SRK-C, 5" version in CPM-3V steel, from Midway a couple months back. I expect it to replace current selections in my pack this coming fall.

I do carry a second knife. I like a smaller blade for 'inside work' like diaphragms and for "skinning the anus" if I am keeping the carcass whole rather than quartering / doing "the gutless method". Current selection is a middle size Gerber LST, however, I'm not thrilled with the steel on the newer ones. I used to use a folding knife for that and may go back. I've long carried a Gerber LST with about a 2-1/2" blade but it has become a box cutter and is often dull. Last year I had a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton in CPM-3V in my pack .. that fugger is scary sharp. Plenty light. Might stick with that, might slip the Benchmade mini Bugout to that role. No way to tell.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.