Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19283543 03/09/24
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was in my LGS yesterday picking something up. Did my usual scan of the used racks. Not one thing made the money in my pocket twitch, let alone “jump”, as the wife likes to say.

Very nearly the same applies to the racks of new ones behind the counter. On the counter there was a little rack with an M1A SOCOM, an S&W folding carbine, and a blued Mini-14 I did drool on the SOCOM a little, but that stubby barrel scares me….

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I find very little that interests me at the LGS any more

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On Monday I'm making my yearly trek to Mid-South Guns in Wagram NC. I have no intentions of buying anything, but in that treasure-trove one never knows...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys live in heavily populated areas compared to SD and have to compete harder for used gems or atleast interesting pre-owned stuff. I am not saying it just lays around out there for me either but with less buyers you have a better chance to score nice stuff . mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/09/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
LGS is growing, but still not many Left Hand wares. Whittaker's was the closest place with likelihood of having more than one or two Left Hand rifles... And you know how that goes...

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
On Monday I'm making my yearly trek to Mid-South Guns in Wagram NC. I have no intentions of buying anything, but in that treasure-trove one never knows...

That is the best gun shop I’ve ever been in!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deere_Man

Agreed. It's about 2.5 hours from me and I try to go a time or two each year. Got a friend down from NY that wants to go so we're going. The town makes Mayberry look like NYC and I'm pretty sure the town whore is still a virgin, but Mid-South has a mind-blowing inventory. Only place I've personally been in that could rival it is Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun shops replaced Toys R Us with plastic toy junk. Not a fan. Steel and Walnut for this cracker.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Was in my LGS yesterday picking something up. Did my usual scan of the used racks. Not one thing made the money in my pocket twitch, let alone “jump”, as the wife likes to say.

Very nearly the same applies to the racks of new ones behind the counter. On the counter there was a little rack with an M1A SOCOM, an S&W folding carbine, and a blued Mini-14 I did drool on the SOCOM a little, but that stubby barrel scares me….

I always find cool stuff. Sometimes even at a great deal. Still a lot of "wood/blued" rifles around this neck of the woods.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are a few 22lr's that were on a small portion of one of the walls^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Poconojack

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I traded this same rifle for a handgun that I thought I couldn’t live without and kicked myself ever since. One Day I walked in and looked at the used rack and lo and behold this one’s on the rack barely shot with very close serial numbers to my original so I paid $350 for it. Both were 30-06s and I still haven’t made up my mind whether to keep as is or build something. I was down to one 06 which is plenty for me so it’ll probably be a new build.

Last edited by Nestucca; 03/09/24. Reason: To add bought without the scope
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I traded this same rifle for a handgun that I thought I couldn’t live without and kicked myself ever since. One Day I walked in and looked at the used rack and lo and behold this one’s on the rack barely shot with very close serial numbers to my original so I paid $350 for it. Both were 30-06s and I still haven’t made up my mind whether to keep as is or build something. I was down to one 06 which is plenty for me so it’ll probably be a new build.

I know the shop you go to, or the one close to your house. I've bought stuff there. Nice out of the way honey hole. I've scored on reloading stuff there too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You are correct BSA. I actually know the old boy that owned it and he sold it because of the recoil as some of those ADLs were pretty light and this one’s no exception.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Agreed. They have some amazing stuff on their racks. I spend an hour or better everytime I am in that part of the country wandering thru their store.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I was in the Guns Unlimited store in Omaha yesterday. Same thing. Nothing really jumped out to me. I did take a second look at a Henery 44 mag lever action but at $920 it was an easy pass. They only had Hornady bullets on the shelves and I picked up some 60 grain soft points in .223. The powder was all IMR and Hogden. They didn't have any prices on the powder and I was afraid to ask. No H or IMR 4895.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Buddy of mine owns a local gun shop. If I’m looking for something specific, I’ll tell him to call me if he gets something in on trade or consignment.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I stopped into a shop in central Maine today. Shockingly very few new or used firearms. Most all of what they had was new with the exception of a couple of Axis and Americans. A better supply of shotguns, mostly 12 ga. Small and large pistol primers and some powder.

Overall disappointing.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by beretzs

Agreed. They have some amazing stuff on their racks. I spend an hour or better everytime I am in that part of the country wandering thru their store.

It's one of those places that has to be seen to be believed.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nestucca

Nice one, love the older 700’s! The actions run slick as a greased wiener.
“B” serial number??

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by beretzs

It's one of those places that has to be seen to be believed.

I have never seen so many P64's and old made Kimbers in one spot..

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,349
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.